Nail Polish: 2 separate questions

(0) Hearts

Hello! 

I recently took advantage of the sale on OPI polishes.  Before now, I've only owned a bottle or two at a time. 

a)  I'd like to know the best way to store my new pretties, so I can use them as long as possible.

b) I'd like to know how often it is safe to change my nail color.  When I do paint my nails, I usually keep the color for a week; then it starts chipping badly and I remove it.  Currently, I want to try all the pretty new colors so I'm thinking of removing and reapplying every two to three days. Still, I don't want to harm my nails.

Re: Nail Polish: 2 separate questions

To properly store polish, keep them in a dry, cool place away from direct sun, intense light or heat. I store mine in a shallow plastic tub with a lid, but there's dozen of make up caddies, organizers, and containers you can use. The key thing is the first part, heat will cause polish to set, thicken in consistancy, and dry out faster. Though some sources suggest keeping polish in the fridge as cooler temperatures keep formulas smooth and the consistancy thinner and easy to apply. Avoid keeping polish in or around the bathroom (the humidity from the shower can affect you polish).

Polish can be touched up and reapplied as needed, the key is to keep an eye on harmful ingredients such as dibutyl phthalate, toluene, formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, and camphor. Often times polish companies are growing more and more aware of these ingredients so they will advertise being "3 free" or however many of those they are void of. Debborah Lippman, Essie, Butter London, Zoya, and CND are a few brands that clearly advertise being void of these ingredients. Try using an acetone free polish remover if you're working natural nails or acrylics and you're only removing polish. Save acetone for removing actual acrylic or gel polish as acetone based removers are more drying. Be sure to use protective base coats and top coats to prolong wear and to avoid chips and dulling (top coats can be applied to freshen up polish if needed, not only reserved to when you finish a nail look). Cuticle creams, oils, and hand lotions can all help to keep skin and nail beds hydrated between frequent polish changes.

Thank you for the wealth of information!  Prior to last week's polish buying bonanza,  I actually did store random polish purchases in my bathroom. I will start looking for a better location.

a) the best place to store nail polish is in a dark, dry place with no fire hazard

b) i would change your nail polish only when the current one starts to chip. I really don't think that there's harm to your nails by painting and removing as long as you take care of your nails. That means not picking at them, keeping your cuticles in check, and clipping regularly.

(0) Hearts

Thank you for your help and advice. I think I am kinda like a kid at Christmas time right now, so I will make myself wait.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 3 in conversation