Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

notcreative

Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

Anyone see this Consumer Reports study that tested 10 different polishes including a $2 one from Walgreens called Sinful Colors and the $27 one from Chanel?  Of course there were eight in between.  Any guesses on the results.  The $2 one came out on top while the Chanel finished in last place.  As a nail polish enthusiast, I wanted to pass along the news.  I am going to pick one up and give it a try.  That is so cheap that it is not breaking a no buy, right?  

ChicDabbler

Re: Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

lol, I like coconut water and coconut milk, but I don't like coconut meat or flakes unless it's toasted so it's nutty and crunchy, perfect topping for yogurt.

Ooohh, I approve of your SIL, lol. Envy~~~

meagboho

(0) Hearts

Today I tried some coconut flakes that were vegan and mean to taste like bacon. They werent half bad. 

gogreyhound

:smileysurprised: whaaaaaaa?????

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Interesting, I had the opposite experience, where I was making coconut curry and put in too much coconut milk. After 4 or 5 days (I like making big batches), the beef in the curry taste like beef textured coconut! There's zero taste of beef left. =X

notcreative

My SIL is pretty cool when she cooks for all of us.  She cooks expensive food, so she would go broke if she did it too often.  Mostly, she just cooks for herself and her wife.  She always makes me look bad at Christmas and Thanksgiving, because I buy takeout (from the grocery stores and Honeybaked Ham).  Her food always tastes better than what I bring too.

Okay, for real now,    ....  Sorry mods..... back to topic....... nail polish

meagboho

Every single thing Trader Joes has on the shelves are something popular you would see at Whole Foods or anatural  foods store or something. Sometimes they change the recipe slightly, the packaging is always disguised, and well, there's the cheaper price for the same goods! 

AlwaysGlamorous

(0) Hearts

THIS is 100% true. My BF's dad was an SVP for Trader Joe's and he just recently retired. The only person who knows all of the brands with which TJs has manufacturing agreements is the CEO! Those secrets are very well guarded. 

notcreative

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I shop at Whole Foods too.  At least here in Vegas, Trader Joes usually has the same or slightly lower prices than Whole Foods.  From market to market, I assume the prices vary a little.  Their chocolate covered almonds are like little dreams.

meagboho

It's true...they aren't always cheaper.  Its a perceived lower price that gets the, tons of business. 

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I smell a conspiracy that gets me into the door with a delicious burrito.  Whole Foods is no fool either with its fresh guacamole.  Yeah, I see them making it fresh everyday inside the store.  No one wants any day old guacamole after all.  

notcreative

(0) Hearts

True.  For cheap polish, I really like the Ulta brand.  That stuff lasts and lasts.  I will see how this compares to that.  Even though it is more expensive, I recently got some Ulta polish on sale, so the price was about the same on the recent ones.

LariTheLoud

Oh, I have several Sinful Colors polishes hanging around! The brand really is good quality for something you just pick up at the drugstore, and the color range is fantastic. Report back when you try them out!

notcreative

Thanks, I will.

GBean28

Thanks for sharing! Definitely give Sinful polishes a try, they're awesome in both quality, choice of colors, and price. Back in high school I had a big collection of nail polish (zero makeup) and a majority of them were from Sinful because of the price and selection. Also Walgreens was so close by and I frequented them all the time after school, quickly adding to my collection. I changed my nail color all the time back then.
Funny that you posted this at a time I just happened picked up my first Chanel nail color. I didn't find the quality of the polish to be any higher, but I do find the packaging to be very lux, especially the bottle. There is a lip inside the bottom of the neck of the bottle (just like a lip gloss or mascara tube) where you can wipe of excess polish instead of getting it all over the top opening. I thought it was neat. It seems for this though, I was paying more for the name and fancy packaging.  

Do let us know what you think of Sinful colors when you pick one up. :smileyhappy:

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I am getting more excited to try out this polish.  There is a Walgreens right next to the grocery store I shop at every Tuesday, so I am thinking of just picking one up then, so I do not need to make a special trip.  Glad to read of yet another positive experience.

Packaging and name brand get me a lot!  Chanel is so pretty.  Sorry you did not find the quality in the polish.  That is how I feel about Lancome polish (even though it is a lot cheaper than Chanel polish).  

GBean28

(0) Hearts

It's okay, the big win is that the Chanel polish is exactly what I was looking for after buying about 4-5 drug store shades that were very similar, but not what I had in mind, so I am pretty thrilled about that.  I picked up Chanel 575 Starlet, btw. I found the drug store brands I be more on the neon side.

notcreative

That is good.  It is always nice when you find the perfect shade.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Two of my meteorites pearls fell on the floor, so I decided to crush them and mix it in my cheap hello kitty nail polish for a DIY post I'm writing. Surprisingly, the wear time is pretty good (and it looks pretty). I'm excited.

notcreative

(0) Hearts

Oh no, I was so sad when a couple of my Too Faced sweetheart beads landed on the floor.  I would probably cry if my meteorites hit the floor.  It was so smart of you to think of something to do with them though, so they were not a total loss.  I just threw mine away.  If it happens again, I will probably do the same thing.  Thanks for the tip.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

It's prettier than I expected! It's a pink and a shimmery white ball, so it turned my clear polish into this sheer pinky shimmery color. I just wish I had crushed the powder more finely and had a better way of mixing it when I dumped it into the bottle of polish, but so far so good. I don't like the gritty texture, but I can't find my top coat. I need to clean my room. T.T

LadyInWhite

(0) Hearts

I'll wander over to your blog to see the pictures.  You'll have to tell us how the polish holds up over time.  I've been tempted to try something like that with some eyeshadows that are pretty, just not pretty on my eyes.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 143 replies
  • 116 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • nikki
    • friedrice
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler