OPI vs. Essie??

Hey girls,

Just wondering what your favorite nail polish company is? I absolutely adore the Essie packaging and I think the colors are so cute! The polish goes on very well for me, but I've read some reviews of how some think it is streaky. OPI has the reputation of being one of the best. But, when I used their polish the other day, the paint chipped two days later!

What are some of your favorites?? xx come-to-poppy-opi-nail-polish.jpg.pngDSC_1109.JPG

Re: OPI vs. Essie??

(0) Hearts

I'll wear pretty much any brand that has pretty colors, although if I'm trying to pick between dupes I'll usually go with China Glaze or Zoya.  My wear time is always dependent on my top and bottom coat polishes, not the colored ones.  I will say that, of the two you've mentioned, OPI tends to have more variety, so I've got more of them in my collection.

(0) Hearts

I agree with the China Glaze (for the hardeners in it) or Zoya (consistency). I am curious which bottom and top coat you use, since I have heard about wear time really only depending on those two things. I use Seche Vite quick dry top coat, which seems like I still chip easily! Possibly because it is a very thick top coat. Thanks! 

(0) Hearts

First time here, but I did want to say that I usually get one bottle of OPI each summer for my toenails-- usually a red or deep pink. Boring, I know. This summer I wanted to try a teal so I bought a bottle of Essie's Naughty Nautical and gave myself a pedi. I did two coats on my toes, and two on my 10 year old daughter's. Five weeks later, I don't have a single chip. Even my daughter, whose toenail polish is usually chipped off in a matter of days, still has quite a bit on her toes.It was thinner than OPI polish, but for durability I am extremely impressed!

[ Edited ]

I've never tried Essie polish, but I own a brown OPI polish that's very pretty. Personally my favorite polish brand is Zoya. I always try to stock up when they run promotions.

I like both OPI and Essie, but recently I've been using a lot of Zoya. BIG fan. So many colors. Stays well and doesn't chip.

I have not used Essie, but I have used OPI and it is nice. Friends of mine told me not to buy Essie because it is not that great (chips fast, messy, etc). I actually prefer Wet and Wild's Salon line (MEGA LAST) to OPI. Crazy, huh? Far nicer product, in my experience. Mega last takes three weeks to chip versus OPI takes 1.5-2 weeks to chip. The brush is flat and large, so it makes it very easy to apply. I own Heatwave (red orange), Wet Cement (purple grey), and Let Them Have Red (very red).

023.JPG

(0) Hearts

I second the Wet n Wild polish. Everytime I pay more for polish it ends up being more unusuable than the cheap stuff. I think I've tried just about everything except Essie, because I thought it looked really cheaply made. If I had to pick more expensive polishes I would go for Revlon Colorstay or China Glaze. Revlon lasts for weeks and China glaze just has some colors I really like. Though Wet n Wild really is my top pick just because of color, performance, and price.

I have to go w/ Essie for 1) more classy, less irridescence and 2) does not have formadehyde like OPI does. I'm always going more for healthy and toxicity concern. Another to check out is Nailtini - also healthier AND made in the USA.

Ok real talk.

Polishes that really impress me in terms of longevity, no-chipping, application, color payoff and finish are:

Orly

Chanel

Dior

Revlon Top Speed

Nails Inc

Illamasqua

Sephora by OPI

Milani

China Glaze

LA Splash

For quickness of dry time then yes nothing beats Seche Vite. HOWEVER! the gloss does not last long enough if you ask me and the formula for Seche Vite is such that you have to add polish thinner every once in a while or else it is a goopy mess. Sally Hansen's Diamond Shine gives me gloss for longer.

I have found that the nudes and dark colors from OPI perform well but their brights don't. Also, OPI does not have a decent yellow polish.

To me, Essie and OPI are over-rated. They are too hit and miss for me to be a consistent buyer.

Polishes that are absolute crap:

MAC

NYC

NYX glitter polishes

Hello Kitty polish in Starry Night

(0) Hearts

so agree with you. im a nail tech..my favorite polish is Orly. 

OPI. The quality in Essie is horrible. It is too liquidy and I find the finish to be dull in a lot of their colours. I also like the colour selection/range of OPI better. Essie has too many colours in the same colour family (pinks, neutrals). But I do like the top coat by Essie better. 

Hmm... i think Essie looks really good, but the O.P.I. color is richer. And i completly understand, it chips and all, but if you work everday like me, you want something that doesnt chip. So normally ill take Sally Hanson Insta-Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat. (it comes in a red bottle) and put it on like 30 min. after my nails are dry ( just so they can set up) and ill apply 2 coats and done, they stay good sometimes at least a week.  Warning, make sure you close the lid really tight on the sally hanson bottles, they tend to dry up in the bottle super fast!

I've heard good things about that top coat! I currently am using up my Seche Vite one, which I like, but it gets thick toward the end of the bottle. Kimmie and other users here have said they've noticed it "shrinking" their polish over time, but I've never noticed any significant issues.

I'll probably try the SH top coat when I polish off the SV one.

"Polish Off"  I see what you did there . . . lol.

(0) Hearts

I prefer Essie- I love their colors and think it goes on much smoother. I also love Butter London. :smileyhappy:

In theory, I want to love Essie. Lots of wonderful shades and the bottles are so chic. In practice, I really really dislike Essie. Many of the shades have been so streaky and difficult to work with. OPI has had some really good shades but they seem repetitive, I like Sephora OPI. I think butter london has the best polish formula I have ever used but they lack when it comes to color selection (for me, for now).

(0) Hearts

I'm a fan of BL too! Their price range is what stops me from just splurging on shade after shade, but the few that I do have I'm very happy with. I like their formulas, they're nice solid 2 coaters for me (at least the shades I have are), and I'm a huge fan of their Horse Power nail treatment, I've found it to be one of the few nail conditioners/strengtheners that actually work!

P.S. Both those colors look amazing! I'm a bit more partial to the Essie one as the creme finish looks more chic to me compared to the OPI with a hint of shimmer.

What shades are they?

OPI- "Come to Poppy"

Essie- "Punchy Pink 694"

(0) Hearts

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

I find that Essie is more favorable for pale pinks, neutrals, and softer shades while OPI offers a full range of the color scheme. Essie also has less selection in terms of finishes to me, but I loved their luxe top coats.

OPI puts out a lot of dupes in my opinion as they're constantly cycling through collections so fast.

I don't really see much of a difference in terms of wear. I'm pretty rough on my nails/hands, so anything that can last more than two days is a miracle in my book and if it can last even longer than whooohooo!!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • come-to-poppy-opi-nail-polish.jpg.png
  • DSC_1109.JPG
  • 023.JPG