bad823

Expensive nail polish -- worth it?

(0) Hearts

I use OPI with an occasional Essie thrown in.  I'm wondering what I'm missing with higher end polishes???

VTK084

Re: Expensive nail polish -- worth it?

(0) Hearts

I love Chanel and just got some Marc Jacob's which are amazing but right now I think the Indie brands are on the forefront of innovation.

I am in love love love with Cult Nails and just got my first Enchanted Polishes (waiting for them to come).

OCC is the best for matching.

caperella

(0) Hearts

I really don't think "high end" polish is worth it at all. The few I have perform the same or worse than my favourite brands (CND Vinylux, China Glaze, OPI). I don't find that the high end brands like Chanel are any more trendy than the mid range polish companies are. As a nail tech, I can't justify using high end brands on clients and I, myself, wear nothing but gel polish. I'd be lucky to get a day out of regular polish with all the polish remover and water I'm around daily. I'd much rather take the money that it'd cost to buy a high end polish and buy a gel polish instead. 

jxw200

(0) Hearts

i think the benefit of high end polishes are their colors - chanel in particular has some pretty unique releases here and there. However, I find that midrange options work best for me. I'm the type who has chipped nails in about a day, and chanel really doesn't work for me at all. I don't see much difference in wear - i do agree that is more a result of base/top coat, at least for me. 

I like Nails Inc, Butter London, deborah lippmann. :smileyhappy: Sephora's Formula X is making a good impression on me. and honestly sally hansen instadri is impressive too (the line, as well as the topcoat in the red bottle!)

I do want dior polishes (i like the brush) and am curious about the guerlain and marc jacobs though. i did purchase a D&G one I have yet to try but in general i try to stay away from the designer nail polish brands like chanel/dior/guerlain/d&g etc. I'm not even good at painting my nails and don't do it often, so i find that i'd rather put my money towards something else! 

malday

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Most polishes work roughly the same for me. a lot of it has to do with application and base + top coats, etc. I will splurge on Chanel polishes sometimes though since a lot of their colors are really beautiful (Taboo and Malice just to name a couple). If you can find cheaper dupes then by all means buy the cheaper one!

One I can say for sure about Chanel though is that although a dupe may come out eventually, they never quite capture certain subtle qualities that the Chanel Le Vernis polishes have! 

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

I agree, i have had good and bad from each price point. I read good reviews about the covergirl outlast and maybelline color show. Have tried each, and they are fine. A lot depends on how i prep my nails. If i take the time to do a swipe of polish remove first, it all seems to last a lot longer. I have had good luck with perfect Nail manicure booster as a base and topcoat.  It seems to me like glittery polishes chip the fastest, no matter what the brand.

HelloCoffee

Some cheap ones have been great: I swear by Brucci, good coverage, pigment and range of colors and Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear is great, too.  I love OPI, Essie, Zoya and China Glaze…but I can't see spending more than 12 unless the color is outstanding…..but then again, whenever that happens, there's usually a cheaper dupe within a few months anyway.  I always google for dupes.  This happened to be with Butter London Wallis and Chanel Peridot…I ended up finding a color in Forever 21 called Golden Olive which is awesome and looks just like them.

I had a few from Butter London and they chipped like crazy.  I find the Deborah Lippmann ones really hard to work with too (although they are really pretty).  The best glitters were Sephora by OPI….I miss that line : (

lizie

(0) Hearts

I think they are. I have some Dior and Chanel nail polishes and they are amazing!!! They dry quickly, stay longer than others and the colors are fantastic. But, I have heard this concern before...I don't completely get it. My sister buys some really high end mascaras and eyeliners but she doesn't buy nail polishes because she says they "don't last." This is absolutely bewildering! Since, she takes off the mascara/eyeliner everyday, but the nail polish should last her a few days on her nails.

MonopolizeMe

(0) Hearts

Honestly, the only major difference is the fact that, like others have mentioned, higher end brands tend to have cool and on-trend colors/textures that don't always trickle down into lower end options until later. If you don't care about that, you really aren't missing anything by not using higher end polishes- I have an extensive collection (~200 polishes), of mainly Sally Hansens/Essies/OPIs, with a fair few Dior, Illamasqua, Julep, Chanel and Butter Londons thrown in, and on the nails, the price difference just doesn't translate into significantly better quality. With the right application technique, you can't tell the difference which is why I stick to just buying lower end ones- I can rarely finish an entire bottle, and although my nail polish doesn't dry out (Thanks to the restore thinner from Seche Vite), I just can't justify spending that much money on a single nail polish that doesn't stand out enough to merit the increase in price.

ladymeag

(0) Hearts

Some of the high-end polishes also have fewer toxic ingredients (Dior, Chanel) while staying on top of trends and keeping things interesting. I'm a mid-range buyer, as I like the vegan, 5-free, long-wearing formula Zoya has but they tend not to do the more exciting trends like holos or linear holos well, if at all. If you want classic polishes that are long lasting and lighter on toxins, you can find stuff in the mid-range. If you want fashion trends, going high-end might suit you. If you want teen/flash-in-the-pan trends or don't worry about ingredients, you can probably happily stay with what you're buying. :smileyhappy: 

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

I've tried lots of different nail polishes, and even though the difference is very slight, my high end ones do better overall. Better application, formula, drying time, and wear.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I started out with mid-range polishes, but once you go Chanel/Dior, it's tough to go back. The colors are wonderful and on the forefront of trends. I find that the formula and brushes are far better than any drugstore products.

mimibel

(0) Hearts

I think some are, but I buy all prices. With cremes, I love my OPI though. The color saturation and finishes on some Chanel Le Vernis are very lovely. There are color dupes sure, if you are after the current 'it' color but they never quite seem to capture the finishes. I was wondering too so I compared a few side-by-side to some popular dupes. Most of the time I like the Chanel better, but I'm mostly talking about pearly or more metallic finishes. The micro glitter is usually very fine, they streak less. Sometimes that little extra in the finish is really important to me, sometimes it isn't. I think it depends on each polish. I like most of my 7-8 colors of Juleps better than drugstore but not as much as Chanel. I wait for the Julep sales but skip lots of monthly boxes. 

doriangray

The best thing about $$$ nail polishes from Dior, Chanel, etc. is the cutting-edge fashionable colors.  They tend to not be tops for quality(opacity, smoothness, hardness, wear time, brush quality).  You can always find dupes for the colors, maybe not right away, but next season.  

I have a massive, insane collection of nail polish and I am very picky about quality formulas.  My favorites are OPI, China Glaze, and Complete Salon Formula by Sally Hansen.  Sally Hansen also does runway work and designer collaborations every season, so they do get trendsetting shades.  

jellybean917

(0) Hearts

I have some Dior polishes, and I really like the brushes. They are wide and sort of fool-proof in terms of application. They go on smoothly and I love the colors I have. They chip like any other polish would, but maybe not quite as quickly. Most of my collection consists of Sephora by OPI and Formula X.

I'd add in another tier to nail polishes and call OPI and Essie like mid-range. They definitely perform better than NYC or other cheap drugstore polishes. You aren't missing much unless there's a high-end color you really want.

ShinyMagpie

(0) Hearts

I recently signed up with Julep for a subscription and have been using their polishes. I've had the current color on my feet for just over two weeks and not a single chip. 

I would never buy those walmart Sinful Colors ones again. I had one stain my nails so badly even with a base coat. My nail lady said she'd never seen anything like it. 

I have a couple of the OCC polishes and they wear well. OPI, Nicole, China Glaze, NARS, Essie, Sally Hansen, Julep and Orly all wear well for me. My collection runs the gamut of price. 

mimibel

(0) Hearts

I had the same staining with a Sinful Colors, both my natural nails and acrylics too. A dark green. Unfortunately the staining looked like some kind of gross fungus. Never again. 

bleuorchid21

(0) Hearts

My collection consists mostly of OPI, Essie (my least favorite since I find the quality usually lacking), Sephora by OPI (formula was excellent, wish they hadn't gotten rid of these), China Glaze, and a few other brands.

I don't own any really expensive polishes but unless a color blew me away, I can usually find a cheaper dupe or make my own. I painted my nails with 2 or three shades from my collection last year and it looked exactly like a Deborah Lippman polish but not nearly as expensive.

I did recently buy 2 Victoria's Secret polishes since I had a rewards card (worth $10) and they were on sale for 2 or $15 so I figured why not. Not in love with the one color but the other is a darker purple and very pretty. It surprisingly lasted on my nails around a week.

Suiteheart

(0) Hearts

I saw a ton of Sephora by OPI at Tj Maxx and Marshall's/homegoods last week!

BeautyLove02

(0) Hearts

I rarely paint my nails anymore because they chip so quickly (3 kids, 2 really young.) When I do paint my nails, I've been using Illamasqua Nail Varnish because it really is a hard wearing polish. It will last up to a week straight on me with little to no chipping. Drugstore polishes hardly ever last a full day before chipping. I use my hands a LOT throughout the day, and I've been really impressed with Illamasqua. I hate the price, but to me it's worth it. If I'm going to put effort into my nails, I want it to last longer than 16 hours, you know? It also doesn't apply streaky, dries pretty quickly, and the layers will kind of level itself into an even coat.

ShinyMagpie

I've had the opposite with Illamasqua. I splurged on a bottle of Viridian a while ago and used it for a Pedi. Chipped in three days. Right now I've had a Julep color on for two weeks with no chips and I'm pretty hard on my feet. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • malday
    • marydiva
    • jxw200
    • lilyyy
    • janinebt
    • ladymeag