Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

notcreative

Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

Anyone see this Consumer Reports study that tested 10 different polishes including a $2 one from Walgreens called Sinful Colors and the $27 one from Chanel?  Of course there were eight in between.  Any guesses on the results.  The $2 one came out on top while the Chanel finished in last place.  As a nail polish enthusiast, I wanted to pass along the news.  I am going to pick one up and give it a try.  That is so cheap that it is not breaking a no buy, right?  

notcreative

Re: Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

(0) Hearts

I do not really have the space either, but I am buying fool.  I need to get wall racks.  That would save space, make them easier to find and constantly stare at me, so I would be reminded to use them, right?

weeeeweeeeeee

(0) Hearts

LOL I dont even have wall space. I have two large maps on my wall that I would like to keep up.

nightknight

(0) Hearts

I've used both and while Chanel's isn't great, my experience from Sinful Colors was the worst of the two. The formula was so runny and the finish was extremely dull. Chanel on the other hand, have a very limited range of colors and the formula, while it applies nicely, chips way too quickly to warrant that type of price. For me, my favorite high end is YSL's polish (which is my current HG) and my favorite drugstore is Essie.

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I have never tried YSL, but I only find Essie to be all right.  Loreal must put all of their polish research into YSL (as it is more upscale than Lancome), because Lancome polishes are very low on my list of quality polishes.  Lancome polishes chip quickly and take multiple coats to be opaque, which is crazy for a tiny bottle of $15 polish.

Maybe, one day I will give YSL a try.  Thanks for the tip.

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]

:smileysurprised: 

DOH!!

As for 'breaking' your 'no buy'....."Fugget Abot it!" (thick NY accent) These are practically Free!!

Think of all the money you're saving by "No Buying" the $27.00 Chanels! That's the No Buy you should be focusing on! :smileywink:

notcreative

(0) Hearts

That's my philosophy.  If it is very cheap, it cannot violate a no buy.  Thanks for backing me up.

weeeeweeeeeee

I pick up 3 as well! So far so good. Not too thick or thin, color is nice and opaque!

notcreative

I have to confess I have not tried them yet.  Maybe tomorrow.  Glad you like them though.

weeeeweeeeeee

(0) Hearts

I may have to correct myself a bit. This is on the slightly runnier side of polishes...

notcreative

(0) Hearts

Uh oh.  Let us know how it turns out.  I hope to get around to painting mine sometime soon.

weeeeweeeeeee

(0) Hearts

It is actually still kind of tacky.. not to the point that it is going to smudge or stick to things, but it does not feel completely dry yet. For reference, I only have 2 layers on.

notcreative

(0) Hearts

That reminds me the report did say the biggest complaint with this polish is how long it takes to dry.  I knew there was a reason I kept putting off my manicure.  It will mess up if I start it too late at night.  Hopefully, I do it tomorrow.

notcreative

I got the polish today ladies.  Either tonight or tomorrow night, I plan on using one.  I will report back in a week or so on my findings.  This brings my polish total to 114.  I found out today we are getting two in the next Glossybox too, so I should be over 120 by the end of the month.

Haul 060314.jpg

nikki

(0) Hearts

Pretty colors, what shades are those?

notcreative

(0) Hearts

Nail Junkie, Sheer Genius, and Face the Facets.

CuriousCannibal

Wow, that's surprising! Thanks for sharing. 

I don't really judge stuff by brand, it's more of a 'if I like that color i'll get it' kind of thing.

That being said, not all high-end brands are are better than drugstore polishes. I tried a YSL polish and had major tip wear after 1 day, and dior's new polishes are perfect with one coat and last for days.

But the same goes with drugstore polishes, some are AMAZING, and others are crappy and a waste of money.

That being said, I haven't used sinful colors since I was 12 (and back then they were really streaky for me) so i'll have to get a couple and try it out again.

notcreative

It is funny that so many people have a long history with a brand I have never heard of, but I am really looking forward to trying it.  Hopefully, it works out nicely when you try it again.

newandaddicted

I tell people all the time price is not the best indicator of the quality of a product.  It's a mind game, people believe if they pay more for something it is better.  A friend of my worked in a large retail chain many years ago, she told me that the very HIGH dollar shampoo and conditioner was made and shipped from the SAME factory as the less expensive shampoo and conditioner.  When she looked at the ingredients...the only difference was where the fragrance was in the list on the bottles.

I believe a lot of the products we buy are from the same companies, just different packaging and available in different levels of retail outlets.

notcreative

Seems like this is a really big thing.  

redwagon44

Definitely true, especially when it comes to generic brands. It's a pretty safe bet that the store brand of whatever you buy is the exact same product as another store brand. 

gogreyhound

i agree! with some items, you do get what you pay for, but with others, you can really get some bargains! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 143 replies
  • 116 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • nikki
    • friedrice
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler