legew

me wearing makeup 15 year old boy

I love makeup so much and I was wondering what I need to do about this obsession and if I can wear make up in public. I have wanted to play with makeup for about a year now and i have loved when girls put makeup on me or i use some of my moms. I would love to take this to a new level and start wearing makeup in public or just buying makeup and trying it on at home and practicing. Some day i would love to be a makeup artist. I would also need a way to do this without my parents knowing and how would i buy the makeup i want.

marydiva

Re: me wearing makeup 15 year old boy

(0) Hearts

Hey!! :smileyhappy:
You sound alot like my friend Michael. Luckily, his parents are pretty openminded to the idea of him wearing makeup and he's able to play with it as much as possible.
One of the best ways that he convinced his parents to let him get into makeup to begin with, was joining drama and doing the makeup for the drama department. Once they saw how passionate he was about it, they were totally okay with him wearing makeup whenever he wanted!! :smileyhappy: He started off with foundation, & scuplting his face with bronzer & highlighter, but sometimes he does up his eyes too and it looks FABULOUS. :smileyhappy: He's a MAC believer & went straight to the high end products.
Guys consistently rock the eyeliner look, I've noticed! That's a great way to get your foot in the door if you want to start wearing it in public! Just throw on a little eyeliner and see how people react :smileyhappy:
Makeup is so much fun and I'm so happy that you're about to discover it's magic :smileyhappy:

mxcx

Re: me wearing makeup 15 year old boy

Hi dear,

First of all, I think it's fantastic that you're interested in makeup and looking for ways to experiment! I understand your concern about your parents (my parents are super against my wearing makeup sigh), and I hope you're not in the house all the time or they're not home all the time so you do get a chance to express yourself. (:

I recommend starting off with inexpensive lines just to play around and see what you like. Because of that, I think you might want to dabble in drugstore makeup first. Have you ever heard of a makeup line called ELF? They have really inexpensive products and the quality isn't bad for the price. They're generally sold at Target, and they have a variety of products including mascara, eyeshadow, blush/bronzer, lipstick/lipgloss, and so on that you can try. Most of their products range from 1-3$, so you're not spending a huge amount of money if you find products that you don't like so much. 

Another really affordable brand is Wet n Wild, and I think the quality of their eyeshadows is fantastic for the price. They also have pretty nice square-pan blushes as well. And really inexpensive nail polish! Just make sure to get a good nail polish remover so you can clean off any polishes if you don't like the color or if you don't want your parents to see. (: Any nail polish remover will do; the CVS one works pretty well and it's less than 2$. 

Once you figure out what kinds of products and colors you like, you could move onto other brands such as Revlon, Maybelline, Neutrogena etc. These are still drugstore brands, but slightly pricier than the two I mentioned before. Maybelline mascaras are super popular, and they have a ton of different formulations, so it really depends on what you're looking for: volumizing, lengthening, or separating. Revlon has great lip products, including lip stains and lip butters (basically tinted lip balms), as well as lipsticks (I really like their Super Lustrous lipsticks). Neutrogena foundations are pretty popular, especially the Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup. Again, this all depends on what kinds of products you're looking for and what kind of "look" you want. For experimentation reasons, I really don't think you could go wrong. 

If you do want to venture into high-end makeup and department store makeup such as Sephora, I think the most important product is foundation and face makeup. Because your skin should be taken care of meticulously, I really recommend going high-end if you want to experiment with any kind of face makeup, including concealer, foundation, setting powder, and definitely skincare. It is much pricier, but I think it's worth it. Once you want to do this, I recommend calling a local Sephora and scheduling an appointment with one of the associates so they can help you out with choosing products. 

I think the hardest part of what you're trying to do is just starting and being comfortable with purchasing makeup. When I first started looking at makeup, I was super overwhelmed by all the different names and brands and colors and formulations and just.. everything! But once you get accustomed to displays and how everything is oriented, you'll feel much more at home. (: Everyone goes through such a learning process, so you'll be just fine.

I hope this gave you some ideas for where to start, and please keep us updated on your makeup explorations! I'm sure we'd all love to see you as a successful makeup artist someday. (:

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • marydiva
    • legew
    • mxcx