Answer
lovegabydelgado
Youngster Makeup

I am almost 13 and I have just recently began wearing makeup. All I wear as of now is brown eyeliner on the top lash line and baby lips balm. I want your opinions on what makeup I should wear. I have long straight light brown hair and mostly golden brown hazel eyes. I have a medium light skin tone and quite a few freckles. I want a god eyeliner and maybe a couple eye shadows primarily but am open to suggestions for other products too. I don't want any heavy coverage either. I don't really want any powder foundation, maybe something like tinted moisturizer? I also would prefer water proof makeup too as I don't want smudgey raccoon eyeliner, I prefer my lines to be thin. No liquid liner either. I also need to stay relatively cheap and get the most for my money. I have oily skin and am looking for a good cleanser and toner too. Please give me any advice you can ALL advice welcome! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 4
wingatprsct
Answered

Because you're 13, I'm not going to give you a lot of makeup advice.  However, the best makep applications start with flawless skin, so I will suggest that you start taking care of your skin now.  Taking care of your skin is one of the most important things you can do to minimize flaws later on.  I spend a lot of money and time on products to try to reverse the damage I might could have prevented at your age. 

You can find good inexpensive cleansers at your local drugstore as well as Sephora.  At your age, it's not as important which product you use, but that you use it consistantly. If you get in the habit of cleansing, toning, and moisturinzing your face every night and morning, it will prevent future acne outbreaks and scars.   Sleeping in makeup is one of the worst things we can do to our skin. The nighttime regime is important because it removes all the dirt and grime from the day and gives our skin a chance to rest, breathe and rejuvenate while sleeping.  Also, a once (or twice) a week exfoliation (scrub) can remove dead surface skin cells that clog pores and cause acne.

If you are beginning to experience acne breakouts, be sure to choose cleansers with salycilic acid.  Start with a lower percentage of salycilic acid and see if it can control your breakouts.  It can be very drying, so be sure to use an oil free moisturizer also.  My son started with Clean & Clear cleanser, toner, and moisturizer.  It worked for awhile and then we tried Clinique's Acne Solutions which also worked well.  It has a higher concentrate of salycilic acid.  He would skip the toner in the morning in the winter because it was too drying. 

Protecting yourr skin from the sun is also vital to keeping younger looking skin.  At 48, my skin has damage and dark spots from years of not wearing sunscreen.  We didn't know better.  Also, you can still tan with sunscreen, but you're protecting it from harmful rays.  Also, if you are using cleansers with salycilic acid, your skin is more susceptible to burning.  Neutrogena makes a facial sunscreen that will not cause breakouts.  Use it every day after moisturizer whether the sun is shining or not. (Neutrogena also makes a good body spray suncreen that dries quickly and is not sticky or greasy)  Later on, you can find tinted moisturizers and foundations with suncreen in them and use them instead.

When you do start wearing makeup, keep it simple.  A tinted moisturizer (with sunscreen), pale blush, eyeliner, mascara, and tinted lip balm or gloss in light colors.  However, no amount of makeup looks prettier than a beautiful complexion.

I hope this helps.

Cosmeticphile
Answered

I have a daughter your age :smileyhappy:  Since your skin is oily at this stage in your life (and as I told my daughter, this won't necessarily always be the case), I would say to get a gentle cleanser and follow up with a toner and oil-free moisturizer.  You don't want anything too harsh.  For my daughter, I get her Neutrogena products, which are inexpensive and user-friendly.  These should get you off to a great start with skin care!  For make-up, let your natural beauty do most of the work, you have time on your side, and I always tell my teenaged daughters that a fresh faced teenager is so much prettier than a girl that is overly make up to look much older.  Olay has a great tinted moisturizer that you can apply to blemishes only, or if you want more coverage,all over, and again it's not overly pricey.  For eye liner, my girls really love the Neutrogenia nourishing eye liners. They have them in grey and brown, and they glide on beautifully without irritating their eyes.  Again, these are inexpensive at around $5-6 each.  Revlon and L'oreal make some great eye shadow shades, and they are also inexpensive.  Maybe look for a palatte with three or four shades and play around with them to get different looks-and more bang for your buck.  Not to beat the Neutrogena drum too much, but they also have a great crease-proof cream eye shadow formula.  For mascara, I truly believe that you can't beat Maybeline great lash...the one in the pink and green tube.  My girls (five daughters) and I ALL use this one on a daily basis.  The favorite around here seems to be the "lots of lashes" formula, with the small round brush-it grabs all those tiny lashes and accentuates them. Also, Covergirl lash blast (in the orange tube) is a great proudct as well.  Sometimes my girls like to use colored mascara for a fun change, without eye liner.  

changmom
Answered
(0) Hearts

I work at Sephora and the best advice I can give you is to start a Skincare regime. Sephora Collection is a great place to start without breaking the bank. Their cleansers and moisturizers are great for all skin types.

Instead of foundation, use an oil-free tinted moisturizer with SPF. Laura Mercier has an amazing TM.

For eyeliner Stila Retractable Liner or Sephora Collection Retractable Liner will give you the best defined lines and are waterproof.

For eyeshadow, the Urban Decay Naked Basics palette is really all you need. 6 neutral shades that you can use for any time of the day wear! 

Hope this helps & have fun!!

onomotopoeia9
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hey congrats on this milestone!!!

For someone your age , I would recommend tinted moisturizer - Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown are my favorites

-Stila stay all day eyeliner pen makes it easy to apply a perfect, defined line. If you would rather a pencil,Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner pencil is probably one of the best waterproof-smudge proof liners out there and the colors are fantastic, if that is what you want
For your hazel eyes:

The naked pallets are gorgeous, and have every color you would need, at the steep price of $50. Technically, you are getting a lot for your money, though, considering all the shades.

Another option for eyes is the stila in the light pallete

Or if you don't want to bother with a pallet, try the stila eyeshadow in "kitten"

If you really want to go cheap on eyeshadow, sephora's brand is affordable but you really need a good primer if you want them to stay on.

Any light lipgloss can finish up the look

and optional, you can swipe your face with a bit of bronzer

For eye shadows, a general tip is to use shadow primer. Urban decay, too faced, and nars are my faves.

For your type of skin, I would recommend Ole Henriksen aloe vera deep cleanser and grease relief face tonic.The formulas are amazing, and the bottles are relatively huge.

Question Stats
  • 4 answers
  • 8 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • onomotopoeia9
    • changmom
    • wingatprsct
    • lovegabydelgado
    • Cosmeticphile