Londonlover101

Manicures! cheap or costly?

hey there beautiful gals! Ive missed beautytalk a lot as I haven't been on a s much as I used too, but I'm really going to try to be on here a lot but grades come first so, I will be on here every opportunity I can! :smileyhappy: so today I wanted to talk to y'all about manicures. would you spend a costly amount on the professional nail jobs done at  a salon or would you go out and buy the sets you can do at home? As I can't see myself paying such an extreme amount for something I could do at home today I'm going to go the dollar store and hopefully get a French manicure set! then I will apply them and give you ladies the feedback. So I'd like to know what's your style DIY or professional and what type of nail's do you actually like? post pics of your finger accessories! :smileyhappy:

Peace and love, Londonlover101

spacesuit

Re: Manicures! cheap or costly?

I've never actually had a salon manicure, I'm so used to painting my own nails. The only thing I don't know how to do myself is gel nail polish, but my nails grow so fast I would have to come in to the salon all the time for touchups. I can't afford that!

fitzg

I almost always do my own nails. I have so many pretty polishes at home and I usually switch it up twice a week so its not really worth it to pay to get them done. 

That said, I do really enjoy getting my nails done and find it really relaxing so I will splurge every now and then for a "girls day" with my mom or friends and nothing's better than getting a gel mani before a vacation!  

In the summer time, I also like getting a little extra attention paid to making my feet look nice and this past summer I found a salon by my house that does the most *amazing* pedicures for a really reasonable price! I went about once/month just to keep everything looking in order during sandal season.

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

I feel kinda awkward having other people do my nails. I just do them at home with cheap nail polish from the dollar store and Walmart and they turn out pretty good. I am not too good at doing them, tend to make a bit of a mess. XD I just scrub it off in the shower. I am currently trying to practice doing them a little fancier, though not having much luck at it.

Londonlover101

I love to hear all of your wonderful feedback ladies!

janinebt

I do my own nails a good 80% of the time, but love going to the salon for french styles, since they're often better at doing them than I am. 

Whimsically yours,
Janine
NotCrocker

(0) Hearts

I love the experience of a professional job, the massages and pampering, but I do a pretty great job of my own nails, so I tend to do it myself at home. To get that pampered feeling, I put that money I saved into getting full massages, facials, etc. 

Londonlover101

(0) Hearts

@titian06 and @beautytester thank you guys are too sweet I missed all of you wonderful beauty bloggers!

arielaaaaaaaa

I love doing my own nails! I've started getting pretty good! I can do some nail art but i usually don't bother cause i can only do one hand. I usually do them every Thursday night so there are ready for Mani Friday! :smileytongue:

My steps are 2 coats of a Strengthening base coat since my nails are thin! Let dry completely, Then two coats of polish. I let dry for about 10 minutes, then i apply the Top coat. Nails inc Kensington Caviar Top coat, OMG amazing! It dries completely in less than a minute! I won't ever use another Top coat!

I only get a manicure when i see my cuticles are getting bad. I don't like fussing with them so i don't mind paying $12 for a manicure every once in awhile. 

SirenPrincess

I get mine done at a little hole in the wall nail salon.  It's not expensive.  $20 for a gel manicure that looks perfect and lasts me a good two months without any chipping or peeling.  Best of all, it's impossible to mess them up.  You can touch things right away after having them done.  Discovering the gel manicures is one of the things that's made my life so much easier.  And, really, I think $20 per two months is pretty cheap.  It's well worth the money for me since the polish doesn't flake off.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

2 months?!?! Wow, when I was getting UV gels, I was going every 3 weeks to get them filled. Gel polish lasts me 2 weeks. I think my nails would grow out too much in 2 months. 

SirenPrincess

It is at the point of growing out that I need to get them done.  I've never had my gel chip or peel even the tiniest bit.  But at 2 months, they've grown enough that it's noticeable to me.  I get french so when I have flesh toned growth at the tip, it's not too noticeable.  I've got maybe  1-2 cm of growth right now right before my 2 month get them done again appointment.  But unless you're really looking at my nails, you wouldn't notice because of the french.

wingatprsct

I'll have to check and see if my salon does gel manicures.  I usually get pedicures during the summer (hate trying to paint my toenails and it still not looking nice!) but I do my own manicures.  I can do them to my satisfaction besides I can't justify paying for something that will come off in just a week or so.  I will definitely check out the gels!

SirenPrincess

They've definitely been amazing for me instead of having to go in for regular polish every two weeks.  Look better at 2 months than the old looked at 1 week!

kelsey808

Poor college girl here so I do my own nails and always apply this amazing fast dry top coat (inm Out The Door, I bought mine at Sally's Beauty Supply) that dries my polish in a minute and makes my nails look exactly like I got a gel manicure (people ask me all the time if my nails are acrylic since they're usually so long haha) but I always have my nails either french (using one of those Sally Hansen french manicure pens), red (I love China Glaze Hey Sailor and Ravishing, Dahling), or Essie's Angora Cardi

ry22

I do my own nails. For the price of a good mani/pedi, I can buy a couple really nice nail polishes, so it just makes more sense that way.

ChicDabbler

Welcome back!

I do it myself because I get bored after 3-4 days anyways, and with a top coat my mani will last 3-4 days before chipping. I don't see the point of paying for something I can do myself when it's gonna be taken off in 3-4 days.

midnightangel

I do my own & I stay with my natural nails. No acrylics, no gels, just polish. Nail salons kind of gross me out really.

DesertRose0706

I do my own with a gel nail system my mom got me from Sally's Beauty Supply.  It looks just as nice as going to a salon, but its less expensive!  Then only time I will pay to have my nails done is if I want acrylic nails.  I actually got all the supplies to do my own arcylic nails becuase I didnt want to pay so much for them, but it takes talent that I just dont have so it is definetely worth paying for lol

Titian06

Hi, Londonlover--welcome back!  I do my own mani.  I can't justify the cost especially for something I can do myself.  I'm not talented enough to do any of the lovely things @candacebt (a moderator) and others do, but that's OK.  Check out Candace's "Mani Friday" post each Friday for pictures of what Candace and other BTers do.  I took my polish off last night so I could re-do today.

kalex

Same here!  And my polish chips within a day or two so any time or money spent is just wasted!

Definitely check out some of Kimmi1115's posts too.  She does some really cute nails designs.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 40 replies
  • 47 hearts
  • 28 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe
    • tehprincessjenn
    • arielaaaaaaaa