WhereYouStand

good makeup to conceal lack of sleep & excessive crying?

my adoptive mom died this weekend of a sudden heart attack she was in her mid fifties i was fortunate to have two moms in my life and unfortunate to lose both. I have the funeral to go to tomorrow & I am a complete mess and I want to look like I've got my wits together to be the strong one for the rest of my siblings I know I am the youngest but somebody needs to be strong & I have a feeling I am the only one who will be able to do it. because somebody has to. I want to wear some makeup for this to hide what I really am feeling especially I will be wearing the coach perfume my mother bought me this year she was my secret stanta gifter this year...I was too young when my biological mom and adoptive dad died to be wearing makeup to know what to wear when crying is happening in excessive bouts anybody have any suggestions besides skipping mascara and eye makeup? I have to be strong. I keep thinking about memoirs of a geisha and how she paints her face to hide her face. sorry this is a really messed up post.  but please help I owe it to her to look put enough together to show my family I am strong. I don't want them worrying about me when they need to concentrate on their own grief. 

lsp2005

Re: good makeup to conceal lack of sleep & excessive crying?

(0) Hearts

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. Primer, foundation, and a good setting spray. I would skip eye makeup in favor of sun glasses. I am so sorry. It is ok to cry and a natural part of the grieving process. 

ContentlyKayKay

(0) Hearts

I am SO sorry for your loss. Just know, crying doesn't mean you aren't strong. But I get what you mean. Make sure to drink lots of water and let yourself have your own private healing time. It's too much carry everyone else's grief on top of your own. I'm so sorry. Big E-hugs.

As far as your question, make sure to use an eye primer all around your lid. Smash box has an under eye primer but I just typically use my regular primer (I like nars). Maybe just do a top liner (not on the tightline) to open up your eyes and use waterproof mascara. When I was having a rough time last month, I also made sure to use my Bobbi Brown creamy concealer under my eyes to brighten me up (setting it with a light finishing power), and a little bit up highlighter on the inner corner of my eyes and along my upper cheek bones.

Make sure to have a few q-tips/tissue with you. Otherwise, it's ok to cry. No one will judge you for it, especially your family. Stay strong and my thoughts are with you through this tough time. (I know that's silly for a stranger to say, but really).

leaheastridge

(0) Hearts

Very sorry to hear about your loss.  I can identify with your problem due to the fact I am disabled.  I simply do not sleep much at all due to the pain and have horrible dark circles and puffy eyes from crying and lack of sleep. I am also looking for a good product to "hide" my circles and bags... have tried Garnier skin renew Anti-puff eye roller and didn't find it very helpful.  Even found that it left a layer of product that I can actually see/rub off.  So please know that you can lean on family and friends during this sad time.  Heaven has another Angel. :smileyhappy: My Mother passed in 2000 due to complications of MS and I miss her every day!! But I "feel" that she is watching over me and that helps deal with the loss too.  ((hugsss))

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

Oh my gosh, I know from personal experience that it gets repetitive, but I really am sorry about what happened and wanting to be the strong one is amazing enough after such a terrible event, I don't think that I could ever do that. Just take care of yourself. Drink lots of water, go through some skincare to reduce any redness and puffiness, then use makeup to cover the rest. you could use waterproof eye makeup, but I would just skip it. Cover anything you choose with concealer and powder, then maybe some blush to bring some life back. I really do wish you the best tomorrow, I know it will be tough but she is in a better place <3

anaa

So sorry for your loss.  I couldn't keep it together when my mother died, so I don't have any tips for you.  I do send heartfelt condolences though.

WhereYouStand

thanks everyone for their tips and well wishes and hugs

nebel

Oh you poor thing. I am so sorry for your loss.

Try to drink a lot of water.  You are probably dehydrated and puffy,  and haven't been focusing on eating or drinking  much during this hard time.  Drinking water will help you feel and look better. 

It is okay to cry.  I will be hoping for you to have light in your heart and your life.

camiah

(0) Hearts

I'm very sorry for your loss--losing someone you love is so painful. My thoughts are with you, and hope that you can find some comfort.

mafan

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mom.

First, let me just say that there's nothing wrong with people seeing how you're feeling.  They're going to expect you to be upset and would probably be really surprised if you seemed all stoic instead.  Let me say from sad experience that somehow it can be comforting to be worried about each other and to be sharing the grief.  It just seems like you don't feel so alone in your loss.

That said, I'd say keep things simple and waterproof.  You can wear mascara if you want as long as it's waterproof.  (I go for Tarte's Lights, Camera, Splashes!, but there are decent drugstore brands, too.) 

If you've been crying (and I'm sure you have), you might have puffy eyes, so an eye cream that helps with puffiness can help.  The ones with rollerballs are great; I like the Clinique All About Eyes one, but I know others like the Origins one, too.  You might also want a waterproof undereye concealer.  I tihnk maybe Tarte makes one.

Other than that, keep the makeup simple.  You want to look put together, but not like you're put together for a party.  So don't pile it on thinking you need to hide things.  You might want a blush to add color to your cheeks if you're looking washed out, and a nice but not too bold lip color.  Depending on your family there may be people who will be hugging and kissing you, so don't wear so much stuff that the makeup has a chance to transfer to others. 

In your purse keep a pocket pack of tissues (there will probably be boxes around, too), a small mirror, a comb/brush and whatever you have for your lips.  Just taking a moment away to touch things up can give you a bit of time for some deep breaths and to pull yourself together.

Hang in there!

WhereYouStand

(0) Hearts

Thanks 

DitzCore

(0) Hearts

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always tough.

For your undereyes I would suggest giving the YSL Radiant Touch. I use it when I haven't had much sleep and need a quick pick me up. It's a bit expensive, but it is very good for removing the undereye bags and discolouration.

Once again, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sending my best regards.

veronika23

[ Edited ]

I am so very sorry for your loss.  My sympathies to you and your family. :smileysad:

I'm sending you a big hug!

I'm going to try an answer your question... I'd probably wear liquid foundation over powder if you have any.  I think if you cry the tears might show up more and it might streak if you use powder. I know if I have finishing powder and cry it does get messy.  Waterproof mascara and waterproof liner could be alright just don't put any on your waterline.  As for lips wear something more neutral and pale... not too bold. If you use tissues you might rub your lipstick all over. You could also do just a tinted lip balm. Sorry if my answer sounds weird or something like that. It's not my intention. I'm just trying to give you an answer to your question with some details to my choices.

Sending you strength in this difficult time. <3

And remember... It's ok to cry.

SallieSunshine

Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry for your loss.  That's absolutely heart wrenching.  Please take care of yourself and let your family be there for you as much as you are being there for them.  There are many ways to be "strong."  You don't have to be the picture of serenity to be strong.

But that's not what you asked, so I am going to honor your question.  Other than the obvious (e.g., waterproof mascara), here are some things to consider:  a handkerchief to dab your tears, sunglasses (yes, even inside), a hat (especially one with a little veil that covers your eyes) if you're the hat-wearing type, a good friend who can keep an eye on you and swoop in to "rescue" you if you need to take a break, a handy bottle of water to sip, and lots of deep breathing.  You might want to craft and rehearse three or four responses for when people ask if there's anything they can do, tell you they're sorry, tell you how special your mom was to them, etc.  That way you don't have to think on the spot as much.  (I'm an introvert, and having my words already set helps immeasurably when I'm under stress.)

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.  Take care, and good luck.

missrmessner

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had similar feelings this year when my grandfather passed...that I needed to be the one to keep it together. Lisa Eldridge has an excellent video entitled "Meeting up with the ex" where she explains how to de-puff your face and what types of products to use to disguise the fact that you've been crying. I found it really helpful. You can watch it on her youtube channel or her website. 

calamityjane85

First off I'm sorry for your loss, its hard to say the right things so ill just give you a hug ( virtually) well there is a thread somewheres in here about this but mostly just stick to waterproof mascara, and dont worry, no one expects a grieving child to look nice (makeup wise) if you can remember try to use the Kleenex to dab and not smear your eyes and it will be ok.   Don't try to hold it in and be the strong one. Go ahead and let the feelings out now, we will be here to cheer you up when you are ready :smileyhappy: 

bfuller

Oh sweetie, I'm so very sorry for the passing of your adoptive mom!  :'(

My prayers go out to you & your family for strength and peace.

WhereYouStand

thanks

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 25 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • anaa
    • mafan
    • veronika23
    • leaheastridge
    • nebel