gellar

experimenting with new makeup ideas

I am very new to highlighters and quite frankly have used the same makeup and application technique's forever. (mostly due to budget) In a great place now and I have recently started experimenting with nicers brands.....new fave is Smashbox BB cream. I have seen posted that highlighters go "at the highest part of cheekbone" and that blush goes on the "apple of the cheek" I know I am probably making it more difficult than neccessary :smileywink: but isn't that the same spot? Or does the highlighter go above the blush? Which do you apply first? Do you blend these together?

serioustree

Re: experimenting with new makeup ideas

oooOOOoo

SUCH VALUABLE INFORMATION!!

thanks for your contribution everyone!

lolo01

(0) Hearts

Your profile pic looks fab so I wouldn't worry too much :smileywink:

lolo01

(0) Hearts

Your welcome annonymous1 it was so easy for me to pick up the wonderful contouring method without being too confused :smileyhappy:

annonymous1

i've been doing the blush & bronzer correctly but wow i didnt know you could use all these things lol 

lolo01

One more thing Nars Albatross is really one of the best highlighters :smileyhappy:

sephoralovex

(0) Hearts

I second that! LOVE Nars Albatross!!

lolo01

Screenshot_2013-05-16-07-11-37-1.jpeg

(Photo courtesy of Pintrest/Birchbox)

I used this guide when I first started experimenting with contouring. The only thing on here I add is highlight my temple and above my brows. If your forehead is not shiny you can highlight there also.  (the most important diff for me was using a matte bronzer vs a shimmery one)..

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

annonymous1

Omg thank you for this picture! 

wingatprsct

Thanks, lylysa!  That is an amazing tutorial!  I have been experimenting lately on highlighting.  I have always contoured a little under the cheekbones and jawline, but just recently found a highlighting powder that I love, Nars Albatross.  My face is oval but my cheeks are round and full.  I have always applied my blush like example #1 to create a slimmer face and contoured to create a hollow in my cheeks.  I constantly hear about applying on the apple of my cheeks and it just makes me look like a clown!  So glad to know I've been doing it right all along.

Great advice!

MizzyyzziM

I love this image of where to contour, bronze, blush and highlight. Its the best I've seen!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Thanks, hun! When I first put it together I had no idea that I would link/reference it to so many users here in the forum!

Glad it can help you and so many others out!

lylysa

Here's a handy dandy photo diagram of basic highlighting/contouring, bronzer, and blush techniques and application tips.

bbh.jpg

The lime green portions show general highlighting areas. Though there's no need to highlight ALL portions, the main area highlighted or focused on the the under the eye/orbital bone/upper cheek bone portion. Take a feel on your face, the highest portion of your cheek bone leading almost to the socket is where highlighter is applied. It can also be applied to the areas above the brow (as the brow ridge is a prevelant portion of our facial structure as well as the bridge of the nose to give a more slim and streamlined appearance. It can also be applied to the utmost prevalent portion of your jawbone.

The light pink areas are detailed highlighting spots. The inner and outer corners of the eyes are usually done with highlighting or brightening pencils or eye shadow, along with underneath the brow itself. This area is always detailed in eye shadow tutorials to have the lightest/highlighter shade applied. The cupid's bow at the lips is sometimes highlighted with a pale pink, nude, or shimmery pencil or tint (normally white, champagne, or sable/gold) depending on skin tone to emphasize the shape of the lips. The center of the lips is highlighted by using gloss solely in the center of the bottom lip where lips are usually the fullest and it gives a more subtle and realistic full pout than just glossing all over. Shimmery powder can also be tapped on the center of lips to highlight.

Areas outlined in red are general blush application. You can see there is a #1 and a #2 shown. #1 outlines using blush more on the sides of the face rather than bringing it to the center/apples of the cheeks. This is good for rounder faces to appear more angular and for people who don't want color so focused or localized in the center of the face. #2 is the basic rule of thumb for blush, the apples of the cheeks or the fullest is where blush is swept into an upward motion trailing to the sides of the face/almost the temples.

The brown areas dotted are where contouring take place and also bronzing. Traditionally a "3" along the side of the face is formed, sweeping your contouring shade or bronzer from the hairline, down the sides of your face, to the hollows of the cheekbones, down to the jawline, sweeping slightly under the jaw to the neck. The contour can also be used on the sides of the nose like an "11" to add more dimension to the nose and complimenting any highlighting that has taken place.

To understand highlighting and contouring is to understand the basics and principles of art in terms of light and shadow. You learn the dimensions of your face and see what light hits first (which is where highlighting is applied) and where shadow falls (which is played up with contouring). The things you highlight are what you bring more to the light and more to the forefront, what you contour and shadow down falls further back to the eye giving more structure. You're essentially playing up what the eye sees naturally.

Contouring is different from bronzing in the sense that bronzing allows for more of a range in finishes from light shimmers, to satin, to matte, while contouring is generally done with matte shades as to appear more realistic to the eye. The areas in which you contour can be where you apply bronzer, but know that if your bronzer has a lot of shimmer you may not want to use it to strongly contour features.

Highlighting is a little more free in terms of finishes used, the decision for satin, shimmer, or dewy finishes is determined by where you intend to highlight. Avoid heavily glittered products as this will look artificial and too reflective on skin for a realistic look. If your skin is oily, avoid highlighters with a lot of pearl and maybe don't highlight as many areas.

There's an array of powder, cream, stick, loose, pressed, and liquid options for highlighting and contouring on the market so it's nice to play around.

For the lightest application, use a fan or stippling brush for the softest application if you're worried about applying product too heavy handed.

Also, you can dust down what you applied with a bit of translucent powder or sweep over the area with a clean brush to tone down application as well.

gellar

(0) Hearts

OMG.....those were both extremely helpful!!!!! I really appreciate the help!! Thanks

tempestteapot

(0) Hearts

I just got my makeup done at Sephora and the lady helping me talked me through this.

The highlighter goes above the blush, on the actual cheek bone. The blush goes below on the apple of the cheek.

It doesn't really matter which you apply first, but the woman who did my makeup put the highlighter on first.

Do not blend the two together.

Hope this helps!

babybear04

You're not making it more diffuclt than necessary at all! Highlighers are tricky--if not done right, they can make you look like a "disco ball" or just plain out weird.  

First of all, there is definitely a difference between the apples of the cheeks and the highest part of the cheekbone. The apples of the cheeks are the thick part of your cheeks that, when you smile, get bigger.  It's closest to your nose and the dimples created when you smile.  Remember when grandma always "pinched your cheeks" when she was happy to see you? This is the area I'm referring to. I found an image online for you to reference (hopefully you can see it). #4 is the apples of the cheek.

Now, onto the cheekbone.  In the image, the cheekbone is #2.  It's located below your eye.

As for application, there are many different methods.  But first and foremost, highlighter is aways applied above the blush, or above the apples of your cheeks. A lot of people have different preferences as to which order to apply everything, but I usually wait to apply highligher until the very end of application, or right before blush (which is also near the end of my makeup routine.  For example, I'll do my foundation, then go to the eyes, then back to the face with bronzer, then blush then highlighter (or highligher then blush, it's really up to you)

The key to successful highlighting is to use a light hand, therefore don't apply too much--just a light dusting is all you need!  Also, look for highlighters that have a light sheen to them versus anything glittery/sparkly...if you catch my drift? Sometimes things with a little too much sparkle can make the highlighting appearance very un-natural.

Lastly, I sometimes will take a big fluffy brush and blend everything out so it's not too obvious and looks more natural.

Hope this helps and best of luck! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

EDIT: Crap, it won't let me attach the picture I was referring to.  So here's the link...hopefully you can view it now!

http://tjmbennett.xanga.com/720855512/ace-your-face-pt2-contouring/

mangosong

(0) Hearts

Super helpful, thanks so much!

gellar

(0) Hearts

Wow, what a GREAT link that was!!! That spells it out as simply as I needed it to!! Thanks for your help and time!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 38 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • mangosong
    • sephoralovex
    • annonymous1
    • lylysa
    • babybear04
    • MizzyyzziM