Answer
katimae
Nail polish coming off in sheets

Ok, I think this is weird, I know it's never happened to me or any of my friends before, but my nail polish is coming of in a layer.  It is not chipping at all. It's just that one day I'll look down and the whole nail's polish will be gone.  and it's always one of the pointer finger's.  It doesn't make a difference if I use a base coat or not. I have been using Konad polish b/c I've been stamping my nails with Konad stamps, which do seem to work better with their polish. Any experiences?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 6
SJLxo
Answered
(0) Hearts

Mine does the same thing! I painted my nails 2 nights ago with Butter London and used Seche Vite as a top coat. Today I get to work and they have all bubbled up! I know if I mess with them, they will peal off in sheets! I don't know what I am doing wrong, as I've never had this problem before. It doesn't matter if I use a base coat or no base coat - same problem. It's very frustrating.

sassysilver
Answered
(0) Hearts

Well that happens a lot to me too! What I've found is that it could be your top/basecoat. Sometimes if you don't shake it until there is bubbles or if the polish is old or too thick it will peel like you are describing. If it is too old throw it away but if it is too thick try adding small amounts of water to the polish until it is restored the proper thickness. If you just don't have a very good base/topcoat then I suggest going to Sally's Beauty Supply. They have great nail supplies there. Hope this helps!

PS. The one that did that to me was called Rush don't get that one.

6aad0801
Answered
(0) Hearts

Actually having your nail polish peel off in a chunk is not weird at all.  Nail polish, like makeup is more than colour; also adherence properties come into play. That's one reason for primers and makeup bases: to improve adherence.  So your nail polish is not grabbing and holding onto your nail well.  One reason may be that your nails had some oils on them before you added the base coat or polish.  A way salons prevent this is that they lightly sand your nail with a nail buffer. This creates tiny grooves in your nail that the polish will hold onto or grip.  So, I would just buy a buff bar from Sephora (I think $4?) and lightly rough up each nail surface.  It should still feel and look smooth as the buff bars are very fine.

That should help! :smileyvery-happy:

prettyinpa
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've had that happen when I wasn't really, really careful to get all my hand soaking material off my nails before I started with the polish. I used to use one of those hand soaks (from Sally Beauty, I forgot which one) to soften cuticles before I pushed them back) and I think there must have been some oil type component in there. I washed my hands but didn't wipe my nails down with polish remover before I started with base coat and the polish lifted off in sheets like you are describing. It did it about 2 hours after I finished my polishing, too!:smileysad: I normally don't polish my nails, just my toes,  because I am so hard on them, but here I went to all the work for a special event and my polish was peeling up!

So, after this long story, maybe if you give your nails a wipe with polish remover to make sure they are completely free of oil, it won't happen again.

Hope this helps!

tenngal
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi, katimae!  I don't have any personal experience with that happening, but I'm thinking that it probably has something to do with the Konad polish.  Have you tried using a different polish that you have laying around to test and see if it does the same thing?  Since you're using a base and top coat, I think it must have something to do with the Konad polish or the stamping process (which I don't know that much about).  Unfortunately, I don't own one of the Konad stampers, but I've been wanting one.  Anyway, I would try using an OPI, China Glaze, Sally Hansen, Revlon, or any other polish you have and leave it on for a week and see if it comes off like the Konad.  If it doesn't, then you'll know for sure it's a problem with the polish.

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

P.S.  PM me and let me know what the results are after you test it.  I'm curious to know if it's the Konad polish or not. Thanks! :smileyhappy:

officegal
Answered
(0) Hearts

What brand of nail polish are you using, Katimae? I forget the name but there is a brand out there that dries and is peel-off-able. (Which sounds convenient in theory but not when it happens to you unexpectedly like that!)

Question Stats
  • 6 answers
  • 3 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • officegal
    • prettyinpa
    • katimae
    • 6aad0801
    • sassysilver
    • SJLxo