notcreative

Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

Anyone see this Consumer Reports study that tested 10 different polishes including a $2 one from Walgreens called Sinful Colors and the $27 one from Chanel?  Of course there were eight in between.  Any guesses on the results.  The $2 one came out on top while the Chanel finished in last place.  As a nail polish enthusiast, I wanted to pass along the news.  I am going to pick one up and give it a try.  That is so cheap that it is not breaking a no buy, right?  

ChicDabbler

Re: Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

(0) Hearts

Ahaha, I haven't written a post about it yet since I'm currently testing the wear time. It definitely wears well with a top coat, but if you don't dump a ton of eyeshadows in, I think it wears well without a top coat as well. Right now I've got a nail with the original clear polish and a nail with powder+ polish because I want to see which one wears down first, so it's gonna be a couple of days.

dianabt

@beautytester I really like your new icon!! :smileyhappy: so cute!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

haha, thanks. I decided I need to lighten up a little, and it seems appropriate for summer. =)

notcreative

(0) Hearts

Hopefully, you find it soon.  It was a really clever idea.

redwagon44

Crazy! And $2 is like basically free, right? lol! It would be wasteful to NOT try it at that point.... 

Although I have a hard time with consumer reports. A lot of their testing methods can be sketchy. I worked for a company that made caulk for windows. They sell it in bulk to repackagers who just put their name on it and sell it under their brand. We had two customers with the exact same product, just named differently. One won the best in the category, one was rated the worst. Not sure how they made that happen, but we had a very angry customer..

sdbeautyjunkie1

(0) Hearts

Hmm was that company Henkel by chance? Just wondering

redwagon44

(0) Hearts

Nope, a big name US company. 

notcreative

Whoa.  That is weird.  Seems very sketchy.  At least, $2 is not much of an investment to see if they're lying plus I trust LadyInWhite.  Now, I just need to make a trip to Walgreens at some point this weekend.

redwagon44

(0) Hearts

Definitely let us know how it goes! I'm not afraid of the 2 dollar commitment, I'm just too lazy to try out a new nail polish to have it fail and have to redo it :smileyhappy:

notcreative

I have so many nail polishes (way more new than used ones), which does seem crazy for someone who rarely paints her nails.  At some point though, I really am going to start painting them more often. I hate when I mess up too, which is why I rarely do them.  It takes me so long to do my nails, because I always end up having to redo at least a few of them.

redwagon44

(0) Hearts

I feel your pain. I can't even wear nail polish at my job :smileysad: so it's become my happy-its-friday time when I do them after work before the weekend. Last I counted I have over 60 polishes, half never opened. Eventually though I'll get better at painting them... right? lol

notcreative

[ Edited ]

I currently have 104.  That is actually less than I figured, because that bin is so big and heavy.  I thought there were more.  Even though I kept losing count, that is the number I got twice, so I am rolling with it.  Someone is free to correct me if they see a different number.  Of course, my Julep number will continue to rise, because I have a subscription. I plan on picking up 2 of the Sinful Colors on Tuesday as well.  

A few months back, I got rid of older cheap (non Ulta) polishes that I figured I would never use (to make room) or my number would be higher.  I ended up buying a new bin anyway, so I probably should have kept them.  None of my polishes were that old, because I have not been collecting them that long.  Makeup and polish are a new obsession (well re-obsession). I also have Seche Vite Polish restorer which works pretty well.  I wanted to get those shelving units someone had in Meag's thread.  I was thinking I would fill one, but I would have plenty of room in the second one (kind of like what is going on in my current bins).

nail polish 1.jpg

nail polish 2.jpg

notcreative

(0) Hearts

My Julep order just arrived, so I guess I have 111 now.  That number has a nice ring to it.

Julep June 2014.jpg

redwagon44

(0) Hearts

Dang! That a lot of polish! I'm very jealous :smileyhappy: 

i keep trying to streamline my collection too. I just tossed a ton of older, cheaper polishes. I'm trying to keep my collection limited to a wall rack my dad built me. It can hold about 70 polishes, so that at least keeps me in check when I want to buy more!

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I went back last night and counted the polishes on the racks in that thread and it appears that most people get in the 70s per rack, so I would need about 2.  The problem is at the rate I am growing them I would probably need 3 in no time. Maybe I am better off keeping them in bins put away in the closet.  Or, maybe, I should take this as a sign that I should cancel my Julep subscription pretty soon.  Who needs more than 150 polishes?  Maybe, that should be my cut off.  46 more, and I am done.  

The problem with that philosophy is I would still get them from time to time in promos and subscription boxes and I hate going through my stash and tossing old ones to prevent from moving into a new bin (or shelving unit if I eventually buy some).

notcreative

That is so sad that you are not allowed to wear polish.  I have never counted my polish before, but now I am curious.  I will do that later when I go upstairs.  So, it's Friday.  I guess that means you will be sporting some new polish today.  

My hands shake, so I am never going to get better at painting.  I just need to get better at cleaning them afterwards.

LadyInWhite

Sinful colors is pretty much the most underrated nail polish brand on the market - when I want a plain white, black, red, etc, I usually buy that.

notcreative

I had never even heard of it before this report, but I am excited to try it.  Glad to hear you like it.  While I do not own any Chanel polish, I do own other decent makeup brands that chip quickly (looking at you, Lancome).  It is always nice to hear that you do not need to spend a fortune to get decent quality.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 143 replies
  • 116 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • nikki
    • friedrice
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler