Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

notcreative

Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

Anyone see this Consumer Reports study that tested 10 different polishes including a $2 one from Walgreens called Sinful Colors and the $27 one from Chanel?  Of course there were eight in between.  Any guesses on the results.  The $2 one came out on top while the Chanel finished in last place.  As a nail polish enthusiast, I wanted to pass along the news.  I am going to pick one up and give it a try.  That is so cheap that it is not breaking a no buy, right?  

notcreative

Re: Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

(0) Hearts

I'd be all over that one, lol.

MarciaBrady

(0) Hearts

I tried a Sinful Colors somewhat recently and had no problems with it. I did have to use 4 coats to get decent coverage, but it goes on in thin layers, so it didn't get gloppy or take too long to dry.

For the past few months I've been doing the Julep subscription thing (I got lured in by the pretty colors), so I'm good on polish. If it weren't for that steady supply stream, I'd probably have bought more SC after that one I used.

I agree with the sentiment that Chanel is in general undewhelming. I just expected more magic for the price tag. 

notcreative

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have 29 bottles of Julep so far.  Getting more nail polish is always awesome though.  I am thinking of using the 30% coupon from the most recent box to buy my birthstone polish before it sells out.  The problem is that would probably be considered breaking my no buy.  I should probably stop doing add ons to my boxes as well, because that surely has to be a no buy violation.

MarciaBrady

It's just so easy to add on the add ons! I'm pretty sure that if there's a discount involved it does not, in fact, violate a no buy. Plus, it's also an extension of your existing subscription. And then, there's always the special allowance for limited edition items. 

And…hellooooo…it's your birthday! Have a happy one!

notcreative

Thanks for that.  I am feeling better already and will probably do more add ons on the 20th.  Thank you, but it is nowhere near my birthday.  I am a new Maven (only 2 regular boxes so far), so I did not know they were doing birthstone polishes until I got an email about June's yesterday.  I followed the link, and mine is still available for now.  I fear it will go away if I wait too long as I am sure there are a limited number just like with their other polishes.

weeeeweeeeeee

(0) Hearts

Does anyone know if Sinful Colors are 3 or 5 free?

notcreative

You should go to page 2 of your Beauty Ranks thread and answer my question.  I am really immature (and also impatient), and I want to know the answer.  Congrats by the way.  I never noticed until the thread popped back up.

weeeeweeeeeee

Thanks! For the past few days, I've been only lurking here and there.. I did not even see that old thread up again.

notcreative

[ Edited ]

They are at least 3 free.  I just pulled this off their site.

"All made in the USA, with the quality you expect from a leading nail brand, without formaldehyde, toluene and DBP."

5 free is more rare in cheaper polishes to my knowledge.  If I ever hear of one, I will let you know.

LadyInWhite

FingerPaints from Sally Beauty supply is 5 free now.  It's about $4.50 with a beauty club membership and I want to say $5.50 without?  Not quite as cheap as SC, but better than most of the others.

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

I'm glad they work for you. I've not been that pleased with the few colors I tried from Finger Paints. They took too many layers to get good coverage and most chipped in a few days, even with a good base and top coat. So I kinda have up on the brand. 

weeeeweeeeeee

(0) Hearts

ooooo.. never heard of that brand.. how does it hold up?

LadyInWhite

I'm a bad person to ask about how nail polishes hold up - I put about three layers of top coat on everything, let each layer dry for about five minutes between coats, and am fairly easy on my nails.  Add in the fact that I don't like to have on the same polish for more than five-seven days, and I pretty much don't ever see chips with any polish.  

That said, I can tell you that most of their non-sheer nail polishes only take one or two coats for full coverage, their formula's easy to work with, and they have a much bigger core collection than SC, with LE collections released every month or two.  They have a very pretty collection out this month called Poolside that I'm just thrilled with.poolside paradise.jpg

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

:smileysurprised:  ooooooohhhhh! those are gorgeous!! and I don't generally like the orange or green shades...

notcreative

These polishes look awesome.  Thanks for the tip.  I am putting them on my future buy list.  

weeeeweeeeeee

OOO I hope you see this like right now @notcreative, but Sally's Beauty supply store is having a buy one get one free sale on FingerPaints Gelish and Orly Polish!

nail sale

notcreative

(0) Hearts

Thanks.  I am going to pass.  I like Orly and am looking forward to trying regular Finger Paints (not into gel polish).  The UV to apply and the removal process stinks.  I am also trying to honor this no buy, although a buy one get one free would probably not be a violation.  Maybe, I will do that for the Orly.

weeeeweeeeeee

oooooo... Those are pretty. I am more of a regular boring colors kind of girl, not a fan of metallics. I like colors that I can wear throughout the whole year. But I am eyeing the red and purple!

weeeeweeeeeee

Thanks!

I think I might go pick up 3 more bottles even though I still have some that are unused by OPI and other brands... You can never have too many bottles right. ANDDDD seeing how I have LESS than 10 full size bottles, 3 more bottles does not seem too bad. :smileyvery-happy:

notcreative

We will not get into how many unopened bottles I have then.  Let's just say the vast majority of my 114 bottles have never been used.  I have great intentions though and hope to get to them all eventually.  Yes, you can never have too many.

weeeeweeeeeee

(0) Hearts

LOL! I try to buy colors that I know I will wear often, I am always trying to downsize cause I just don't have the space. If you come into my room, my desk is just so messy that I can't even see the actual desk surface, or floor space.......

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 143 replies
  • 116 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • nikki
    • friedrice
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler