infinitise

Which makeup brushes are genuinely worth the cost?

I've been setting myself up for buying the Sigma brushes. Read numerous reviews, watched many many many youtube video for the past month or so. 

Recently however, I've became doubtful and searched for a "honest" review (which I strongly believe ALL reviews should be) and found out that for many if not most of the youtubers and reviewers, Sigma sponsored, paid, or gave them free stuff for writing or filming positive reviews. Which I have strong opinions about. (basically, we are not only paying for their profit when we buy their brushes, but for other people's fake reviews) Super annoying. 

I know there are great brushes from Sigma though (the whole entire brand can't be bad) and I acknowledge that. 

people who are sponsored or affiliated in anyway with Sigma please don't reply because I'm already frustrated. 

To people who can give honest opinions, which brushes from sigma are actually worth it? 

and my real question I guess is, what might be a truly, genuinely good quality brushes?

I love bobbi brown brushes from the past but I do think they are too pricey for a college student's budget....  

IttyxBittyxMe

Re: Which makeup brushes are genuinely worth the cost?

(0) Hearts

I actually like my Sigma brushes and find their quality to be really good. I love using their angled contour brush for blushes and contouring, and the eyeshadow brushes are great to. 

swanbeauty

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Well, I don't own Sigma brushes... but have tried a bunch of brushes.  A line that really surprised me was the Sonia Kashuk line at Target.  I picked up a few not knowing anything about the quality, but I really love her line of synthetic brushes.  Super soft, yet firm to pick up the makeup.  I have the synthetic flat top multipurpose and the Large Powder Brush.  Best purchases ever, since they were $15 and AMAZING.

Sonia Kashuk® Kashuk Tools Synthetic Flat Top Multipurpose Brush - No 04

I started out will all MAC brushes, but compared to some I have now, the quality of the MAC brushes is not as good.  The Sephora Pro brushes are pretty good too.  I have those in the Classic Mineral Powder brush (which is great for powder foundation AND liquid), Angled Blush Brush (2 versions), Contour, All Over Powder #61 which is huge and firm and fluffy all at the same time.  I have been thinking of replacing my eye brushes with the Sephora Pro line, as I love all the face brushes I have replaced so far.

killahbabe

I own a few Sigma brushes and I really do love my flat top kabuki brush (F80). It's dense, washes well, and I never have an issue with shedding. I've tossed many other brushes (Sephora powder/blush brushes specifically) because of shedding so that's one of the main things I look for in a brush. And just for the record, no one is paying me for my positive review :smileyhappy:

Kyndra

(0) Hearts

I haven't tried Sigma brushes yet, I want them for my client kit though, but I have a lot of MAC and Real Technique beushes and I reach for my RT brushes way more! If you don't want to spend the money for Sigma I'd say Real Technique also

beeberz

(0) Hearts

I think that sigma are as good as mac brushes. Some people think mac is the standard. some people think that brushes are like magic wands or something and if they only had the proper tools, they would be a makeup artist extraordinaire! I think that the high price tag is unnecessary. If you know the basics, and have essential brushes you will be able to create lovely looks with little effort. At one time I had many mac makeup brushes, got excited and looked forward to getting each addition to my collection but really most of the time i was let down and wondered what all the hype was about. I still use a few 252, 217, 224, 131(Flat for highlighting easy but Rarely do i reach for it), 129(for hard blushes because it is scratchy) but only because i have them. If they ever became misplaced or lost i would not replace them with mac, id go for coastal scents! The only real mac brush i dont think i would replace with a cheaper alternative is my beloved 252 but that is only because i haven't seen a really good dupe for it yet.

Real techniques are really fabolus brushes! I suggest them to anyone I can. They have replaced many of the brushes from higher end brands and i use them daily. They are awesome and i love how fast they dry after washing them. I wish they had skinnier handles and that they were all black but the handles barely matter when you feel how effortless they apply makeup to the face. If any brushes would be considered magic wands these by Real Techniques would be at the top of the list.

infinitise

(0) Hearts

I agree .. even with the same tools, its really the techniques of the person that really matters :smileysad: 

I have a few mac brushes 242, 217,219,and the angled contour, but it was only after I bought them that they don't create magic. 

but they are very sturdy and have never had problem with shedding or getting out of shape. 

I don't know much about dupe brushes other than Real techniques and Sigma.. and all the more reviews I read, I was confused more.. so I just bought Mac. 

Which RT brushes do you think are best? 

I know expert face brushes to be one, and eyebrushes to not be so amazing.. but how are the powder, blush and others? 

IllegallyBlonde

My Tarte foundation brush is the fluffiest, softest brush I've ever owned (better than Mac.) 

But I find that ELF makes pretty decent eyeshadow brushes, and they're only 2-5$. I've had mine for years and they work great. 

infinitise

I heard great things about the Tarte bamboo brushes too!

I saw them a few times at the store too.. 

are they easy to clean?

do they soak up alot of the products? 

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

I second IT Cosmetics, I've only used one or two brushes from them but really like them so far!

I also use the Sephora professional and Sephora airbrush lines, and I am very pleased with those -- and I am super picky.  No shedding, wash up nice, good softness and density.

After all the talk on BT, I am going to try some Real Techniques brushes myself.  I usually don't bother spending my money on non-high-end things (I know that sounds snobby), because I'd rather spend $50 once and get something I love -- with a luxe experience of using it -- than spend $10, 5 times and waste a bunch of crap I don't like (not to mention time).

That being said, they get such good reviews and it will be cheap to try a few out this holiday!  Now, where to find them...

beethousand

(0) Hearts

I don't think it sounds snobby at all - I do the same thing. I would much, much rather have an expensive brush that I use daily than loads of cheap ones that sit unloved (which I still have anyway... now I just buy the expensive one to start with!). I have the same philosophy with dupes - if the original is what I want, the dupe is not going to make me want it less! That said, some of the Real Techniques brushes are fabulous, even to my high end loving self. The Expert Face brush is WONDERFUL for foundation and cream product application, and I use the Setting Brush every single to set my undereye concealer with LM Secret Brightening Powder. I honestly don't love the blush brush, but the buffing brush and contour brush are great. 

infinitise

(0) Hearts

I really agree with you.. 

I go to school in Canada, and go home only during breaks.. 

So I've been contemplating if I want to get the Real Techniques or not when I go to US this winter for the same reason.. I rather buy Mac or bobbi brown brushes once and not over and over.. 

its probably stereotyping, but lower priced anything is usually lacking in quality. 

I heard that Ulta sells RT brushes. I'll probably go and test them out before I judge them. because I do hear mixed reviews about RT expert face brushes streaking vs. being the best brush ever. 

aggiegirl2012

(0) Hearts

I love my real techniques face brushes. 

I have purchased a number of sigma brushes for eyes (4 different blenders & a pencil) but find myself still reaching for my MAC 217, 239 & 219. We will see though, I had some hakuhodo brushes on my Christmas list. Their comparable blender is $7 less than the Mac and I've found uniformly great reviews.

infinitise

(0) Hearts

How is your Sigma brushes? 

I'm still getting mixed messages.. I feel like some of the great reviews are still genuine, just not taken seriously because of the fake ones.. 

but then again, I don't want to take chance in bristles ending up all over myface.. 

aggiegirl2012

(0) Hearts

I haven't had too much shedding. They've splayed a little and aren't quite as soft as my MAC ones. 

For roughly $10/brush- they aren't bad. 

missey1973

(0) Hearts

I have never tried them but a lot of people really really love IT Cosmetic brushes. Ulta now carries that brand.

MonopolizeMe

(0) Hearts

I'm going to second..(third? a hundredth?) the real techniques brushes! (and ecotools too) I have used different Sigma and MAC brushes, but I absolutely prefer the brushes I got from the  RT core collection a long time ago. The bristles are super soft, and yet quite dense (where you want them to be!) and wash well. The higher end brushes I have give me quite a lot of grief with all the shedding that they do- either that, or they don't wash well (never quite regain that original shape). It's ironic because if that happened with Real Techniques, I wouldn't mind as much given the price point, but of course those brushes last for ages whereas the higher end ones don't always do so.  RT Core Collection, expert face brush, and maybe the blush brush are all ones you should check out!

Also, I have just recently begun checking out Sedona Lace brushes, and I have to say I am impressed! Similar price point with the RT brushes, and the ones that I just got are even softer than those but do an equally admirable job- I highly recommend the flat top brush from the midnight lace collection. 

carrie1975

I love the ecotools brand. They are very inexpensive and they work very well. I really love their powder brush and their finishing kabuki. Their eye brushes work well too. I use them daily over my kat von d brushes.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Toning aside the cost of any brand and going purely off quality, Real Techniques are the absolute best.  I've converted all of mine over!  Plus, they're cruelty-free!

cmeas

(0) Hearts

I've just recently bought the Real Techniques brushes so fare after a week. I love them. 

x0Emilie0x

I've had my eye on ecotools brushes! They are sooo inexpensive and I have heard mostly good things about them. I can't afford the name brand higher end ones, so these look like a pretty good alternative for me. The quality looks pretty good, and it's $13 for a set of five or something, so I really don't see how it could go wrong. All eco friendly with wood handles and everything. Worth a try. Sigma also looks pretty good, and I know those are often referred to as a bargain (even so I can't afford them...). If your budget is as small as mine, take a look at ecotools. Right now I only have some Ulta ones (which are awful, I've only got a sponge applicator, a shadow brush, and a contour brush. They were a gift and the plastic hairs are just cheap and don't grab product) and some really tiny sephora ones from a $15 travel set of 5. These are not for sale anymore (they were a pink breast cancer set) but I still use them daily. I cherish brushes, especially my double sided one that came with the UD Vice 2 (probably the best I own).

But yeah. Off topic. Ecotools. Check it out. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 108 replies
  • 38 hearts
  • 51 in conversation
    • kenny
    • killahbabe
    • annonymous1
    • jennypenny1995
    • janinebt
    • swanbeauty