houseofdiorxo

OPI vs. Essie??

Hey girls,

Just wondering what your favorite nail polish company is? I absolutely adore the Essie packaging and I think the colors are so cute! The polish goes on very well for me, but I've read some reviews of how some think it is streaky. OPI has the reputation of being one of the best. But, when I used their polish the other day, the paint chipped two days later!

What are some of your favorites?? xx come-to-poppy-opi-nail-polish.jpg.pngDSC_1109.JPG

lovelykatya

Re: OPI vs. Essie??

(0) Hearts

I personally love both of those brands. Both have it's own up and down sides. I love that OPI has a wider brush - easier and faster to apply, also polish coats are little bit more even. ESSIE - I love the cute packaging and nude color selection.

Longevity - is about the same for me, I guess sometime it also depends on the polish itself.

Although I can not stand OPI top and base coats - they get so thick so quick, just a blahhh.. - I do not use them or buy them period.

On the positive side I love OPI's Nail Envy - that stuff WORKS magic on my nails !

Vaashtii

(0) Hearts

After throwing out my old nail polishes years ago, I just started painting my nails again and I have been re-building my collection.  I love OPI and have always had good luck with it. But actually, most of my collection so far consists of Sinful Colors and Sally Hansen. They are cheap, but the Sinful Colors has worked pretty well for me. I've found the Sally Hansen polishes to be hit or miss. I have a couple of metallic shades that last for a couple of weeks, but I have a red that I had a chip in almost every day. 

I also have one bottle from Formula X that seems to be working pretty well and the shade is GORGEOUS. A sparkly red. 

I've been hearing good things about China Glaze, but didn't know where to find it, then I just saw it in an ad from Ulta, so I'm going to check it out next time I'm in the store.

A friend of mine turned me on to the Seche Vite fast dry top coat and I think it is FAB! It dries quickly with a beautiful shine and, I feel like anyway, it helps the polish really last- but some shades seem to be beyond help- i.e the Red Carpet among others I have tried from Sally Hansen. 

I haven't tried Essie yet, because when I am looking at Target, there are never the shades I am looking for, although they offer one, called Bordeaux, I think, that I am going to have to track down. It looks beautiful.

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

I love Formula X! I have several of their polishes and top coats and they are fabulous! You also can get China Glaze at Sally's if you're interested in them. :smileyhappy:

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

I haven't found a polish that's 100% chip-free, but OPI lasts a long time on me. I didn't care for Essie. I found the formula too "rubbery" and took forever to dry.

lnum

(0) Hearts

I've had the same experience as you, Essie always lasts longer on me, and OPI chips very quickly. My favorite brand of polishes is probably Illamasqua. I've worn their polishes for two weeks with no chips, and believe me, that's miraculous for me. My other favorite is the Zoya Pixiedust polishes, they also have great wear time. 

starsandbucks

(0) Hearts

For some reason I have terrible luck with Essie. It chips on me within a day. I prefer OPI. I really like Zoya polishes and China Glaze polishes as well. Although I mostly just get gel manicures and I can get one of those suckers to last 3 weeks without chipping!

LaOread

(0) Hearts

Coming in here to chime in on Zoya & China Glaze, which for me are both more consistent than O.P.I. and Essie. Although, I would recommend Essie (formula-wise) over O.P.I..

O.P.I. will chip on me (sometimes) as well, and I've got a good basecoat & top-coat on every time I do my nails.

4Ali4

(0) Hearts

For me, Essie has a terribly goopy formula that never looks good on my nails. One of my good friends wears nothing but Essie and has great luck with it.

My faves are Zoya and China Glaze, with OPI coming in third. I also really like Seche and Color Club.

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

Between OPI and Essie, I would probably go for Essie. But if you're looking for inexpensive, my favorite is Sinful Colors. They are between 99 cents and $2. There was a study done recently and Sinful Colors lasted longer than Chanel!

NailsForLife

Oh, geez.  Chanel was the first polish I ever threw out because it performed so poorly.  One of my frequent examples of expensive does not equal great quality.

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

There are many examples of expensive not equally great quality. I didn't care for Chanel's polishes either. I was equally disappointed with the bottle of Marc Jacobs polish I had. It's one of the few things I've returned to Sephora. :smileysad:

Since you're a nail junkie, do you like the Sinful Colors range? I love them! 

AshOtto

(0) Hearts

Hello there!

I love the pink Essie on your nails by the way :smileyhappy:....my favs are Revlon and Borghese. Both of these brands last a long time on your nails but most importantly, the color looks even and deep on nails. If you are tired of chipping nails (as i was) get your nails wrapped with UV gel so that they are pretty much incapable of breaking and the color will never fade. Best decision i ever made. If you want, i can post pictures :smileysurprised:)!

Happy hunting!

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

Esse seems to chip faster for me. But I am one of those people who must have weird nails or something because no matter what I do - do it myself, get a salon manicure, regardless of brand, my nails chip w/i 2 days. Salon manicures usually chip the same day - although it is nice to have my nails all professionally cleaned up. Every single top coat and/or base coat I've ever tried seems to make my nails chip faster. I've had the best luck w/ Revlon polishes (the regular old color stay) and with YSL. If I get a manicure and tell them to use polish only the polish lasts a couple days longer than if a base/top coat are used. The ladies who do my nails can't believe that I don't want a base or top coat - but it has so consistently held for me that they seem to make things worse for me.

I just can't imagine having polish last 2 or 3 weeks! I tired gel but it peeled off the top layer of my nails and did so much damage. I have really thin nails and don't need any of them peeling off. 

ATM I am wearing 3 coats of the $1 sephora polish and it has made it to the end of day 2 w/ minimal chips, which is a miracle. 

BTW - I am not a miner or professional landscaper or whatever. I sit in an office all day and come home to take care of two kids. I'd think that my nails get a regular amount of wear. 

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

I use almost everything, but use quite a bit if OPI.  My manicures last at least 2 weeks and only get wear on the tips not chips.  It is all about the top coat.  I use INM Out the Door exclusively. It is the top coat my manicurist recommended. 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

ha I've never been able to get a manicure to be chip/lift free for more than 2 days. I'm hard on my hands... Gel manicures I get 2-3 weeks out of, but no way can I do it with normal polish. 

LindaDD

I prefer Essie, I think they do creme polishes better than OPI. OPI is good for quick manicures, because they tend to have a thicker formula and they have that thick brush, but I think Essie stays on better because you have to use thin coats.

As for application, it depends on the finish of the product. Essie's cremes apply very evenly on me, but cremes are a very forgiving finish to begin with.

And it's hard to write off a whole brand because of a single polish. Maybe you can try a different OPI polish and see how it works on you.

midnightangel

(0) Hearts

I can't stand OPI, which rather sucks because I have tons of their polishes. Their top coats are streaky and leave lines so I just use them as a base coat. And their colors oxidize horribly. The colors change and turn way darker than what's in the bottle and the metallic finish goes flat. I've had issues with them chipping as well. Ugh. My goal is to just use up the OPI polishes that I still have as quickly as possible just to be rid of them.

Never tried Essie...they've always been a bit steep for my budget. But I love most Sally Hansen products.

roseps135

(0) Hearts

"And their colors oxidize horribly. The colors change and turn way darker than what's in the bottle and the metallic finish goes flat. I've had issues with them chipping as well."

THIS!!  OPI chips within a few days on me.  Essie lasts longer, and can last up to 8 days and not have noticeable chips until the 7th day (with Essie top coat).  It also looks nicer on my nails.

I also like Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure polishes

malday

Hmm. Personally I'm an equal opportunity polish lover! If I find a color I love, I'll buy it despite the brand. I've used high end and super cheap polishes and honestly I've had hits and misses from both. Take for example Chanel. Chanel Malice is one of my top go to deep ruby red polishes, it's beautiful! However, it chips amazingly fast one me while other Chanel polishes do not. Same with Essie, some shades are AMAZING while others are a miss. Someone mentioned NYC being garbage but th one NYC color I own actually has amazing staying power, doesn't streak and dries super fast!

TL;DR I don't judge brands, just individual polishes

garnett

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I get my nails done in the salon every two weeks and I have used both Essie and OPI with very good results. Same holds true for other brands like Chanel, Deborah Lippmann and the new ones from Marc Jacobs.  If you are applying polish to  nails that are completely natural (no glue, gel, acrylic, wraps) polish tends to chip more easily.  On the day I get my nails done, I am very careful.  No washing dishes, no popping open cans, no harsh cleaners.  Just because the surface is dry doesn't mean the paint has cured.  It takes hours.  I LOVE Deborah Lippmann's products and apply her high gloss top coat Addicted To Speed a few times in between manicures.  It dries VERY fast and keeps my manicure looking fresh. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 41 replies
  • 27 hearts
  • 34 in conversation
    • niki24
    • mangosong
    • DTalksAll
    • islandqt
    • shyvicki
    • lovelykatya