kimmi1115

First Time Applying Acrylic Nails

Well, I applied tips and acrylic to my guinea pig's  - I mean -  my mom's nails lol. She was willing to be my guinea pig since the stuff she does at work destroys her nails and skin.  Here are some step by step results pictures.  My only request is no mean comments.  There's a difference between mean and constructive critisim.  On other people's IG pages, I've seen other people who have done nails for a long time leave rude remarks on people's beginning pictures.  I'll never understand those users.  Anyway, here are the pictures:

IMG_0001.jpg This was after I applied and cut the tips to length.  As you can see, the work she does takes a toll on her cuticles.  Yes, I did push them back as far as they would go.

IMG_0003.jpgAfter filing and blending the tip in.  I filed too much on the pinky.  

IMG_0005.jpg I believe this is after applying the acrlyic.  I let it dry between two coats, but I'm not sure if I was supposed to do that.  We'll find out in a couple of days I guess lol.

IMG_0009.jpgIMG_0010.jpgIMG_0013.jpgIMG_0016.jpg

You can tell she didn't get all the cuticle cream rubbed in when I took the pictures lol.  She went with natural shade tips, and then she later painted them.  Now to see how long it holds up lol.

swanbeauty

Re: First Time Applying Acrylic Nails

Kimmi, you rock!  I have acrylics, but I am too scared to do them myself!  When I have tips put on, they are usually only glued to the 1/4 end of the nail.  I think they might be easier for you to put on, and you won't have to do so much filing.   Can't wait to see your progress.

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

Thank you, swanbeauty!  I'm not completely sure why the dvd said to put them on down 1/3 of the nail.  I guess it's if the person has long nail beds.

lylysa

Texture wise it looks pretty smooth, definitely kudos with it being your first time practicing and getting a hang of technique and application!

The nail tips on her ring and pinky finger seem a bit large/wide at where they're glued, maybe try filing them down some to be sure they fit to her nail bed/shape better.

I can't wait to see your progress, Kimmi! :smileyvery-happy:

kimmi1115

Thank you, lylysa!  I will definitely work on filing the nail tips.  I filed some of them, but I was afraid I would do damage them or something if I filed them too much.  At least the cats didn't try to run off with the nail tips lol.

lylysa

OMG, you just put the funniest image in my head! I imagined cats walking around on their toes clicking and clacking with nail tips on! Haha!

Trying to play with Eos lip balms too! :smileytongue:

I think you're off to a great start, Kimmi!

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

Next time we pull out the fridge, there will be a stash of nail tips and EOS lip balm lol.

Daniela1387

They look nice =). Good job! I use to do acrylic nails a long time ago buz they started eating away at my actual skin and it was no buenooo. My nails got really soft underneath and hurt sooo bad. Now I use shellac which I totally love and are wayyy easier on my nails. In my experience they are as long lasting as acrylic without the scary soft nail part happening. If your mom wants to be your guinea pig again give those a try. They come in color already and are like a gel so they are nice, durable and easy to take off with regular nail polish remover. I know they have kits for it in walmart and target if im not mistaken. Please post some more of your nail projects =). 

kimmi1115

Thank you!!  I'm sorry to hear that happened to your nails.  It does sound like a painful experience.  How well would the shellac hold up in a factory setting?

arielaaaaaaaa

The thing to remember, is there alot of different things that work for different people. Shellac doesn't work for me, My hands are aways in water, and my nail beds are naturally oily, Shellac doesn't last more than 4 days when they start peeling. If you use your nails alot to open things and stuff thats not the best route, unless you find they stay on. Acryllics are good for alot of people, mainly who have strong nails, a bad nail tech over files the natural nail leaving them soft and vulnerable, a slight buffing is all you need. Silk wraps, and fiber wraps work awesome as well. Idk if you know anything about them, but they are my choice if i need to extend my natural nail. There are alot of factor as to why acryllics don't work for someone or anything else. 

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

It sounds like the Shellac would peel with my mom then.  She has to open things at work, and the machine she works with is harsh on her hands, too.  

Daniela1387

Im not sure. But I can tell you that I do crossfit which is an extreme workout routine where I'm doing alot of lifting, flipping tractor tires etcphoto.JPG and my nails stay strong and last me without clipping for weeks on end. Heres a picture of my nails today they need to be redone but this is 3 weeks of wearing them and they have held up nicely. 

arielaaaaaaaa

Hi, For a beginner they are really good. 

I did alot of nails while in Cosme school and got alot of pointers, My instructors always said i was a natural!! Here is a pic i did with with sculpted tips, 

acryllic.jpg

It really just takes practice!! Are you in cosmo school or anything, have you done any reading on it, i'd be happy to give some pointers!! 

kimmi1115

Thank you, and I love the colorful sculpted nails!!!!  They're stunning!!!  I'm not in cosmo school, but I would like to go to one after teaching for a couple of years.  I will need something to do during my summers off, and my future mother-in-law who is a cosmetologist thinks I would be good at it.  She's already volunteered herself as a guinea pig lol.  I wanted to go to the Vocational Technology Center during high school to take classes, but the guidance counselor wouldn't let me.  :smileysad:  She made me take physics and advanced trigonometry, which I have never used so far in life.

I would love some pointers!!  Can you PM me when you have time?

arielaaaaaaaa

Sure! No problem!

janinebt

Wow! Really really nice work Kimmi! I guess my only suggestion would maybe be to try applying them closer to the nail tip? But other than that they look professional!! 

Whimsically yours,
Janine
kimmi1115

Thanks, Janinebt!!  I probably do need to apply them closer to the tip.  The dvd said to apply about 1/3 of the way down on the nail.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • kimmi1115
    • janinebt
    • lylysa
    • swanbeauty
    • Daniela1387