Answer
rachelhere95
Colored nails with a black prom dress!?

I badly need a pop of color to my prom outfit - my dress and shoes are both black and my jewelry is silver w/rhinestones. It's very pretty and sophisticated and everything, but it's still PROM so I need to add some fun to the outfit!! I was thinking about turquoise or purple as an accent color... would it be weird to have turquoise nails with my black dress? If I do that, should I add something else to the outfit to match that turquoise? Thank you!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 6
ChicDabbler
Answered

hmm, with black and silver, I think a shimmery jewel tone would be best. If it's the vibrant shimmery turqoise like the image below, I think it's fine.

If it's opaque pastel turqoise, not so much.

Whatever color you pick is fine, go for the shimmery jewel tone version I say.

melissabt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi Rachelhere95,

I think wearing a neon pop of color is perfect with a black dress. Especially since we are in spring you want to keep it fun! I suggest these shades:

Illamasqua Nail Varnish

Color Stance - fuschia violet/ glossy finish
Illamasqua - Nail Varnish
Color Rare - bright neon yellow/ satin finish
Illamasqua - Nail Varnish
Butter London
Color Slapper - truly teal
butter LONDON - 3 Free Nail Lacquer
Color HRH - proper purple

Primrose Hill Picnic - tropical fuchsia pink

<3 Melissa
projulianna
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi Rachelhere95,

I love the idea of adding a sweep of bright, bold, nail color like turquoise or purple! No need to add anything else turquoise in your outfit. You’ll be making a statement and staying right on trend for summer with your color choice.

I’d say the brighter the better, it’s prom!

Try:

Sephora by OPI In the Shadows              Sephora Collection Curacao

opi domestic goddess.jpgSC curacao.jpg

Best,

Julianna

PrincessLulu
Answered
(0) Hearts

I think you should go with red! It would look very elegant and at the same time it will give you the pop of color you need. It would look wonderful if you go with a red lipstick that is the same shade as your nailpolish! You can even have a hairstyle using a red flower as a hair accessory to add more red to your look.

spikiki
Answered
(0) Hearts

I know prom is over, but I guess I can still give advice for any black-dress occasion.

To start off, you need to be a little bit careful when picking the nail polish. Since you're wearing a black dress, this should be a bit easier, but it really depends on what look you want to go for.

Since you want bright nails with a black dress, you might want to pick medium-to-dark tones. For example, the black dress will clash with aqua-colored nails. Due to this, if you wanted blue, you'd be wise to pick a tone that is around the tone of robin's egg blue. 

Also, it might be a good idea to add some nail art. The neon nail art video on sephora.com would be a great idea to work around. Personally, if I was wearing that black dress, I'd do neon blue and black.

I hope I helped you for your next black dress occasion. If you have a question let me know.

makeupobesessed
Answered
(0) Hearts
I like turquoise but I initially thought red before I read your post entirely. I'm most usually a red person, but I like it when I want to attract attention and feel like being my noticeable. Have fun at prom!
Question Stats
  • 6 answers
  • 4 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • melissabt
    • denden798
    • ChicDabbler
    • makeupobesessed
    • mityren
    • projulianna
    • rachelhere95
    • PrincessLulu