Nicrohr

love zPallette idea (I'm **bleep**, love organization) - but Depotting sucks so far :( All Broken!

(0) Hearts

Today I depotted ny Nars blush - first tried prying, which didn't work - shattered the blush.  Then tried hairdryer on high heat for a while until the back heated up to melt the glue.  Also didn't work.

Then with my Acoin sculpting powder, I tried the over method (250+ for ten minutes or so to melt glue, etc), and then used a small knife to gently pry (UBER carefully, slowly, trying different angles).... that shattered too.

These were my FAVORITE products so I am SUPER sad about this :smileysad:.  I tried putting the NARS back together with alcohol like they say BUT it changed the color and now it's just cracking as it dries (little hairline cracks all over).

Anyone have depotting tips or tricks??

malday

Re: love zPallette idea (I'm **bleep**, love organization) - but Depotting sucks so far :( All Broke

I second both the open flame and hair straightener methods, both work well for me (with the exception of one fallen eyeshadow lol). I also like to remove the label stickers with heat so I can attach to the bottoms of the depotted pans and still know the brand and shade :smileyhappy:

poshified

Re: love zPallette idea (I'm **bleep**, love organization) - but Depotting sucks so far :( All Broke

I use an old hair straightener to melt the glue. Just be sure to place a sheet of wax paper in between the straightener and the container holding the eyeshadow/blush/etc :smileyhappy:. Also, like you said, make sure you're in a ventilated area.

Nicrohr

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Oh gosh I was trying to avoid totally molten plastic (i.e. open flame), because burning plastic can release toxic fumes and also I am likely to burn myself.  However, I'm sure I can do it in a ventilated area... I guess I will try this next!

Sifter container - will do if I can't get it all working again.  It's just that I was sooo excited to have everything organized in one palette lol!!!

RiaMo

Oh that sucks! I'm way to OCD for depotting for a Zpallette. I used to even have trouble getting rid of the original boxes. Now I carefully fold them and keep them for about a month to make sure it's a product that I'm not going to return and then once I know it's a keeper I get rid of the box. But to take stuff out of it's container and then put it in another one. I would not want that. Although I do have some loose powders I'd like to press and put in a Zpallette. 

Nicrohr

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Ha Ria you said two things I was thinking, too --

1. I keep every package these days and was ONLY repotting things I know I love and will keep.  I do the same thing with the packages in case I need to return it.

It was a tough choice on my **bleep**-ness and OCD as to whether to depot, but I think it looks more together and organized in one palette -- if I used all one brand, I might like having their little compacts.  But as it is they don't match! hehe!

2.  I also want to try that with a loose powder, I wonder if it will work!

nebel

Also, to repair using alcohol, you have to REALLY press down and compact the powder well.  Also, the color should return to normal once the alcohol has completely dried!  If this doesn't work, though, you can always put the pieces crushed up in a little sifter container and use it that way!  Hope this helps!

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

I went back and pressed reallllly hard on the NARS blush now that it is mostly dry and that seems to be working! thanks :smileyvery-happy:.  Not cracked again now.

Once the Aucoin is mostly dry I will add some pressure there, too. 

Thanks!

lylysa

Yup!

Totally works!

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Eyes/Mineral-shadows-and-pigments/m-p/472115/highlight/true#M2374

A user posted a while back about pressing/creating her own pressed shadows and I posted some tips.

warriorwitch

I second the open flame, use a candle or lighter and a very slim tool (I use razor blades/xacto knives) to gently lift the pan. If the packaging is really thick, or has more than one layer you might want to carefully dismantle it so there is as little between the glue and the heat source as possible.

nebel

I always found it worked best over an open flame.  I depotted many MAC and UD eye shadows using a candle. 

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

Agreed, safest and easiest way is with a candle. Although I do get lazy and end up cracking things by thinking I can pry instead of using flame. Thank you Tarte for not using glue! Love how their blushes are magnetized so they just pop right out :smileyvery-happy:

beethousand

Yep, I've never had any trouble depotting and I've only depotted with flame. I prefer a lighter to a candle though. I just melt the backs of everything and then pop the pan out with a pen.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • malday
    • poshified
    • lylysa
    • RiaMo
    • nebel
    • warriorwitch