lilahtov

Your Thoughts on Ridiculously Expensive Makeup

Hi ladies,

I'm just wondering what everyone's stance is on über-expensive makeup. (ByTerry, La Mer, La Prairie, Cle de Peau, Tom Ford, etc...I'm lookin' at you!) Is it worth it, or just plain bonkers?

I know, for instance, that there are many like me who have shelled out more than $30 or even $40 on a lipstick--but more than $50? That seems a little cray cray. Then again, there are people who collect the Tom Ford lippies and Cle de Peau concealers and the like.

To be honest, what sparked this thread was one of my favorite beauty bloggers, Amelia Liana's love for ByTerry's Terrybly Densiliss foundation. This is a $115 base we're talking about, ladies!! I am all for splurging on skincare and face products (since I care too much about my skin and how it looks) but...I have Guerlain foundation and excuse me, but I think $59 for foundation is pretty steep when some people rave about some drugstore ones that are less than ten bucks!

So, my question to you is...how much is too much??

lilahtov

Re: Your Thoughts on Ridiculously Expensive Makeup

(0) Hearts

Divwa, you read that in February's Allure because I DID TOO! :smileyvery-happy:

evno

That is so true! I definitely have higher standards for products that are sitting closer to my skin, like skincare, foundation, and concealer, which makes me venture into the higher price range. I analyze the ingredients, the cost per ounce, online reviews, samples, etc., but with eyeliner or eyeshadow, heck, I just pick one up from Walgreens. 

evno

My price limits: $50 for foundation/skincare, $30 for lipstick (besides Givenchy, my one weakness), and basically $40 for every other individual item. I try to stay below all those limits, but sometimes I splurge, only if I've thoroughly tested it and it's HG.

I do agree with everyone who said that whatever works, works. I use drugstore acne creams and luxe moisturizers, but if either of them was taken away, I'd cry equally. However, I do think that the big difference between drugstore and department store brands is the packaging. I've definitely had more leaking or clogging products in the lower price range. I usually cheat by using my higher end products' packaging for my lower end products. :smileytongue:

linda711

I personally haven't spent more than $50.00 on a single lipstick or $100.00 on one single beauty product, and can't imagine myself spending more than that.  I love good quality high end brands, but I also love perusing the beauty section at Walgreens too!  I definitely spend more on skin care than makeup by far.

kristallovesdogs

I'm a complete makeup addict and personally do not discriminate in my makeup choices.  ha ha  I have NYX glosses that are in a place of honor right next to $30 YSL and Dior glosses.  I spend money on product that I like and that works as advertised for me, and I have no shame in returning product that doesn't live up to its promises.  As a result I have a Rimmel foundation and a Guerlain foundation that I love equally, and yet I've also returned both Maybelline and YSL foundations.   Sadly, the lip balm that works best for me is Fresh.  At $25 a pop those are expensive chapsticks.  But they work miracles for my lips so I splurge on several at a time and keep them everywhere.  All that said, I *did* buy the Guerlain Rouge G in "Garance" when they first came out a couple years ago.  But I honestly don't think I paid $50 for it!  If I did, I was insane.  I think it was around $38 when it came out, because Dior was under $30 and in the last couple years everything's gone up by about $5 each. 

I'm the same with skincare - not a label w**re.  I use a mix of Algenist, Kinerase, and $6 Garnier moisturizer, and my skin looks better than it has in years.  :smileyhappy:  I say spend your money wisely, and that means spending it on what works for you, not on what's cheapest, or just because an actress raves about wearing it every time she takes an airplane ride. 

kellsmuneoka

Okay, I'm a sucker for pretty packaging. Those Tom Ford and YSL lippies call my name all the time. I do buy them, but they can't be a similar color to something I already have that's great and cheaper. I do returns a lot because I need to try it out to see if it's worth the price esp. for face products. You have to want it for the product not the name.tumblr_lvcy3wVHwH1qldt8eo1_500.gif

tashalicious

the most i'm willing to spend on skincare is $60, everything else i buy has to cost less than that.

sace021

I love me some Tom Ford lippies!!!  I think if you do a cost analysis of how much something costs vs. how much you actually use it, you have your answer.  If you use every last bit of an expensive, favorite lipstick but only use a drugstore one once or twice and then abandon it to your makeup black hole drawer, you've probably come out ahead with the more expensive one.  That's how I justify it anyways!

kariyava

I have never bought one of those super-high end products, and fortunately I don't have the super-high end stores here that sell them, so I am not often tempted.  I am happy with the selection and quality of products that I have found at Sephora, so although sometimes I wonder if the the more expensive products are worth it, I don't think I"ll ever feel the need to really find out.

wendyomgwar

I'm not sure where I stand on this, because while I've bought a YSL lippie and own some Hourglass as well I haven't really splurged on anything else. I have great skin, and I want to keep it that way for as long as I can so I'd rather spend a lot of money on skincare than foundation. I really want to buy Tom Ford, Burberry, etc but right now I don't have that much of money to spend on make up that's THAT high end, or I could buy very little and have a little higher end stuff. So while I think it's ridiculous how much they cost... I'm willing to spend it soooo meeeerp. 

wendyomgwar

I also don't have any super high end counters around me!! So that probably helps me not to buy any of that stuff :smileyvery-happy:

killahbabe

[ Edited ]

I will not hesitate to splurge on skincare and foundation. I've just started getting into lipsticks and I would trade my first born for a gorgeous Tom Ford set of lippies. I'm not rich, by any means, by makeup and skin care are indulges for me that I'm willing to spend whatever on (and I have the full support of my husband on this).

I'm a baller on budget for most of the things I buy in day to day life. Have any of you seen my VS hauls?! Today I got a tank top and two pairs of undies, $45 worth of stuff (nothing on sale or clearance by the way), for $5.34! Oh, and I got a Secret Reward card with that worth at least $10. So at the very LEAST Victoria's Secret just PAID me $4.66 to shop. I can do that shiz ALL.DAY.LONG.

wendyomgwar

TEACH US ALL!

rjamlt

[ Edited ]

and i thought i did good bargain shopping! teach me your ways!

I agree, my love is beauty stuff, my hubby is an apple fan boy. We figure if the bills are paid, savings added too, and the kids are all spoiled but not too spoiled its all up for grabs. 

ireneh

TEACH ME YOUR WAAAAAAYS

annekevdb

I think there is diminishing returns at some point. A $35 dollar lipstick is probably going to offer something that a $10 lipstick doesn't (but we all know there are awesome drugstore brands out there). But I have a hard time believing the costs on some of these very high end brands and that what they offer is so much better. Its a bit like the difference between paying $8 for a t-shirt from Target (serviceable, won't last forever), $40 for a t-shirt from j.crew (better quality fabric, better construction - will last several years), and paying $300 for a t-shirt (I've looked at them, nothing seems to justify the cost). Or $100, $400, vs $2000 for a purse. At some point you aren't paying for actual quality in the product anymore - you are paying for something that is "exclusive" or sells in high end  stores, or for a designer name, or you are paying for expensive marketing. 

joeanne

Good point!

LaiceeB18

If there was a special event (like wedding only special and hey that is not in the near future) I could justify. But til then there is definitely a limit for me.

ladymeag

I'm willing to spend what it takes, within reason, for a holy grail product. However, I haven't found anything in the ridiculously-high-end that I must have. Ellis Faas foundation is as close as I get - they don't make a shade light enough for me but if they did, I'd be in line for those $90 bottles of foundation without hesitation, it's a dream on the skin. I've found that a lot of really high-end makeup has ingredients we wouldn't accept in lower-end products (parabens, -cones, heavy fragrances) and honestly wonder why that is. 

I have no judgment for folks who have tested out a bunch of products and find that Very Expensive Brand X works best for them - I do have judgment for the folks who buy it because Tom Ford plastered his name on it with no regard for quality and value. If you spend $5k on a suit, it better be a nice one - if I can't tell you didn't get it at Men's Warehouse, I'm going to side-eye your decision to spend that kind of money. (Likewise, that's the great thing about bargain shopping - finding a cheaper item that has the quality and style hallmarks of a more expensive product. I'm going to side-eye your $2 lipstick if it looks on you like it came from a Halloween makeup kit.) 

tracygirl64

ladymeag, you always have very interesting and informative things to say. I enjoy your posts/comments. :smileyhappy: "I've found that a lot of really high-end makeup has ingredients we wouldn't accept in lower-end products (parabens, -cones, heavy fragrances) and honestly wonder why that is." I completely agree with you on this as well. Now...you have me curious about Ellis Faas foundation...going to google it now. lol. Thanks again!

ladymeag

[ Edited ]

Aw, thanks. Sephora carries a few shades of the Ellis Faas foundation and their customer service will send you samples if you write to them to help you find a shade match. http://www.sephora.com/skin-veil-foundation-spf-15-P375106

The ingredients on high-end products completely baffles me. There are mid-range lines with great ingredients and then you move up into the high end and suddenly you're battling parabens and fragrances again. Maybe it's because they figure that high-end customers aren't going to be package-readers. :smileytongue: 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 195 replies
  • 759 hearts
  • 91 in conversation
    • nikki
    • sephoramusthave
    • killahbabe
    • anaa
    • spoiledbrat
    • ashhay