DST57

"Swatched" vs. "Tried"

Posted this in the Traveling Sephora Box #3 thread but figured it would get buried there, so I wanted to put it out here in hopes of hearing what you all think about it. It seems like something most people just instinctively understand but I was wondering how you define something as "swatched" versus "tried." I'm especially curious because I'm part of the third TSB and want to make sure I accurately describe what I'm putting in there. Is it mostly about the number of times you touched or used it? To swatch something, do you only do the one strip on the arm/hand that we see pics of on here? And then tried means maybe I actually used the eyeshadow on my eyes once, so a brush that touched my eyes may have been dipped in it more than once? Thanks for any insights :-)

syritt

Re: "Swatched" vs. "Tried"

Oh gosh I want to have a beauty swap now. I can't do one of the boxes because I just can't guarantee schedule, but this seems like such a better thing in person!

kimchikween

If you find like-minded makeup lovers in your area, you could start a makeup swapping club.

DST57

(0) Hearts

Since we're on the topic, saw this recently and thought it seemed a lot like our traveling boxes but with people who live near you :-)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/verymuchso/how-to-have-the-best-beauty-swap-ever

prettyinpa

I'm with you on the definition of swatched vs tried, but if you look on makeup swap places like MakeupAlley and such, I think people's definitions are all over the place. I've seen items described as "swatched, 98% left". What did they swatch them with, a house painting brush?????

iknowitstoday

[ Edited ]

thank you so much for posting I am really glad my gaffe could bring this to light I am so glad for your help clearing this up. I got overly excited and ***put alcohol and*** scrubbed my products. how does one PROPERLY sanitize. I feel like such an idiot. 

DST57

Don't feel like an idiot, I asked bc that's exactly what I was considering doing too haha I had asked about cleaning a lipstick the other day actually bc I had gotten a picture in my head of wiping down a lipstick with an alcohol swap and thought I'd end up just ruining the lipstick.  Someone explained that with "stick" stuff you usually spritz it with a spray bottle filled with alcohol or dip it in a cup of alcohol.  After that I'm guessing you just let it air dry (that's what I've heard about cleaning surfaces like sinks and stuff too, that after you clean it you should let it air dry rather than going back through with another dry cloth and wiping it all down again...something about it killing more germs that way).  I think I'm going to go with the spritz method for things like swatched (or tried, if I have any that I end up deciding to get rid of) compacts and the dip method for lip products.

Titian06

These are definitions from the on-line Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Swatch = a small piece of cloth that is used as a sample for choosing colors, fabrics, etc.

Try = to put to test or trial <try one's luck> —often used with out <try out a new method>

I think it would be acceptable under "swatch" to replace "piece of cloth" with "line/area of color."

Another way to think of it is using foundation for an example.  When you go to Sephora you probably put a dab of foundation on the back of your hand or maybe clean a spot on your cheek and put a dab there--that's a swatch.  If you take all your make-up off to put the foundation on your entire face as though you were putting it on for real--that's a trial.

ChicDabbler

Same as others. Swatch means I used clean finger/tools on it once. Used means I used it multple times, or didn't sanitize everything within 5km before I touched it.

Personally I open and swatch half of the first-time purchases just to make sure it works or I'm not allergic to it, then sanitize everything and put it back until ready to be used. If I used it more than once, I hesitate to pass it on and make it clear that it's used (even if sanitized).

DTalksAll

When I say swatch I mean I use a clean brush to swatch it on my arm, eye, lip, face... & I never double dip. 

Tried means it could be a brush that was used &/or I double dipped. 

beautylovingirl

To me swatched means you just put a little on your skin to see what it looked like.

Tried means you actually wore it once, twice, etc... Hope this helps!

DST57

That's what I was thinking too but wasn't sure if others would agree...

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

That's my intake too so your not alone!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll