drrragon

help! stuck in a rut!

My makeup is looking the same these days whether I'm going to work or play.  I do switch up the colors a little but it's usually something subdued for a more natural look.  I used to use a lot of smudgy black eyeliner but these days I've been leaning towards lining my eyes with dark colored eyeshadows and a damp brush (just lazy I guess).

What do you guys do when you want to switch it up?  Do you have any fun and quick makeup looks that you like to do just because?

poshified

Re: help! stuck in a rut!

Over the past year, I've learned to go light on the eye makeup. In the past, I've always been a heavy crease with an even heavier outer V colors type of girl. However, I've learned that it's making me look older than I really am and, at times, it makes me look harsh with all the dramatic makeup. So these days, I've been a one highlight color under browbone and one light color swept over the lid blended out with a brush (no transition color -- shocking!) in the crease. Then, I finish with a fine point liquid liner, 2-3 coats of mascara to emphasize my top and bottom lashes. It's quick and easy and it gives me a more fresh look appearance :smileyhappy:

drrragon

Thanks ladies for all the great suggestions!  Maybe tomorrow I'll try something really wacky and off the wall with a super bright color or two.  Or the 40s look that laurabt posted in a different thread.

I have a small amount of "eye real estate" so to speak, so unfortunately I can't do the super dramatic eye looks with tons of gorgeous blending.  Sounds like playing with eyeliner and mascara might help though.

beautylovingirl

I agree with @starletta8 using a pop of color can totally turn things around also try using other colors of mascara than black to bring out your eye color to give that little extra edge. Hope this helps!:smileyhappy:

drrragon

Yes!  I have been dying to find some reason to purchase that bright blue Anastasia mascara! :smileyvery-happy:

DesertRose0706

i like to keep my eye makeup simple in general, with usually one light neutral color on the lid, one slightly darker neutral color in the crease and either a dark neutral eyeshadow or eyeliner along the upper and lower lash line.  When I want something a little different, I will use a brightly colored eyeliner or eyeshadow on the upper and lower lashline for a fun but not over the top look!

mpolansky

Check out youtube! I used to wear my makeup the exact same, every single day. Didn't even think about doing anything fun. 

Now I try to make a "statement piece" out of a certain part of my face. Sometimes I want my eyes to have the attention, sometimes I focus on my lips with a bolder color.

I believe you're on a no-buy as well... so try using some products you have for things you never thought of. I've used highlighters as eyeshadows, lip products as cream blush (in a pinch, and it surprisingly worked well), blush or bronzer as an eyeshadow... Sometimes its fun to use things for what they aren't traditionally used as. But most of all, have fun :smileyhappy:

prosopon

Great suggestions mpolansky!  I too have been looking for inspiration on you tube and pinterest.  

To get out of a makeup rut I try to new combinations of colors on my lids or even try multiple layers/colors of lip products.  Sometimes the experiment looks good and sometimes it doesn't, so I plan these experiments on days that I am not working/doing something.  Sometimes a new combination becomes one of my "go to" looks.

mpolansky

Thank you! There are some AMAZING beauty gurus on youtube. When I'm bored with what I've been doing or am lacking inspiration, I always find myself there.

starletta8

I guess I'm the only one, but I just can't bring myself to watch YouTube beauty videos.  For a beauty addict, one would think I'd be watching them all the time. I'd rather to anything else. Same with haul videos- it's like getting a root canal to me.

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

It's all personal preference! I think you can draw inspiration from anywhere, whether it be a color of a shirt you have, or something you see on someone else. I really like some of the ideas the youtube beauty gurus have but doesn't mean you have to! All I was saying was look around you for inspiration, and go with whatever feels right to you :smileyhappy:

kenny

@starletta8 I'm with you. I'm not sure why but I don't really like to watch youtube beauty videos. I would much rather read or see pictures, but something about a video doesn't appeal to me much. Sometimes I watch videos because many do have great ideas and tips, but I usually skip through it

starletta8

Easiest way is to swap your eyeliner for a pop color!

When I feel like I'm in a rut, I tend to switch from a neutral to grey shadows.

ChicDabbler

Usually I go for a natural look or with 1 bright/bold color. On nonwork/fun days, I do a two colored eyeliner/shadow look (one color on inner and another on outer upper lid). I have enough different colors to keep it interesting.

tashalicious

i like a smokey eye with a shimmery color in the inner corners of my eyes.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • kenny
    • prosopon
    • drrragon
    • poshified
    • ChicDabbler
    • beautylovingirl