notcreative

Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

Anyone see this Consumer Reports study that tested 10 different polishes including a $2 one from Walgreens called Sinful Colors and the $27 one from Chanel?  Of course there were eight in between.  Any guesses on the results.  The $2 one came out on top while the Chanel finished in last place.  As a nail polish enthusiast, I wanted to pass along the news.  I am going to pick one up and give it a try.  That is so cheap that it is not breaking a no buy, right?  

ChicDabbler

Re: Nail Polish and Consumer Reports

I find using a top coat makes more of a difference than brands of nail polish (unless it's the REALLY crappy type that's sheer and streaky).

Anyways, I think someone was interested in my eyeshadow/powder in nail polish DIY. Too much eyeshadow will shorten the wear time and change the texture. However, if you want to slightly alter the color of your polish, it is a fun experiment. I crushed two Guerlain meteorites pearls (a pink and a white) and dumped them into a clear Hello Kitty polish. The thumb is the old clear color, the ring finger is just mixed. Then the right side is after all the bigger chunks fell to the bottom so I only got the finer powder mixed in the clear polish. It lasted ~3 days.upload_4747296110527995759.jpg

Anyways, now I know what to do with those polish where I like the color but wish it's shimmery finish instead of creme (and "too glittery" will no longer be an excuse for me not to buy more Guerlain meteorites, oh noes!).

notcreative

(0) Hearts

It looks amazing.  If I ever drop my Sweetheart beads again or any of my perles, I am stealing this idea.  For the most part, I agree that a nice topcoat makes most of the difference.  There are exceptions though, because I generally use the same top coat.  This time, I used a new Julep oxygen base and top coat.  I should try a different base and top coat next time I paint to ensure it is not the new top coat that made the difference.  Plus, I realize it was glitter polish (which chips faster from any brand).

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Hmm, I only have a couple glitter top coat, and the big glitter chunks from there does NOT want to come off. X.X

notcreative

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I was not even aware there was such a thing as a glitter topcoat, although I have glitter polishes I have used as a topcoat on top of darker polishes to change them up.  Typically though, glitter polishes chip faster than regular polishes (on me).  I just did a glitter polish on my feet today.  We'll see how long that lasts.

The glitter polish was the actual polish.  I do not own a base or top coat containing glitter.  Tomorrow or the next day, I am going to paint my nails with the non glitter bottle of Sinful Colors I purchased using a different base and top coat than the ones I used with the glitter polish and see how it turns out.

notcreative

(0) Hearts

My polish has been on less than three days, and I have a lot of big chips.  I have a pedicure scheduled for Saturday, so I need to redo my nails before then.  It took me so long to do the manicure to prep my nails that I did not want another one.  I will be so embarrassed if my nails look like this while I am in a nail salon.

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

Sorry t o hear that! It seems like the glittery polishes always chip sooner than regular ones, no matter what the brand. I have noticed that with OPI, China Glaze, Essie...most brands I have tried.  I have also experienced that with any opaque white I ever purchased for a French Manicure as well. I got 3 shades of the SInful Colors, one being "Glass Pink" a really pretty, pale, shimmery shade. It has been on since Sunday night and is just showing wear on the tips now... I suppose it will vary with the color or finish, but for 99cents I wont feel bad if it gets tossed.  Try the other colors and see if they wear any better :smileyhappy:

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I think glitter polishes chip faster too, which is why I selected the purple one.  I need to try that one next.  I like that I can toss it with no regrets too, since it was $0.99.

bad823

I just got the deal  of the day-week-month, maybe year? I picked up a bottle of Essie nail polish, a very pretty pink called Madison Ave-Hue at Ulta. At check out, it rang up for $.01, yes, one cent! It turns out, this bottle/color was supposed to be returned to the company, but was left on the shelf. Yep, got it for a penny!! Have it on my nails now :smileyhappy: FWIW, the clerk insisted I only pay the penny, since it was their mistake. 

notcreative

(0) Hearts

That is amazing.

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

Woo hoo! lucky day!

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

I had 2 WET N WILD Palettes until the 4th of June,2014, now a little background is these 2 PALETTES were purchased sometime in the summer of 1992 ! I had hit pan on many of the brightly pigmented, almost fluorescent colors ( 5 in each Palette ) and was working with my brushes to save what I could off the sides. They still had te price sticker on the backs, they cost me an entire .89 cents EACH !

.......BUT this month I had to let them finally go to the great empty pan resting place in the sky and purchse UD's Electric Palette. None of my contacts across the country have tried it yet, friends either, so I hope it it a nce textured,smooth, beautiful and highly pigmented with bright,almost day glo colors like what I retired,but much better quality.

I do , very much so ,hope the quality of the Electric Palette I bought as a replacement exceeds my standards...I have never purchased a UD Palette,but I have seen 5 or 6  I will but if the quality of the Electric Palette meets my standards....

Any personal experiences with UD's Electric Palette, please let me know, I just checked and mine is scheduled for delivery on Weds. ( tomarro )

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

The Electric Palette is amazing in my opinion. The colors are richly pigmented and very smooth. I've only experienced fallout with the silver color. But they are fantastic quality in my opinion. 

notcreative

(0) Hearts

Have fun with the Electric Palette.  I wanted to buy it, but I kept chickening out.  Now, I am on a no buy.  

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I finally painted my nails last night with the beautiful blue polish.  It is a glitter polish, so I will wait until I use the purple polish before I fully decide what I think.  With the blue, glitter polish, I could not really get even distribution and found the polish to be slightly thick.  For fear of taking forever to dry, I only did one coat.  I used a Julep base and top coat.  It did take a very long time to dry.  I wish I would have just gone for a second coat, because the uneven distribution is really bothering me this morning.  Hopefully, I can deal with it, so I can see how long the polish lasts.

BuxomBabe80

I see a lot of people have posted so I'm probably repeating. But I love the Sinful Colors nail polishes! I've been a fan for years. I have about 130 bottles of polish from $1 up to $30ish. Most of the Sinful Colors I've purchased are better than many high end ones I've used. I would definitely give them a try! I love their bright colors, metallics, neutrals and glitters. Basically, I like all of them! And unlike Essie's new Neon collection, the neons I've purchased from Sinful Colors have actually been bright & neon! I don't wear them, but my daughter loves them. I'd definitely recommend giving them a try!

notcreative

(0) Hearts

You are more than welcome to repeat the sentiment that it is good polish.  I am happy to read it.  I bought three bottles on Tuesday.  As usual, I find an excuse every day not to paint my nails.  Thus, I have not tried one yet.  I will try to do it tomorrow.  I got 1 bright glittered color, 1 pastel color and one medium colored glitter one.  Thanks,  Kristen.

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

Any time, Kimberly. I hope you end up liking them!

notcreative

(0) Hearts

Thanks.  The jury is still out, but I will keep you posted.

sp2001

There's some $99 polishes from wet n wild that work just fine for me

notcreative

$99 is a little more than I want to spend on nail polish, lol.

All joking aside, thanks for the tip.  My son made me buy a Wet N Wild eyeshadow palette a while back (in anticipation of a trip to that water park).  I have yet to use it and have never tried anything from the brand (not even when I was a kid).  If the palette works out, I will give the nail polish a shot down the road.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 143 replies
  • 116 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • nikki
    • friedrice
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler