Answer
sfisherx
looking to purchase great brushes - help :)
(0) Hearts

Hi! I am looking to purchase a great set of brushes. I have never purchased any, so I am looking for any suggestions on what to buy? Thank you! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 5
ran8
Answered

Sephora offers some really good brush sets from their own collection.  The Advanced Airbrush Set are excellent quality brushes that would be great to have in your starter collection.  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P280421&categoryId=B70 If I did not have similar brushes in my collection, I would pick these up.  

However, if you are on a budget or unsure of exactly what you need, Real Techniques are great quality brushes and are affordable.  EcoTools might also be worth looking into. 

tenngal
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi, sfisherx.  When first starting your brush collection, I think it is easiest to start out by purchasing a set because there are so many different brushes that trying to choose one can become almost overwhelming.  However, in the beginning even purchasing a set can get confusing because different sets have different styles of brushes so I wanted to give you the information about a couple of good brush sets from the Sephora Collection that would be a good investment that should last you for years if taken care of properly.

First of all there is the Sephora Collection Deluxe Antibacterial Brush Set which is a seven-piece brush set that repels and destroys bacteria that comes in a silver, tri-fold brush case.  The seven brushes included are basic necessary brushes for use on a daily basis which are:  a foundation brush, concealer brush, powder brush, angled eyeshadow brush, eye blender brush, lip/eyeliner brush, and a brow brush/lash comb.  This is a good quality set of brushes for $60 which you can find here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P197107&categoryId=C17385&shouldPaginate=true

Another good choice would be the Sephora Collection Vanity Brush Set which is a set of six essential brushes housed in a black, faux-leather cylinder with a customized slot for each individual brush.  The case has a handy snap-on, snap-off lid and it includes the following brushes:  complexion (blush/powder) brush, concealer brush, pointed eye crease brush, flat eyeliner brush, eye blending brush and a smudge brush.  You can find this set here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P127113&categoryId=C17385&shouldPaginate=true

A very good value in my opinion is the Sephora Collection Perfect Pink Brush Set which is $60 and contains 10 essential brushes for the face, eyes, and lips.  It comes with all the brushes needed to create a full face and they come in a pretty pink carrying case.  This set includes the following brushes:
- Fan Brush
- Blush Brush
- Powder Brush
- Concealer Brush
- Medium Eyeshadow Brush
- Medium Blending Brush
- Small Eyeshadow Brush
- Dual-Sided Brow Brush and Lash Comb
- Angled Eyeliner Brush
- Lip Brush

You can find this set here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P273009&categoryId=C17385&shouldPaginate=true

Remember that buying a set of brushes is an investment.  Purchasing good quality brushes is important so that they do a good job and last for a long time.  They must also be taken care of in order to get the best wear out of them by cleaning them with a good brush cleaner such as the Sephora Daily Brush Cleaner which you can find here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P208011&categoryId=B70  I clean my brushes with the brush cleaner at least once a week, if not daily, just depending on what kind of makeup I've used on any given day.  Monthly I give my brushes a "deep" cleaning by mixing baby shampoo and water in a bowl and cleaning them in the solution.  Always lay your brushes on a clean, flat surface (preferably a towel) to air dry so that they keep their shape.

Hope this helps!  :smileyhappy:

prettyinpa
Answered
(0) Hearts

I second the suggestion for Sephora Brand Professional Brushes, they are very good and long lasting. MAC also makes fabulous brushes, I have most of my brushes from them and they are extremely long lasting even with my somewhat manic cleaning regimen. 

For good brushes at a bargain price, Sonia Kashuk for Target brushes are a good value.

Hope this helps! 

6aad0801
Answered
(0) Hearts

It is costly but I think NARS makes fabulous makeup brushes.  The Yachiyo brush is awesome, and I love all their eye and brow brushes so much more than my MAC ones.

corrin99
Answered
(0) Hearts

I love to watch Pixiwoo on youtube, it's 2 sisters that are makeup artists.  The older sister took a long time to help develop a line of brushes that are high quality and very affordable.  I watch them use the brushes all the time they look awesome and I looked up the prices, they are very affordable.  You can buy them at ulta they're called Real Techniques, they have 3 sets with 3 to 5 brushes in each depending on size, one set is for foundation and concealer, another for eyes and the last for finishing, such as powder and blush.  I would recommend watching them work with these brushes, I want them.

Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 1 heart
  • 6 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • corrin99
    • prettyinpa
    • 6aad0801
    • ran8
    • sfisherx