Annabeauty15

lets talk 1 brand: laura mercier!

Hey all! I was wondering about Laura Mercier. What's the good, the bad and the ugly of the brand

H216

Re: lets talk 1 brand: laura mercier!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Has anyone tried her skincare? I was thinking of trying the renewal/repair serum or other LM skincare products, but wondering how they measure up to brands like claudalie or OH

End0ra

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

LOOOVE the tinted moisturizer.  I bought it on a whim after reading about how everyone was wearing it during Paris Fashion Week about two years ago and have been using it ever since.  I like it on its own and it's great to blend with foundations and BB creams that I've bought that aren't quite the right color on me when I get them home.

I tried a deluxe sample recently of the new foundation in Vanille.   Loved it, bought it right away.

One thing nobody seems to have mentioned yet is her lip pencils.  I bought one in True Red and it's a little miracle.  The color blends perfectly with a whole range of red tones.  I also use it as a lip primer, coloring in my entire lip with it.  It's got great staying power, and it's such a lovely color you can put clear or nude gloss right on top.  For me it makes replenishing lip color during the day incredibly easy.  The color stays put even after the lipstick on top has worn off, so a swipe of pretty much anything - balm, gloss, whatever - reactivates and freshens the color.

I've tried the Eye Basics liquid shadow in a neutral color (don't remember which one).  I wasn't so big on that.  I found it very wet and that it took a while to dry and settled into my lines.  But I admit that may have been my fault.  I might have been a bit heavy handed with it, and I'm not sure I ever put a primer under it, TBH.

ginger304

(0) Hearts

adore her tinted moisturizer..gives such a lovely voluminous glow cant...

sp2001

agreed, i mix it with matte foundations to give the perfect combination

xoxcrystal

(0) Hearts

i have a couple LM products and i can honestly say i like her brand altogether. aside from the original primer, i pretty much enjoy everything LM i have. i have the 2013 artist palette which is absolutely amazing. i also have to portfolio one from last year and i love using it. my favorite has to be her matte bronzer in highlight 01. it's such a perfect highlight and a little goes a long way. i use her radiance primer as well under my foundation and it still gives that natural glow.

TKLJ

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have a few LM products—actually, my first Sephora purchase once I landed a Real Career was an LM foundation. I think there are some really nice products, but others I've been displeased with.

GOOD

• Sheer Lip Colour in Healthy Lips (http://www.sephora.com/lip-colour-sheer-P109905?skuId=1030964): Almost a MLBB (really a "my lips but really, really better"). I'm not usually one for creamy lipsticks, but I do like this one. It's good for me to throw in my bag and not worry about reapplying. Because the color's so good, even if it wears off during the day, it doesn't look gross. And the sugar smell is amazing.
  • Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Amethyst and Sandglow (http://www.sephora.com/caviar-stick-eye-colour-P293605?skuId=1476670). The price is a bit outrageous, but I like that I can take these on short trips and not have to bring a shadow palette. They're also very easy to blend out, but I've found that if you blend them out too much, they just turn into a sheer color with some shimmer and sparkle, and it's hard to tell the colors apart.

OK

NOPE

• Baked Eye Colour in Black Karat (http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=BLACK%20KARAT&skuId=1323195&productId=P2851... This really made me sad, as I'd stalked this shadow for many months. I was included in a LM collection Sephora put together a few months ago, so it seemed like a good time to try it. Unfortunately, I only get streaky color whether I use it dry or wet. It's not very pigmented, and I can't see the gold or shimmer. It just sort of looks like a smudged black liner pencil. I'm going to keep playing with it, especially since we're moving into cooler months, but it's been a disappointment so far.
  • Secret Camouflage (http://www.sephora.com/secret-camouflage-P109931?skuId=1307388). I picked this up after seeing it featured in a Wayne Goss video, where it was touted as a miracle undereye concealer. Well, not for me! I have very dark circles (so dark that I color correct with an orange base before applying normal concealer), and even though I chose the right color palette, it didn't cover the darkness. I returned it.
  • Tinted Moisturizer (http://www.sephora.com/tinted-moisturizer-broad-spectrum-P109936?skuId=870337). I've received a few versions of this as samples, and none have worked. They don't do anything to my face—no color correction, no covering up like traditional foundation—and since I already use a sunscreen with a higher SPF, there's no need for me to even use this for sun protection.
  • Foundation. I don't recall which one, as it was three years ago, but I didn't end up liking the foundation I bought on my very first big Sephora trip. The SA recommended it to me, applied it on me, and I bought it and used it for several months, but I always felt it was too heavy and settled into my face oddly. I threw it out after a few months.

And I've yet to try Eye Basics in Wheat (http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=laura%20wheat&skuId=1098847&productId=P1099... that was also included in the LM Sephora set. I'm looking forward to trying it as an eye primer.

Shrewdle

(0) Hearts

I just got the Laura Mercier Highlighter/Lip Glace duo that Sephora had for $15. They're trial size, but I am really enjoying both. Love the highlighter - looks very natural and flattering. The gloss in Bare Baby is a nude peachy pink and is very wearable. It isn't too long lasting, but I like the fact that it feels very comfortable. It doesn't have any tingle or plumping, which I appreciate (in contrast to Buxom's super stingy glosses, which, to be honest, I still wear b/c they're pretty, but they "tingle" too much!)

etscore1

I finally got her Translucent Loose Setting Powder with a gift card and it arrived today. 

I've heard that her fan brush is the best option for application - anybody else use this product and have any other recommendations? I don't really want to buy the puff because it just seems too large to be able to pick up and disperse product evenly.

DiVWA

[ Edited ]

I don't think you necessarily need a fan brush. A powder brush that isn't super dense, to me, is about right. I just got a Kinoko Mushroom Brush (baby goat hair) that I use with mine but you don't need to use that. I use fan brushes myself for products that need a super light hand, like powder highlighters. Had you gotten LM brightening powder and were using it under your eyes, something like that, then the fan brush seems more appropriate.

BTW, if you haven't taken the sticker off the holes, don't do it. Just punch out some of the holes with a tack because if you completely unpeel the sticker, then you'll get too much powder out all the time. I learned about this by reading the most helpful reviews.

etscore1

Thanks for the tip! I haven't touched the sticker yet but I read the same reviews. Even just peeling back a few holes. A big reason I hadn't purchased the product yet was because I get the product all over myself whenever I go look at it at a Sephora store. I was second guessing it for a long time until I started reading those helpful hints! 

I currently use the NARS light reflecting pressed powder and use the pad that comes with it to pat on the product. That's the recommended application method to avoid moving previously applied products around, but in reality, I tend to apply it after foundation but before anything else, so there isn't that much to mess up underneath. 

Do you recommend synthetic or natural hair brushes? I never know which to pick... 

DiVWA

[ Edited ]

I probably sound wishy-washy, but actually, crfih (post below this one) is correct in using a puff for putting the powder on top of the concealer. And you're right to use the puff for your light reflecting powder. Wayne Goss says that a puff should be used instead of a brush all over the face, as a matter of fact, too. But..... I like to use a brush because my foundation (if I use at all) or products are pretty lightweight in coverage and I don't buff enough to shift things around. But a puff is more correct, actually, for most people. But since you're applying your powder after just foundation, if you do want to use a brush, then I recommend natural over synthetic. Synthetic is better for creams, liquids, and some pressed powders, but for loose powders, natural works better IMHO. That's if you don't use a puff.... Looks like most puffs go for $10-15 each but you can go cheaper with velour.

etscore1

Awesome! Thank you!

Sounds like we're similar - I use a light to medium coverage foundation about half the time and either a CC cream or a tinted moisturizer the other half. I very rarely use concealer so I'm not as worried there but that's still really valuable information for when I do! 

I get super indecisive about brushes so I might have to do some research on a good natural hair powder brush. This is probably a really dumb question, but are any natural hair brushes cruelty free? 

DiVWA

[ Edited ]

etscore, about natural brushes, I'm unsure about cruelty free. For example, Hakuhodo makes natural brushes. If you google "Hakuhodo cruelty free," you will see Temptalia discuss this in her blog. The jury is out on this. People say that even though the animals were supposedly not killed solely for their fur, that this cannot be believed, or that the economics perhaps encourages killing. Some people think that it's a contradiction to get a natural brush that is really cruelty free.

A replacement synthetic is Make Up For Ever's brushes, although Temptalia has in one of her later blogs about this brand that she found after much usage that the bristles seemed to have an oily aspect to them. (I'm going off memory--I know there was some issue like that.) Her earlier blog entries praise the MUFE powder brushes, so this later entry was a surprise to me. Perhaps MUFE would be a good synthetic one if you end up deciding that natural brushes aren't cruelty free.

I hope you find this answer to your post. I dislike how there is no indentation as you get further down into the weeds on this forum.

etscore1

Thanks for more great info! Cruelty free isn't a deal breaker for me necessarily, I just thought I'd ask because it might help me make a decision easier if there was. Not sure I can quite swallow the price tag of the Hakuhodo brushes... They seem amazing though! 

I might havd have to find something more midrange. 

DiVWA

Etscore, I only brought up Hakuhodo as an example. There are some less expensive natural brushes. But it seems that powder brushes are usually the most $ because they're the largest.

crflh

any powder brush for all over the face works well for me with this powder, i use natural for dusting all over the face. But for setting under the eyes i think the puff works best because you press it on to prevent creasing or settling into fine lines... you dont need to buy hers though. I bought a pack of 10 or so on ebay or amazon for really cheap just look for velour puffs/sponges.

How do you like the nars reflecting pressed powder? I was really intrested in this or the loose form

etscore1

Thanks for the suggestions! 

Overall I've been pretty satisfied with the NARS other than the fact that I feel like I go through it too quickly and once you start to get to the last bits, there's a weird plastic piece that prevents you from really using all the product. Some ladies on her recommended poking all the remaining powder loose and crushing it up, but it really doesn't come close to the consistency of the regular product and I ended up just trashing it.

Basically I feel like there might be room for something better even though there's nothing wrong with the actual product. If I found something better I would probably just throw the NARS in my purse. I may have to try the loose version though because I do think the product has been good, but it's really the only setting powder I've ever used. I was originally trying to decide between it and the LM and a NARS rep sold me on the NARS when I thought I had settled on the LM. Now, 8 months later I'm finally trying the original product I had planned to buy. 

Gosh, sorry for the long rambley post! 

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

I might be a little late, didn't read through all the posts. but i use the mufe large and med powder brush. can't think of the #s off the top

etscore1

(0) Hearts

No worries - thanks for the input! I was looking at the large MUFE brush - I think it's $55? 

I might have to run to Sephora on my lunch break and see what I can find. 

Someday (hopefully!) I'll be in a boat to really upgrade brushes to something that I can really plan to keep for a long time - anyone who knows me knows that I hate buying something that I already know I'll want to replace/upgrade in the future because it feels like I'm wasting my money. But with this I'll find something that will work for the time being until I can buy a bunch of matchy matchy brushes :smileyvery-happy:

aviscardi

yes thats one of them. I use that mostly to set. And il use the medium for loose powders like UD. the large brush i can fit into the LM container comfortable IMO. vs the UD which is too large for lol. so i use either brush for the LM

i really like them! the quality is amazing, i just got around to washing them on the weekend and there was no issue. i think i might get extras during the chic week etc in fall.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 21 hearts
  • 28 in conversation
    • ginger304
    • aviscardi
    • mrsbaine
    • crflh
    • TKLJ
    • gingerblack