Answer
thatchicgirl
Chanel Nail Polish - worth the money?

Do you guys think that Chanel nail polish is worth the money? I would love to have Blue Satin and Rouge Fatal, but $25 dollars seems like a lot for a nail polish. Especially for a teenager who makes minimum wage. Is the quality different from that of OPI or Essie at all? 

I would love to have it, but I want to make sure that's it's worth the splurge before I spend my money on it. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 13
starletta8
Answered
(0) Hearts

It depends... if it feels like it's too much, then it probably is. If it feels like a fun one-off, go for it.

Black Pearl was my first Chanel and now I have way too many (I counted a mortgage payment in my nail polish collection in total- ouch!). However, I'm blessed enough that 1-2 polishes at $27 each per month won't bankrupt me.  Have fun, but do so in moderation.

Panda168
Answered
(0) Hearts

No, there are definitely better options out there. If you've been itching to try one, then it would not hurt to splurge on one just to see if it is really worth the hype. However, I definitely recommend checking out the Sephora X line, OPI, Essie and I've heard amazing things about Zoya as well. 

I have at least 5 of the Chanel nail polishes and they haven't wowed me like other brands have, but to each their own. :smileyhappy: 

polly13
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

i love chanel, but $25 is too much for those particular colors. there are awesome high quality dupes out there for a fraction of the price. try essie midnight cami. it's gorgeous! 

aquamar14
Answered

I just purchased my first Chanel nail color and I noticed a big difference between it and other brands I love Essie and OPI.  I purchased a really dark burgundy/brown, which is a gorgeous color and is from the new Spring 2013 line.  I wanted a dark color, because I can usually get away with a light beige color in terms of chipping and I wanted to see what sort of quality Chanel possesses in that front...Anyway, I found that the Chanel nail polish is by far easier to apply.  I have a tendency to really botch my at home manicures, especially when it's a dark color, this polish was effortless...I don't know what it is...it might be the brush or the formula but it's magnificent.  Also, I noticed that it's not stinky...something I hate!  It dries VERY quickly and living in a wet  climate (seattle) makes it hard to keep nail polish from smudging.  Also 2 light coats is all you need...It's worth it to buy a dark shade, I would say light and pink shades you can get away with a cheaper brand...

katimae
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hey there!  I am very picky about my nail polish. And when it does come to nail polish I do believe you get what you pay for.  I love Chanel.  It's awesome. It goes on so much easier and I get such a nicer coat than with the cheaper polishes.  It stays on longer without chipping and I think the colors have more depth.  Now the obvious problem is the price.  I'm on disability so I know what it's like not to have much money.  So, I've had to get my Chanel nail polish sparingly.  I ask for it for Christmas and buy 1 or 2 others through out the year.  The other thing is I found  that NARS is a good compromise.  It's $16 - $17 and good quality.  I really like it.  Maybe give that a try.  Hope this helped.:smileywink:

ncip
Answered
(0) Hearts

Although I have never used the chanel polish myself, when I compare the wear I get from OPI polishes to what friends get from their Chanel polishes, I tend to get better wear.  Plus, I can get more, and more exotic, colors when I stick to OPI.  (From what I can tell online, Russian navy might be close to the darker shade you mentioned, and if it is the more silvery shade you like, you might want to try Lucerne-tainly look marvelous--I get a ton of complements every time I wear it).

tenngal
Answered
(0) Hearts

I honestly think that even though Channel polishes are great quality, there are so many other brands such as OPI, Essie, Sally Hansen that are a lot cheaper, but are just as good in quality. 

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

pinkyy13
Answered

The Chanel nail polishes are great quality but I still dont think they are worth the money...especially if you work a minimum wage job. Think of how many hours you work just to pay off one nail polish! 

Essie and OPI have such great colors and really are good formulas that it just doesnt justify buying a nail polish that costs $25.

I agree with the other ladies though. If you are going to buy it then make it a treat, not a habit. 

xoxo

iheartmakeup85
Answered

I would say its better than essie or opi, its the color that people seem to be drawn to. Plus the fact its "chanel", if you can find similar colors in other brands that definatly go for those and save your money. If its a special color, then you may want to splurge on one....but try googling dupes for the colors you want and im sure you can find a cheaper alternative

katie1724
Answered
[ Edited ]

I agree with allegrissima -- if you want to splurge, pick a color and make it the exception, not the habit -- because really, Chanel makes wonderful polishes, but you're paying for the Chanel brand. Others, like OPI and Essie, are of excellent quality at 1/3 of the cost. As islandqt stated, nail polish has come a long way! The staying power of an $8 polish is just as great, and you can often find very similar colors. Then, when you're an adult and earning an income, you can splurge as much as it allows.

: )

allegrissima
Answered

As a former nail polish user, I say they are absolutely worth the money!  I used to wear nothing but Chanel nail polish.  The colors are great - especially the deeper ones and they last well.  However,... 

You are still very young and you must think carefully about this purchase.  If you were an adult with a great income, then I'd say go ahead.  But at your age (and income for that matter), I'm assuming you like makeup and like to purchase other things..(glosses, mascara, shadow, eyeliner..  yes?).  If you do, then this purchase would be quite hefty for you. 

At your age, it would be better to splurge your money on good skin care to maintain the quality of your skin and go for less expensive nail polish.  You have a lot of good years ahead of you to purchase more expensive nail polish when you have more money. 

As mentioned previously, OPI, Essie and even Zoya are great to play with. 

Best of luck to you and happy shopping  :smileyhappy: 

islandqt
Answered

Honestly I love Chanel polish but I think nail polish has come so far that there is very little difference between brands and what has managed to keep Chanel apart from everyone else is that they're always coming out with the "trendy" cool colors first and everyone copies them. So if you want the hottest shade for the season first then Chanel is the place to go.

Pros about Chanel polishes:

--They last a loooong time and I have never seen them separate EVER!

--Take a long time to chip (if they ever do chip)

--As I said before, Chanel comes out first and everyone else are imitators.

--You will never need more than two coats

--formula is incredibly rich and creamy so your nails don't ahev to be perfect for it to look smooth. It also makes the application foolproof.

--Their top coat reall does give a ridiculous shine to the nails. Love it.

CONs

--Some colors are overhyped and swatch not true to color like Paradoxal. In the bottle it has this delicious purple frost/shimmer but just ends up looking gray on your nail.

--As good as they are I don't know if they are $25 good. Brands I think compare in terms of longevity and consistency are Orly, Ciate, Butter london and Nailtini.

--While they often come out with fantastic limited edition shades I find their regular line to be a bit on the safe side, often getting a bit redundant ( I personally think there are far too many pale pinks and beiges in the collection).

--Their base coat is something I would skip on. Sally Hansen, Orly and Seche Vite all make ones that are comparable in my opinion.

In the end nail polish is the same basic formula and I think brands set themselves apart more with things like packaging, color range/innovation and longevity. There are lots of great brands that will give you the hotness without breaking your bank account.

Hope this helps you!

officegal
Answered

I have Blue Satin and a few other Chanel polishes.  And yes, they're very expensive!  I try not to get it unless it's a really unique colour that isn't duplicated by any other company.  In general, I don't find Chanel nail polish to be of great value unless you can easily afford it (which I did when I was working full-time but not now as a university student).  OPI and Essie and even China Glaze are excellent affordable nail polish with a wide range of colour.  Basically, the darker the polish the more opaque it applies.  So despite the high price tag, Chanel polishes with pale colour don't apply as easily or nicely as you might think.  Blue Satin applies well, however.  I don't know about Rouge Fatal since I don't own it.

It's up to you, really.  With the $50 you spend on 2 Chanel nail polishes, you can get 5 or more other nail polishes.  But if you think the shades are unique and worth the money, go ahead and splurge.

Question Stats
  • 13 answers
  • 19 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • katie1724
    • officegal
    • islandqt
    • katimae
    • allegrissima
    • pinkyy13
    • steph1126