starletta8

Organizing your nail polish collection?

Nail polish has always been my first love- and my first beauty splurge.  I have a ridiculous nail stash- and one of the things that I struggle with is organization and knowing what colors I have in my stash.  Picking a nail color is usually a lengthy process because I have way too many choices.

I've settled on swatching on nail sticks as a way of cutting down decision-making time, but I'm sure there are other ideas (short of putting them up on what would literally be an entire wall). 

What do you do to organize your nail polish stash?

candacebt

Re: Organizing your nail polish collection?

Well this is a topic that is near and dear to my heart :smileyhappy:. Right now my (200+) nail polishes are stored in tupperware and shoeboxes because I'm moving, but when I get it together I plan on getting the Helmer drawers from Ikea. Many of the nail bloggers I follow swear by it, and apparently it doesn't take up a lot space.

For a cheaper wall storage alternative, I used to use spice racks from the Container Store.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Every time I go to Ikea, I eye the Helmer. Unfortunately, I have but one tiny bathroom in my condo and no space to put one there!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one above 200!

veevali

I saw this video on youtube, it's a nail polish collection by missglamorazzi, and she stores them in a clear over the door shoe storage thing. You should check out the video, I tried to get a screen shoot but its not great.

photo.PNG

I feel like it's inexpensive and a great space saver. You can sort them by color or by brand.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Really clever- but I'd be so afraid of the pockets ripping and nail polish going everywhere.  That might give me some inspiration though...

lylysa

The only thing I would worry about is it slamming against the wall and risk bottles bashing over and over. :-/

I'm sure if it was on the front or inside of a closet door it wouldn't be so bad, but definitely not a bed room door where  it might be more likely to be against the wall.

That would be great in an apartment or loft. Chances are I'd probably still dump out half the selection to pick a color hiding at the bottom! :smileytongue:

aviscardi

I have a 2 tier container that i got around 2years ago at target. im probably around 150?! im at the point where once that 2nd layer is filled (half way now). i really can't buy anymore and invest in another container, i can't possibly even go through what i have now.

every so often i go through my colors and take out what i don't wear and give them to my friends and coworkers. saves them from going to waste and makes room for more lol

I would love to know where to purchase those swatch sticks as well. i also have so many colors, i don't want any similar ones. i bought a few essies last fall and they were dupes of older colors, even a zoya i had just bought so i gifted them

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I buy my sticks on Amazon- there are any number of sellers. If I'm in a pinch, I'll spend more and find US-based sellers. Otherwise, you can really stock up if you're patient.  I think they're normally used for nail art practice and displays.

makeupobesessed

Is it true that nail polish does NOT have to be stored right side up?  I was always told it didnt matter but I know it certainly looks better sitting pretty and facing outward.  I feel as if its a collection I spend money on and is so colorful that it deserves a place to be displayed.  Unfortuantely, I can never seem to find a place for displaying polishes, but I do manage to display some makeup items.  I guess its a trade.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Mine are every direction in their boxes- it doesn't seem to make a difference.  Just make sure that the lids are tight!

At my old place, I had my dresser lined with my Chanel polishes. I lost that space when I moved- but I did leave the Holiday 2012 Dior polishes out on the antique vanity for a few weeks.

makeupobesessed

I wish I had more room to display my nail polish collection on a few cute shelves or something.  Maybe some clear shelves in the bathroom on the wall, but I dont have the room for it.  I have most of my polish in a caboodle type container and the rest in the clear box that was ythe sun safety kit last year.  

ilovetopurplefy

This is an awesome topic! I'm in this phase right now where I've been neglecting to purchase makeup and just been buying a ton of nail care products and nail polish.  I organize mine by brand and color on a shelf in my closet. I've been looking for nail polish rack trees on Amazon but no luck :smileysad: I have 73 and I still want a lot more. My dad thinks I have wayyyyy to many and my mom is just feeding it because I do her nails, and a few of my aunts' nails and I get paid $10 a mani to buy more polish, hahaha. :smileyhappy: Also I have a filing system of the color, brand and finish in my head so I can name any of my polishes off the top of it. Weird I know. I have wayyyyy to much time on my hands. And where do you get the swatch sticks? Nail wheels aren't working for me anymore.

lylysa

I think there are some stacked bins that are about a foot to so high, that way you can line them up side by side rather than have them go straight up.

kimmi1115

Howdy fellow polish lover! lol.  I tried using nail wheels to organize my stash, but that didn't work out well.  I love the stick idea because you can keep adding the sticks to rings, unlike with nail wheels.  Where do you buy the swatch sticks at?  I'm always up for a good polish deal lol.

My storage system is one of the bins like lylysa described. I believe I have pictures of it on another thread in the Beauty Confessions section.  

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I also started out with the nail wheels- and then I was lost quickly (and could never figure out a good way to label the swatches!).  These sticks have plenty of writing room, so it's easy to identify.

I mentioned upthread, but I buy them on Amazon- they're supposed to be for nail art, I think.  They usually come 50/pack, with one screw and nut, but its simple enough (and cheap!) to go to Home Depot and get a few long screws and nuts. It also allows you to insert new additions in their perfect space, color-wise.  I also have a ring of just glitters.

MoreGun89

...I recommend a bigger closet O.o  Just kidding, maybe organize them in a similar manner to your nail sticks, and keep out the colors that you use most often in a "frequent" bin or drawer or something :smileyhappy:

starletta8

LOL, I'm constrained by closet (and bathroom) size.  Right now they're in two of the large plastic bins with flowers on them from Container Store (I know mods don't like external links).

lylysa

(0) Hearts

LOL, you were totally NOT just kidding! :smileywink: :smileytongue:

starletta8

Oh, I know... I have way too much polish!

starletta8

To help visualize, here's my purples:

purple.JPG

And Blues:

blue.jpg

It also helps me to spot holes in my collection (like kelly green, etc).

dianabt

Great idea Starletta8!

I decided to count my nail polishes and came to over 110 bottles.. seriously I have a problem. The color sticks you have are a great idea! Mine are just all in a huge plastic tray under my bed (the only spot for a long tray really) but I'd love to have an easier way to decide what to wear! :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 36 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • aviscardi
    • kimmi1115
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • ilovetopurplefy