Why is Estee Lauder and Lancome considered to be makeup for the elderly?

On the threads here I see a lot of people regard these two brands as something that an older mother or grandmother would use, but what makes others regard these brands as something targeted to the elderly? I started using Estee Lauder when I was 13, and I have loved it ever since then, and I am still a teenager. They have my favorite eye shadows, my holy grail mascara,  their lipsticks and glosses are also loves of mine, and I am obsessed with their gold packaging. I have also used Lancome and I am a fan of them as well. Am I missing some information about this brand? I haven't been able to piece together myself as to why others think this brand is for the elderly. 

Re: Why is Estee Lauder and Lancome considered to be makeup for the elderly?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

It's just that both are prestigious brands that have been around for a long time, so a lot of older people are quite fond of them/don't branch out very much from them. That's definitely not to say that their makeup is *for* older people -- I doubt that's their target demographic anyway. :smileyhappy: If you love 'em, use 'em! 

**edit: "older" and "elderly" are relative terms of course. When I think of "older" I think of people in theirs 50s-60s.

(0) Hearts

I remember using Lancome when I was a teenager. I loved their foundations and lipsticks. I also seem to remember using acne/oily skincare from them. Never liked their juicy tubes though. They were super sticky.

(0) Hearts

I remember when Lancome Juicy Tubes were all the craze, and a must buy in Seventeen magazine's list. I think sometimes the companies advertising is skewed towards an older population.

(0) Hearts

I love both brands, ELDW light is the only foundation that matched and worked for me perfectly after trying a whole bunch while I love Lancome lipsticks and subtle palettes. Same goes for skin care,I'm hooked on one of the Lancome eye creams and loving a couple of skin care products from EL.

I totally understand where you are coming from as I myself noticed that in recent popular makeup brand thread, most people said they think these brands are for elderly crowds. Some of them said so cause they remember their moms using these Reputable brands and others seem to be inspired by the opinion of majority :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

(0) Hearts

Omg the ELDW light has new colors and now I have to try it! The original shades never worked for me. There was too much of a gap between shades

I love Lancome Teinte Idole 24 Hour Foundation. Hands down the lightest foundation I have ever worn. And it's buildable. Beats anything else I've ever used, and I used to be a hardcore Estee Lauder Double Wear girl. But that stuff is so heavy on my face.

(0) Hearts

I think I have to try that foundation again. I tried it last year and it didn't work on my skin, probably because I had no idea what I was doing hahah.

It's thinner than Estee Lauder definitely. But you can build it and I like that I can't feel it on my skin at all.

(0) Hearts

I was kind of cracking up at how many people considered them both for grandmas, because I'm in my twenties and looooove both brands.  I don't take it personally.  I understand why it's associated with older ladies, because it's a reputable brand that's been around and stood the test of time, so many probably remember seeing it on their grandmas/mothers make up vanities/dressers. 

(0) Hearts

Lancome has tried to refresh their offerings to a younger age group for the past 3 years or so. Estée Lauder has not been as successful in appealing to a younger market, quite possible because their GWPs include a too heavy emphasis on skin care. EL is trying to connect with younger folks through new offerings like the folding artist palette at Christmas and offering their makeup at Sephora.image.jpg

(0) Hearts

"...WHY IS ESTEE LAUDER AND LANCOME CONSIDERED TO BE MAKEUP FOR THE ELDERLY?

"...I haven't been able to piece together myself as to why others think this brand is for the elderly..."

Are you talking about other teenagers? 

It's not considered for the elderly, why would someone think that? They were one of the first generation stand alone cosmetic counter companies in malls that focused on skincare product lines specifically designed for different needs of changing skin as one transitioned from puberty. 

(0) Hearts

One thing I haven't seen mentioned much is that word associations are very personal. Unless you have the exact same experiences as someone else your word associations will be different. (the differences are what make it fun!)

I will use myself for example. My mother has religiously used Estee Lauder for as long as I can remember. Therefore to me Estee Lauder = my mother's makeup. Like wise, my grandma and her friends use Lancome. Therefore, it reminds me of older women's makeup. It is the same way a certain perfume can remind you of someone. By the way, I have and love products from both brands! :smileyhappy:

Estee Lauder and Lancome have a reputation for being conservative which is why people associate them with 'elderly'.  Estee Lauder has also been around for years... I think it might be one of the oldest cosmetics companies around.  When I think of EL, I think of a lot of mattes and cream products, and a very mild color range.  I think Lancome is a little younger than EL -- for example, their Juicy Lip Tubes are for a younger demographic.  However, my great aunt's favorite perfume was Tresor, and I remember this from over 15 years ago.  I don't think Lancome has as old of a demographic as EL since Lancome does make products with subtle glitter in it, whereas EL offers no glitter whatsoever.  However, I will say that Lancome and EL have reputations for being very boring.  It's like entry level department store makeup.  I used Lancome products when I was in high school, but I haven't purchased a Lancome product since then.

The thing is, there are so many brands out there that offer way more trendy/innovative products.  I think Lancome and EL have very basic color ranges, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Some people like more conservative looks and they like looking 'natural'.  

There's also a selection bias here on the Sephora boards that you have to consider.  These are all women who are passionate about makeup -- they wouldn't be on here if they weren't!  Since this a group of women is more "fashion forward" than average, a basic color range and basic products are going to seem boring to them -- aka "elderly."

It just comes down to EL and Lancome having more conservative products which is interpreted as matronly/boring/elderly.  If you like EL and Lancome, don't worry about it!  They make perfectly good products and nobody can tell you what to like.  :smileyhappy:

(0) Hearts

I usually see them that way based on their market as well as their product lines. Both have a lot of anti-aging products both in skincare and infused with their makeup and I don't see a lot of products for acne or otherwise. But what they do have is usually wonderful.

(0) Hearts

I guess I can see that. I don't see either brand carrying anything for acne or oily skin much, but I still like both of their makeup lines.

(0) Hearts

Estee Lauder does have stuff for acne, their "clear difference" line

I am a fan of both brands as well.  At 34, I am older than a lot of the people on the board.  There are people who are older, but the average age of the people who posted in the thread you're referring to probably lands in the 20s.  Lancome has been my favorite brand since I was 17.  Estee Lauder has been loved since I was 18.  A lot of the super trendy brands that younger people love these days did not exist when I was a teenager, so they were not there for me to explore and fall in love with.  I have explored these brands recently, and I like most of them too (just not as much as my beloved Lancome).

Lancome and Estee Lauder have great products that a lot of people are unwilling to try, because they associate the brands with older people.  I am glad they do not want to try them, because it leaves more amazing GWPs for people like me who scoop up decent makeup cheaply when you factor in the gifts.  Whenever I visit a Lancome counter, I typically am the youngest person there.  Although, I vehemently disagree with the people who see Clinique as an older person's brand, I agree that Lancome and Estee Lauder are more traditionally visited by an older client.  Clinique is an entry to mid level brands for young teenagers to me.  I think the older people who shop Clinique are as rare as the younger people who shop Estee Lauder and Lancome.  They even have an impressive acne line.

If you like Lancome and Estee Lauder, ignore the people who think you're too young to shop there.  I do not care what other people think.  All that matters is you like the makeup you're buying.  For the ones who have tried the line and swear the quality is not there, I do not always trust their opinions anyway.  The same people have touted great quality in lines I do not find quality in.  One particular person posted dependable to Smashbox (which is a terrible line to me) and NARS (which is very hit or miss to me) whilst blasting Lancome (which is mostly hit to me).  Another person posted Lancome as overpriced Loreal, which obviously means she is not fully aware of the value of GWPs.  I think I would pay more per item for Loreal than Lancome, because I always buy Lancome with a GWP making it cheaper per item than Loreal.  My point is what is great to one person may be garbage to another.  It depends on personal preference and perception.  No one is wrong.  They are just opinions.

(0) Hearts

For me it's because when I think of Estee Lauder, Lancôme and I always add Chanel to the list they bring up images of 1930's, 1940's and 1950's, very old fashion beauty and glamour when our grandmothers were young.

(0) Hearts

Although they are associated with the "older" crowd, I will go on record in saying that they make some of the best products and those products often get overlooked because they have that "old" stigma tied to them.

(0) Hearts

I think it is for several reasons.  For one, as others have said, these brands have been around for ages in department stores.  They also both have fragrance lines which have catered to a more mature crowd (not fruity/florals for the most part) so people associate their fragrances with their mother/grandmother/aunt usually.  They also both focus their research on anti aging products when it comes to skincare, unlike department store brands like Clinique who make great introductory skincare for young people.  Lastly, both of these brands have used more mature models for their marketing in the past although Isabella Rossellini was reportedly let go from her Lancome contract when she got too old for even their target market.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • image.jpg