kimmi1115

Failed Experiment and Gradient Nails

A couple of weeks ago (or something like that) I picked up the ASP Form A Nail nail forms from Sally's.  An instagram friend told me that nail forms are better for applying acrylic and nail art pieces.  Sally's had different types of forms: the ones I bought and the kind that wraps around your finger.  I talked to the Sally's lady, and she said they sell a lot the of Form A Nail ones.  

asp.jpg

So, today I experimented with them a bit.  After watching the DVD and reading, I wanted to try to use the forms to apply green acrylic and a butterfly piece to just the white tips on my ring fingers.  As you can see in the next picture, that did not work too well lol.  Since the forms are at a long length, I had to try to line up the acrylic and butterfly where I wanted them.  I did a crappy job on lining them up lol.

test.jpg

However, I do need to give the forms some credit.  They did do what they were meant to do, and I like how they keep the nail tip in a tight C curve as the acrylic sets for a few minutes.  On most videos that I have watched, the person uses a pinching tool on each nail to maintain the tight C curve.  I have not seen those tools in any store!  It sure would be handy so the acrylic and tip does not lift into a more relaxed type of C curve.  Why doesn't Sally's or Ulta have that tool?! lol.  

So, I chopped the extra acrylic off, and I did a gradient design for the heck of it.  I used Avon polishes in Seduce Me Strawberry and Grape Goddess.  In person, the color combo looks kind of funky and futuristic if that makes sense.  It really looked funky before I applied the top coat lol.

gradient.jpg

DTalksAll

Re: Failed Experiment and Gradient Nails

ooooo Kimmi, I love the gradient. 

Any chance you just need more practice with the forms? They seem like such a neat trick... if they actually worked LOL. 

kimmi1115

Thanks!  I definitely need more practice with the forms.  In a way, it's kind of like sculpting nails with forms that fold around the finger and nails, but all the sculpting takes place inside the form before pressing it onto the nail.  

jellybean917

The gradient is great! I love your color choices. I'd love to be able to do an ombre, but I don't know how people do it and I'm not sure I'm patient or talented enough to do it myself. You should see how I paint my nails now! Before I clean up, it looks like a very small child without developed motor skills did my nails lol

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

Thanks, and YouTube has many video tutorials on doing gradient/ombre nails.  There are also a few different methods for using a wedge sponge to see which you are the most comfortable with.  For my current nails, I brushed on the two colors directly onto the wedge cosmetic sponge.

Titian06

Hi, Kimmi!  I like the colors for your "funky and furturistic" gradient look--it looks really nice!

I also like the combination of the bright green acrylic and the blue butterfly.  For your first try at the nail form, it looks pretty good to me.  This is your gift, Kimmi!  I have no doubt, you'll have it figured out soon!  :-)

kimmi1115

Thank you very much!  The next time I redo my acrylics, I'm going to try the nail forms on all my nails.

prettyinpa

I like the colors you chose, they look so much like sherbet!  Bet you'll master the tricky acrylic nails in no time. I'd be sunk trying to do my dominant hand, much less apply the gel and applique, I'm in awe!

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

Thanks, prettyinpa!  It still feels weird trying to do my dominant hand, especially since I pretty much do everything right handed.

beautylovingirl

To me they look a lot like Ombre nails. The next thing we'll see on here is Kimmi's nail salon opening soon!:smileyvery-happy:

kimmi1115

Thank you!  I always get the terms gradient and ombre mixed up, especially since I see people on Instagram go back and forth with the two terms.  Maybe someday I'll get the terms straight lol.

It would be awesome if I could open a salon!  :smileyvery-happy:

roxystar4

the colors you chose for the gradient look so good! pretty!

LCResz

I lov the gradient look! Very funky and perfect for summer! The butterfly tip also looks pretty and I'm sure you'll get the technique down in no time :smileyhappy:

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

Thanks!  One of the things I like about gradients/ombre nails is that they're less messy than water marbling lol.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • kimmi1115
    • roxystar4
    • beautylovingirl
    • LCResz