Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

notcreative

Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

Anyone see this Consumer Reports study that tested 10 different polishes including a $2 one from Walgreens called Sinful Colors and the $27 one from Chanel?  Of course there were eight in between.  Any guesses on the results.  The $2 one came out on top while the Chanel finished in last place.  As a nail polish enthusiast, I wanted to pass along the news.  I am going to pick one up and give it a try.  That is so cheap that it is not breaking a no buy, right?  

gogreyhound

Re: Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

actually I remember reading that the better "cheap brand" cosmetics will be made in places like Germany and Italy, for example, for eyeliners and mascaras. This is where the higher quality Luxury brands are made, and many of these companies will produce items for several labels. I have found this to be true--I think a lot of Milani products, which get rave reviews, are made in Germany or Italy. 

notcreative

I personally like German cars.  My last two have been.  Although to be fair my previous car was a German car made in the USA.

Rebecca101010

I think that the formulas of the cheap brands can be just as cool but sometimes you just want the shade a higher end brand has come out with.... without waiting for it to get duped by the drugstore brands!

notcreative

[ Edited ]

I do not own any drugstore brands (yet), but I plan to pick up some Sinful Colors on Tuesday.  I do own some Store brands (Ulta/Sephora).  I agree with you on color selection.  Although, once in a while even the cheaper brands get a fantastic color that none of the more expensive brands have.  I will never forget the time I ordered a fantastic Ulta color online (Runway Rose).  It arrived broken.  By the time I notified them, it was OOS.  Driving around my city in hunt of that color in the stores was no fun, but I was so excited when I found it.  It is one of the most beautiful colors I own.

LadyInWhite

Yeah, I will say that Sinful Colors pretty much has the same polishes over and over again.  They'll release various collections that are mainly all repromotes, with one new polish, or it'll be a bunch of polishes that they stopped carrying in the core collection, but bring out every St. Patrick's Day, or something.

person11

I love Sinful Colors!  I think they actually make up the bulk of my nail polish collection.  

notcreative

Excellent.  I shall be picking some up on Tuesday.  Hopefully, I like it as much as you do.

weeeeweeeeeee

Sinful Colors will be on sale in Walgreens starting 6/1/14 for only $1 with their rewards card (weekly sale). But there is a limit of 3.

friedrice

ohh yay! thank you.

notcreative

Thanks for the tip.  I will sign up for the card and get 2.

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

good to know! I like Consumer Reports overall, because they aren't biased...however, I do believe that many items are made by the same manufacturers and given different labels.I mean, really--does every single grocery store have their own manufacturers for their store brand cereal, paper towels, etc? No, and I don't think that every single makeup item is made by a different manufacturer. That being said, it is trial and error for me with nail posishes...I just used my first Formula X and after 5 days it is just now chipping! Others that are more expensive last longeer, and some that are cheaper last a long time too. I think sometimes it has to do with the color, or glitter finishes--i have yet to use any brand of glitter polish that doesnt chip reallly quickly!  At least if you spend 2 bucks you don't' feel bad tossing it if it doesnt work well for you! :smileyhappy:

meagboho

(0) Hearts

Yup, thats called private labeling. Trader Joes is all PL. big companies give lower prices because they can produce and send a lot, don't have to do any advertising, so its high volume and smaller margin % but more margin $s.

notcreative

[ Edited ]

Please tell me more about Trader Joes.  I shop there often.  If you've ever had the black bean and jack cheese burrito, you'd know why.  I could eat one of those almost everyday.

MK89

And now *I* need to get one of those at Trader Joes...that sounds delicious!!!

notcreative

They were sold out almost every time I went into the store for months, so I boycotted the store in silent protest for a little while.  If you can find them at your store though, get them.  I love them so much.  The problem is they are so good that you will be mad when they do not have them in stock.

MK89

(0) Hearts

Lol wow they sound like a limited edition makeup collection or something :smileyvery-happy:  I will for sure check it out and hope my local store has some!

notcreative

They are just that good.  People know how good they are, so they buy them faster than they can keep them in stock.  The burrito section always has the other burritos in it, but the spot for those is almost always empty.

ChicDabbler

They have French macarons in their freezer section as well as 4 flavors of ice cream mochi. Nuff said. XD

notcreative

(0) Hearts

Ooooh.  I have never tried that.  My SIL makes some mean macaroons though, so I can always drop hints for her to make me some.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Wait, macarons are different from macaroons. Macaroon is a cluster of coconut sometimes dipped in chocolate. Macaron, or french Macaron, is a very delicate cookie sandwich where the cookies are made with almond flour and egg white so it's crispy on the outside and soft/pillowy on the side, with a filling made of lightly sweetened cream or jam. It's very difficult to get right since you can't under or over mix and temperature is important, too. Eventho it's pretty tasty when you get it wrong anyways. *cough* I may or may not have researched/attempted to make it and decided it was too much trouble.

......so.......nail polish....lol.

notcreative

I hate coconut, so my SIL makes great macarons.  Have I mentioned before that I cannot spell?  I did not even notice you and I had typed something different.  

How can I think about nail polish when all this talk of food is making me hungry, lol?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 143 replies
  • 116 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • nikki
    • friedrice
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler