djbeauty

foundation

(0) Hearts

I have dry mature skin and am wondering if I can or should wear a foundation that is not really for dry skin, one that stays put for 12 hours or so like Estee Lauder Double Wear or do you have some other suggestion?  Have tried Bobbi Brown as well and am kinda tired of it and want something different that does not settle into my lines or look dry

CuriousCannibal

Re: foundation

(0) Hearts

You definitely can. People are always surprised when I pick out matte foundations instead of hydrating ones, because I have extremely dry skin, but if you properly moisturize and prime your skin you'll be fine. Dewy/moisturizing ones just don't last long on me, and I hate the finish.

I've found that the best product, for me, that works regardless of the foundation i'm using is- Kat Von D's rehab priming elixir. This stuff is MAGIC in a bottle. It's moisturizing without being TOO moisturizing, practically hides my pores, makes my foundation last longer, and it doesn't make me break out.

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

I have combination mature skin. I do like to wear a full coverage foundation when I go out since they tend to be low maintenance. I follow my normal skin routine before applying my foundation.

You DON'T want to over moisturize the skin to compensate, the foundation will just get slippery!

The BEST solution for me is to use MAC Fix +. It isn't a finishing glue-like setting spray like Urban Decay, ect. And, it isn't anything like the ripoff plain mineral water spritz stuff.

MAC Fix + is actually minimally hydrating. It softens the look of dry foundation or if you've over powered your face & gives real hydration that doesn't evaporate like mineral water sprays. So, it can act as a "corrector" if you've applied too much setting powder to give your skin back a more natural look.

I don't spray it directly on my face because I don't want the mist in my hair & on my eye make-up. I take a VERY DENSE soft natural hair brush, spritz the MAC Fix+, then STIPPLE/BOUNCE the brush on top of my foundation.

DON'T SWIRL or you'll move your foundation around! Full coverage foundation dry/set rather quickly & are made to "stick" to your skin where you place the product.

I never tried MAC Fix + in the past because I felt ripped off by other spritz sprays. They sell two sizes. If you don't like it, return it! 

jaha8005

(0) Hearts

I am 51 and used Double Wear for years until it became too drying on my skin. I have been using MAC Pro Longwear foundation and I can tell you it is not drying on my skin, and wears ALL day. 

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]

A hydrating foundation would be better for you. Foundations that are meant to stay put for hours are drying and usually are to control oil. There are ways to keep foundation on longer too, primer first, and finish with a setting spray like Urban Decay - I used UD during an unusual windy beach wedding and through the night and everything stayed put.

As for liquid foundations, bareMinerals (the liquid is new), Smashbox, Lancome Teint Miracle, Estee Lauder Invisible Fluid, philosophy - just at Ulta for now

These wont look dry, as some are water-based and won't accentuate flaws.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 5 in conversation
    • TrysBeautyItems
    • jaha8005
    • djbeauty
    • beauty4ashes
    • CuriousCannibal