OPI vs. Essie??

Hey girls,

Just wondering what your favorite nail polish company is? I absolutely adore the Essie packaging and I think the colors are so cute! The polish goes on very well for me, but I've read some reviews of how some think it is streaky. OPI has the reputation of being one of the best. But, when I used their polish the other day, the paint chipped two days later!

What are some of your favorites?? xx come-to-poppy-opi-nail-polish.jpg.pngDSC_1109.JPG

Re: OPI vs. Essie??

(0) Hearts

I used to be an exclusively OPI girl, but lately I've been loving Essie and Formula X more.  However, even though the color selection is more limited, I've found that in terms of staying power and application, Rimmel Salon Pro is amazing! I've had it stay on for over a week without chipping, which is quite the feat on my thin nails!

(0) Hearts

OPI seems to last longer for me then Essie.  The only time I noticed that Essie lasts longer is when I use only the Essie base coat.  If I use another brand, doesn't last long.

(0) Hearts

I think my favourites are Zoya and Julep. They both have lovely, lovely colour selections, and I have yet to purchase a dud formula from either - though Im certain they exist!

(0) Hearts

Essie displays are always so pretty in the store though.

(0) Hearts

I do have a Essie nail polish but it isn't my favorite because it doesn't last long. I discovered Formula X and even though it's pricey, it lasts about a week if you use the system by Formula X! :smileyvery-happy: I do like Revlon and Essie though, but Formula X definitely has a long lasting staying power of you use the system!;-) 

Beautiful colors BTW! Love those pinks<3 

I love both brands, especially Essie's color range and cream finishes. Though most of my nail polishes are Essie, they can be hit or miss. I have some colors that last a full week on my nails with no chips, and others that chip within an hour (I'm looking at you, Butler Please) It's really a gamble. But China Glaze and Zoya are also some of my favorite brands- they offer a wide range of colors and finishes, and last the longest for me!

(0) Hearts

I have always been an OPI girl. I enjoy everything about OPI, the bottle shape, handle, brush shape, color names, color selection, and collections. Year ago I only used OPI base and top coat. I have since switched to Out the Door topcoat and Seche Vite top coat. With these my OPI will usually last 5 days with no chipping and minimal chip wear. Recently, I have started getting into Essie (which I have always avoided because it chipped quickly on me) but now I am having no problem with Essie polishes chipping. I have read about some have that problem with Essie or OPI and I'm really wondering if it is the base coat and/or topcoat being used. Just a thought. I love OPI, I will always be an OPI girl but Essie has some great color selections that OPI just doesn't offer.

[ Edited ]

I personally prefer OPI over Essie. I find the application to be easier for me with OPI (probably the brush). My favorite brush though, is from the Sally Hansen complete salon manicure polish. It's a flatter brush, which I like. 

I LOVE the Sally Hansen brushes. I can't believe more companies haven't adopted the flat brush. 

I actually find her Complete Salon Manicure to be pretty good, especially for the price and the fact that it goes on sale fairly frequently, unlike Essie. As much as I'd love to stock up on Chanel, Dior and Tom Ford, I just can't bring myself to spend more than about $7.

I love the SH flat brush too!

(0) Hearts

I usually only buy OPI because I get them at a nail supply place that gives me a big discount. I love their colors and the wide brush they have. However, I like that Essie has cute colors and that they are in a square bottle, it makes them easier to store

(0) Hearts

I personally love Essie nail polish... the colors are all so wearable and the packaging is cute and small! I also really like Julep, but I'm not a big fan of a lot of their colors. The Essie All-In-One base is great for keeping nail polish on!

(0) Hearts

I personally love both of those brands. Both have it's own up and down sides. I love that OPI has a wider brush - easier and faster to apply, also polish coats are little bit more even. ESSIE - I love the cute packaging and nude color selection.

Longevity - is about the same for me, I guess sometime it also depends on the polish itself.

Although I can not stand OPI top and base coats - they get so thick so quick, just a blahhh.. - I do not use them or buy them period.

On the positive side I love OPI's Nail Envy - that stuff WORKS magic on my nails !

(0) Hearts

After throwing out my old nail polishes years ago, I just started painting my nails again and I have been re-building my collection.  I love OPI and have always had good luck with it. But actually, most of my collection so far consists of Sinful Colors and Sally Hansen. They are cheap, but the Sinful Colors has worked pretty well for me. I've found the Sally Hansen polishes to be hit or miss. I have a couple of metallic shades that last for a couple of weeks, but I have a red that I had a chip in almost every day. 

I also have one bottle from Formula X that seems to be working pretty well and the shade is GORGEOUS. A sparkly red. 

I've been hearing good things about China Glaze, but didn't know where to find it, then I just saw it in an ad from Ulta, so I'm going to check it out next time I'm in the store.

A friend of mine turned me on to the Seche Vite fast dry top coat and I think it is FAB! It dries quickly with a beautiful shine and, I feel like anyway, it helps the polish really last- but some shades seem to be beyond help- i.e the Red Carpet among others I have tried from Sally Hansen. 

I haven't tried Essie yet, because when I am looking at Target, there are never the shades I am looking for, although they offer one, called Bordeaux, I think, that I am going to have to track down. It looks beautiful.

(0) Hearts

I love Formula X! I have several of their polishes and top coats and they are fabulous! You also can get China Glaze at Sally's if you're interested in them. :smileyhappy:

(0) Hearts

I haven't found a polish that's 100% chip-free, but OPI lasts a long time on me. I didn't care for Essie. I found the formula too "rubbery" and took forever to dry.

I've had the same experience as you, Essie always lasts longer on me, and OPI chips very quickly. My favorite brand of polishes is probably Illamasqua. I've worn their polishes for two weeks with no chips, and believe me, that's miraculous for me. My other favorite is the Zoya Pixiedust polishes, they also have great wear time. 

(0) Hearts

lnum is the beautiful Pixiedust queen! I totally agree that it is an amazing formula - long wear time and impossible to mess up when applying. 

(0) Hearts

For some reason I have terrible luck with Essie. It chips on me within a day. I prefer OPI. I really like Zoya polishes and China Glaze polishes as well. Although I mostly just get gel manicures and I can get one of those suckers to last 3 weeks without chipping!

(0) Hearts

Coming in here to chime in on Zoya & China Glaze, which for me are both more consistent than O.P.I. and Essie. Although, I would recommend Essie (formula-wise) over O.P.I..

O.P.I. will chip on me (sometimes) as well, and I've got a good basecoat & top-coat on every time I do my nails.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • come-to-poppy-opi-nail-polish.jpg.png
  • DSC_1109.JPG
  • 023.JPG