redrose04

Can I just use the opi gel nail polish without buying the whole kit?

(0) Hearts

its expensive and just wondering if I can just buy the gel colored ones and use a reg top coagoiania how long is the drying time? Thanks

DTalksAll

Re: Can I just use the opi gel nail polish without buying the whole kit?

(0) Hearts

I bought a Red Carpet Manicure kit from ulta, it was around $60 to see if this was something I could get into. The LED light in the kit is portable & requires 4 AA batteries. I use rechargeable batteries because it sucks a lot of juice.

I love doing my own gel manicures! I'm going to my local Sally's to pick up a stronger plug-in LED light. I bought some Sephora OPI polishes to use with my kit & it works fine. Drying time varies by light strength & formula. Typically it's around 1-2 minutes for the base coat, 1-3 minutes for a thin coat of polish, 1-3 minutes for another thin coat of polish, then 2 minutes for the top coat. 

I tried doing "gelly-sandwiches" with my regular polishes. It depends on the formula. I've tried doing a clear gel base, color, then gel top coat. But the most effective is paint nails normally, wait overnight for them to fully dry, then gel top coat (set under the light). I get about 4 days use out of them before they begin to chip. A regular manicure will chip on my day one. A full gel manicure lasts about 2 weeks on me, sometimes 1.5 weeks. 

bittersweet86

Re: Can I just use the opi gel nail polish without buying the whole kit?

(0) Hearts

You do need to buy a UV or LED lamp to be able to cure gel polishes but there are some brands now that do make a UV/LED free gel polish that you would treat as a normal polish. Sinful colors has a collection with gel tech so it like a gel polish but you treat it like a normal one and they're not bad. 

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • bittersweet86
    • redrose04