lilahtov

Your Thoughts on Ridiculously Expensive Makeup

Hi ladies,

I'm just wondering what everyone's stance is on über-expensive makeup. (ByTerry, La Mer, La Prairie, Cle de Peau, Tom Ford, etc...I'm lookin' at you!) Is it worth it, or just plain bonkers?

I know, for instance, that there are many like me who have shelled out more than $30 or even $40 on a lipstick--but more than $50? That seems a little cray cray. Then again, there are people who collect the Tom Ford lippies and Cle de Peau concealers and the like.

To be honest, what sparked this thread was one of my favorite beauty bloggers, Amelia Liana's love for ByTerry's Terrybly Densiliss foundation. This is a $115 base we're talking about, ladies!! I am all for splurging on skincare and face products (since I care too much about my skin and how it looks) but...I have Guerlain foundation and excuse me, but I think $59 for foundation is pretty steep when some people rave about some drugstore ones that are less than ten bucks!

So, my question to you is...how much is too much??

nikki

Re: Your Thoughts on Ridiculously Expensive Makeup

I want everything in your pictures. I want to be your shopping buddy.

KateLovesYSL

LOL Shopping in Canada is super boring. I only have fun when we go to Florida. Its our tradition now to do a pre trip and post trip stop in Florida to visit friends and get our shopping done. We will buy extra luggage to bring our purchases home mainly cause my BF buys soo much clothes form Sak's off Fifth,Columbia Store etc. Whereas, I'll limit my purchases to a few select items that I can't resist.

Nikki--what state are you in? I'd love to go shopping with you if I'm ever visiting there! 

nikki

Missouri, which also super boring, but we do have some good outlets and stores in the cities. 

I am still dying over how fabulous those boots are. Did you get them at Sak's off Fifth? Because I might need to go since I bet a lot of boots are marked down because of the upcoming spring season. 

melisa16

Wow, I never thought I would see someone on BT from Missouri. I agree it's boring here!

KateLovesYSL

@ nikki--I purchased these at NM Last Call in Sawgrass Mills. My mouth dropped when I saw that all the boots that were already on sale were an additional 50% off. There were soo many other beautiful boots there but I had to control my self. I find that that particular outlet tends to have incredible deals. Last year, I got a beautiful pair of brown Chloe boots (http://www.lyst.com/shoes/chloe-flat-leather-boots-brown/) for only $120 there (reg $900).

nikki

(0) Hearts

I need to find the closest Last Call!

Natalian

wow, these Tom Ford lipsticks set are  OMG, WOW
Do you like all the colors, and how it compare with other brand such as Guerlian, Chanel, Dior , or YSL etc
OMG, Love these Tom Ford

KateLovesYSL

I love all the colours, I listed the ones in the box on the Feb Haul page if you are wondering what the names are. I don't own Gurerlain, Chanel or Dior make up at at...lol I'm afraid I will fall in love with them and that will just not be good for trying to keep some sort of self restraint. 

YSL and Tom Ford are the only brands I use for lippies. I do have some Nars lip pencils from the lip coffret set for days when I want to have more matte looks and a few of various brands because I always love the give me lip and give me more lip sets but I end up giving them all away to my daughters and step daughters.

I prefer the smell of the YSL though as it reminds me of somewhere tropical and makes me feel happy. Both formulas are long lasting and moisturizing.

ghkim

drooooooool. 

kate, i'm curious, do you find that there is a lot of overlap with the TF lipstick shades in the collection? also, with so many lipsticks do you ever actually finish one? i've never seen the end of a lipstick myself, not even a mini.

sace021

I've over halfway finished several of my YSL and Tom Ford lipsticks because they tend to be my most reached for ones.  I have finished many tubes of lipstick in the past, mostly in favorite nude colors but I have never finished a red.  So I try to be more careful about how many reds I buy even though I love them!

KateLovesYSL

I only started to wear nudes recently and find I do reach for them quite often. I love a bold lip; not many wear bold colours to the office but I make sure it looks classy and not party like. I tend to wear pinks and I love a red lip. 

My favourite YSL nude lipstick  is # 3 (ultimate beige).

And as for Tom Ford private blends I love Casbalanca, Pink Dusk, Indian Rose for MLBB. I love Crimson Noir, Wild Ginger, Violet Fatale, Flamingo to perk up these long grey winters we have up here.

KateLovesYSL

No, I find that all the Tom Ford colours are beautiful. I did select my own colours ensuring that there is enough of a difference on my lips to be worthwhile to purchase at that price point and compared them to what I had in YSL so that they aren't too similar.

At least 6 of my YSLs that I purchased last spring are at the halfway point . I have repurchased YSL glossy stain in #27 (Peche Cerra Cola). I just bought the new Volupte Glosses pictured at the end of Dec and I will be repurchasing a few of those because I like them soo much and use them often (the first 3 in the pic).

sace021

I'm drooling over your display box of the Tom Ford lipsticks!  So gorgeous and you picked great colors!  They are by far my favorites.

beethousand

I go through YSLs quickly as well. Not sure if it has something to do with the formulas, or I just like my YSL lipsticks so much that I use them more than others!

ghkim

oh i didn't realize you could select your own TF lipstick shades for the set! hubbie, if you are reading this, that would make a great anniversary present!! i sometimes wonder if he reads any of my posts because he knows i'm always here, but i doubt it.

i clearly need to apply lipstick more often. in fact, you have inspired me to go put some on right now even though i am otherwise bare faced and about to hop into the shower.

kimchikween

@ghkim - just tell your hubbie to PM any of us ladies, and we'll direct him on the right path  :smileytongue:

KateLovesYSL

The sets that are sold online are premade with certain colours. However, if your store has the boxes, you are allowed to personalize them with your choices. I got mine at NM. 

I hope he buys you the set for your anniversary!

spoiledbrat

me thinks KateLovesYSL needs to join some TSB's and I will volunteer to take the number after hers! :smileyvery-happy:

SydBristow

I am willing to pay what is needed for the skincare items that work for me. I also have some limitations in that I want cruelty-free and try to stay away from parabens, etc. so sometimes that narrows the fields a bit.  I don't automatically gravitate towards higher dollar items (what gal doesn't like a bargain?) but I don't shy away if I've tried a sample and it it really works.

With my makeup, I wouldn't mind paying more but I change my mind so often about what colors I'm interested in, if I want lip gloss or lipstick, etc. It would be hard to justify a $50 lipstick when I have a handful of $20 ones that I had to have, but haven't even tried yet. If I found THE perfect lip color, that is a match to my natural and looks completely natural. I would buy it (given my other parameters) probably irregardless of cost because I would use it a lot.

anaa

Oftentimes the cruelty free, paraben free stuff is more expensive Syd.

lilahtov

True, anaa! My friend, for instance, has a gluten sensitivity and her groceries always cost more than mine. I find stuff like this so interesting because so many people now (NOT saying you're one of these, Syd!!) look for gluten-free, cruelty-free, vegan, whatever certifications on their food and cosmetics, just to show it off. Or they do it because it makes them feel good about themselves, or because they want to lose weight. Companies not only DO incur extra expenses in producing these items, but they KNOW that they have a guaranteed customer base, so they jack up the prices.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 195 replies
  • 758 hearts
  • 91 in conversation
    • nikki
    • sephoramusthave
    • killahbabe
    • anaa
    • spoiledbrat
    • ashhay