dollface131313

contouring for the pale

so i'm very pale skinned you can check my profile picture to see this lol

i want to try contouring but most of the videos use such dark colors thats not going to work for my skin . any tips products or palettes i can check out ?

i just dont want to look yellow or orange , thanks!

dollface131313

Re: contouring for the pale

(0) Hearts

thanks for all the suggestions i have a lot of swatching to do this weekend!

ladymeag

Francois Nars has suggested Ashes to Ashes as a contouring shade for pale people. I actually use matte, taupe-y eyeshadows as contour and blush shades. Urban Decay's Laced? Makes a beautiful blush for very fair skin. Other Urban Decay colors in my palette for this: Virgin (highlight,) Tease (contour-y blush,) and Naked (contour.) I do like NARS Laguna during the summer but you have to use a very, very light hand and I'm not sure I'll ever hit pan on my mini. (I'm lighter than NARS Siberia, 1Y01 in Sephora's system, MAC NC5-NC10.) 

daeidre

(0) Hearts

Hmm, interesting suggestion on Ashes to Ashes. I would think that would show up way too glowy. It would be a great tone though! I quite like MAC Wedge eyeshadow (or Omega, depending on what best quits your undertones), or for a cream product, Illamasqua Hollow.

AmiraHall

(0) Hearts

not sure if its been mentioned yet but I like MACs pro sculpting powders in bone beige and sculpt...I get them online

caperella

(0) Hearts

I'm really pale (NW10) and these are what I use for contouring. Love them!

WittyW

You've received so many great suggestions already! As a pale girl myself I know how challenging contouring can be. Like others have already mentioned, NYX Taupe blush and Kevyn Aucoin's Sculpting Powder are both great. When I want even more subtle definition, I use Malt eyeshadow by MAC. Love, love, love that shadow to define my cheekbones on minimal makeup days.

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

I am going to have to try that!

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

The best one I've found for me is actually Em Cosmetics highlight/contour stick (chiaroscuro) in fair.  The contour is a dark almost gray brown so it really can look like shadowing.  It's also very easy to use.

I've tried most all of the commonly recommended ones--Hoola, Too Faced Milk Chocolate, Park Avenue Princess, and they all just looked so warm brown and muddy on me, like I'd gotten dirt on my face or something.  I just couldn't get the coloring to look natural no matter how light a hand I used.

The one I still want to try myself is the Kevin Aucoin.

IAmLadyLiterary

(0) Hearts

I am casper pale and my favourite bronzer of all time is Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil, it is not orange at all and it gives enough warmth and colour that I can actually contour but not too much that I am orange or muddy at all.  I love it!  My best advice is to go to sephora without bronzer and have them try one on each cheek and give you contour techniques and figure which one works best with your skin. 

Ava2

I recommend the Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder from the Body Shop. Both Hoola and Too Faced Milk Chocolate were too intense for my fair skin. I tried a number of ways to apply them, but they were very noticeable on my skin. The Body Shop bronzer doesn't contain any sparkle, it's not orange, it's semi- matt, has no smell, and it won't make your skin look muddy. Also you don't have to use a light hand because it's a subtle color. It would take a lot to overdo it. 

IMG-20140219-00727.jpg

The top is a heavy swatch. IMG-20140219-00719.jpg

FuturePedNP

I use Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil matte bronzer and I consider myself pretty fair. At first I was afraid it was going to appear to orange, and it did. But, after I played with it.... it looks marvelous and I use it every single day. It's very buildable and soooo soft and blendable! Truly amazing!

gem5136

(0) Hearts

The absolute best contour for us pale folks is the Kevin Aucoin sculpting powder. It is pricey but so worth it. Hoola and Park Avenue princess do the job but tend to go muddy on me. The sculpting powder looks like a perfect shadow. 

britter77

(0) Hearts

You should try Nars' Douceur blush, it's a nice pinky brown. It leans more brow than pink, so I think it's worth trying out.

andyhtrieu

Try Benefit Hoola bronzer. It's a nice neutral shade. I don't think it will show up orange or too dark on your skin. 

dollface131313

hoola actually looks perfect the word bronzer usually scares me but that looks much lighter thank you!

Beehavnbeauty

Be careful with Hoola, that's why it's my honorable mention.  When I'm going for a glam look, i grab hoola, because if you're as pale as your picture and as I am, hoola is dark and you can easily get carried away.  Just a suggestion from one fair skin gal to another :-)

Teresaanne92

Agreed! I actually have hoolah and don't use it at all (i only did maybe twice?) it just didn't really work for me and I'm pretty light skinned myself. I think the key with pale skin is a light hand and blend, blend, blend. The tone of hoolah on my skin was just not pretty at all. Too Faced makes really great bronzers that I love, and I actually have Dallas by Benefit and use that one way more then Hoolah. But Too Faced are my go-tos. Chocolate Soleil is amazing! :smileyhappy:

Beehavnbeauty

(0) Hearts

If you're starting out contouring I would definitely suggest a powder vs cream/liquid product.  Start off light handed then add as you see fit (or up to the point you don't look like a drag or a clown lol).  When I first starting contouring bronzers were very intimidating but then I learned that my fair skin couldn't handle anything orange or muddy looking and that contouring is primarily all about blending.  My top 3 contouring powders are NYC in sunny, Too Faced in Milk Chocolate and Tarte's Park Ave Princess (Matte version) oh and Benefit's Hoola as honorable mention.  Make sure to use a brush that can concentrate the product precisely where the contour needs to be such as Real Techniques contouring brush or even their setting brush.  The brush options are endless.  Good luck and have fun with it! :-)

dollface131313

(0) Hearts

i have a angled blush brush i was using for the line and the tarte bamboo foundation brush for blending .

i think i was trying to take on to much the day i did highlighting and contouring and the highlight color had chunks of glitter i must have missed it was kind of a disaster lol 

Beehavnbeauty

(0) Hearts

Awww, we all have those disaster moments!  For highlighting, I love Mac Adored, elf baked blushes, fav is pinktastic (altho they are labeled as blushes, I use them as highlighters) and the balm's mary-lou-manizer.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 19 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • tracygirl64
    • swanbeauty
    • ladymeag
    • neko333
    • dollface131313