cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|
Anonymous Insider

Favorite Base Coats and Top Coats

What are some of your favorite base coats and tops coats?

I generally like a strengthening base coat just to keep my nails strong and healthy.  I recently finished off a Sephora by OPI one.  Currently, I've been using Bridge the Ridge from Sally's Beauty Supply.  I helps to fill in minor dents and ridges that can come up from time to time due to a rough glitter removal.  At least that's what I use it for lol.  It dries really fast and to a matte finish. 

I have a variety of topcoats.  I use to use Seche Vite, but it can sometimes shrink polish and cause it to come off in whole pieces.  Right now, I've been been using the Out The Door topcoat.  I really like it!  I also love my NYC Matte Me Crazy topcoat.  It dries fast,and it's super durable!  I was very surprised about that.  I use my Cina Top Coat and bonder when I use nail art pieces, glitter or rhinestones.

Re: Favorite Base Coats and Top Coats

I wish they would continue to make the custom avatars for those Active BTers. But i'm sure it's not something they can always do! Maybe they will do it again to recognize those who contribute so much to BeautyTalk!

Of everyone who could respond, it had to be arielaaaaaaaa with her delightful, custom red avatar.  I was wracking my brain the other day trying to remember who all had them.  It's been a while since I'd seen you post, so I forgot how awesome yours is.  Corny joke ahead....

Watch and you'll see.  Someday I'll be part of your world.

Seriously.  Someone should make me one!  I LOVE yours.  It was less than 2 years ago when I saw these all the time.  Now, I barely see them anymore.  I do miss you guys around here.

Haha! Someday!! If i knew how to make them i would totally do it!!! I log on usually once a day and see all the exciting things everyone talks about. I don't usually post anymore because most everyone i knew no longer comes on. And i now feel like an outsider lol! Your joke is still cracking me up though.... 🙂

I know the feeling, dahling!  I force myself to (selectively) be active since things have changed oh so much!

@PopularMakeup-

My favorite is the Formula X, the base coat and top coat are amazing. The base coat really works well and I feel like my polishes last a lot long and go on smoother after I use it. 

The top coat is thick and really glossy, when I'm wearing it people always think I've gotten a gel manicure!

You can purchase the set which will include a choice of 1 nail polish of your choice!

Formula X The System

http://www.sephora.com/the-system-P382361?skuId=1549989

❤️ Melissa
Anonymous Insider

The last reply to this thread is from 2012, so what's new in the world of base coats and top coats? What are your favorites now?

I am using Sally Hansen nail hardener as base coat, and then Sally Hansen top coat, or Butter London base and top coats. 

What are you guys using?

Anonymous Insider

I haven't ventured into the world of base coats yet. But I use the Seche Vite top coat and it makes a big difference!! 

I have been using Orly top 2 bottom as a basecoat, but only use it if I'm going to use glitter or something that might stain.  My top coat, I LOVE.  It is Orly Won't Chip.  For some reason it gets bad reviews... I've had great luck with it, and it is a thicker top coat, so I find it resists tip wear down.  If I don't change my manicure after a few days, I just reapply.  But, to be fair, my natural nails are very strong and don't flex all that much.  I have also been using it on manicures on top of acrylics, which is totally awesome because no only is there no chipping, the top coat adds an additional dimension to the polish.  It is super shiny.

I have been using Nail Magic/ OPI Nail Envy for my base coats before I do my nails. My nails suck, don't grow very fast, break and peel. Since I started using these as treatments and  base coats, the health of my nails improved and they are growing quite fast. I use Hoofers Choices Hard Shielding Top Coat and Seche Vite Top Coat together. I use Seche Vite to seal the polish down, then the Hoofers Choice as a finishing thing. The Hoofer's choice is a clear gel so my manicures last about a week and a half before I have to repaint my nails.

I love Nails inc. Kensington Caviar Top Coat!  It dries within minutes, my polish lasts a lot longer and it feels like a gel coating. I started using the Kensington Caviar Base Coat with it because I noticed certain polishes were staining my nails and that helps 🙂

nails inc. - Kensington Caviar Top Coatnails inc. - Kensington Caviar Base Coat

I have yet to try Seche Vite, never heard of or tried it! I'm a fan of this Deborah Lippman non-yellowing top coat that I like as a base coat AND top coat.

Right now I have a Sally Hansen Advanced Hards as Nails base coat and a regular top coat from her line, but my favorite base coat has to be my Butter London base. It gives your nails a cool matte finish that looks nice on the nails even without a layer of polish or color on top! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Anonymous Insider

@dianabt  You need to try the Seche Vite!  Minus the occasional shrinking I complained about, it dries really fast and it's pretty tough.  You can find it at Sally's Beauty Supply and Ulta.  I think they have a basecoat as well, but I've not tried it.

I agree with Kimmi! You totally should try it, Diana! It's a wonder for saving time!

I found my bottle on Amazon for about $3!

Oooo, good topic!

I'm in love with Butter London's Horse Power as my base coat, I'm on my second bottle!

For top coat, I use Seche Vite's Fast Dry Top Coat. My friend told me about it ages ago but I hopped on the band wagon late and I love it. I do notice the "shrinking" you mentioned, but it's not so often to where it's an issue and if it does occur it's at least 4 or 5 days into wear so I'm planning to swap colors/designs anyway. It does help out sooooooo much! Especially when I do more extensive designs or have multiple colors layered, I was really blown away by it!

I also use the Ulta clear top coat, sometimes I put the SV one first, let that dry and go back a couple of hours later or the next day with the Ulta one just to freshen up my nails.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • drawer.jpg
testing