AIixandra

What products do you "cheap out" on?

Hey guys, 

Just wondering if there are any products you buy from drugstore brands over high end brands constantly? I don't mean a specific brand per say but for example I always end up buying mascara at the drugstore these days. I've gone through dozens and dozens of tubes of high end mascara but I've never found a HG one. I don't buy many other products from the drugstore at all but I've never noticed a big enough difference in high end mascara. What about you guys? Anything you always buy at the drugstore? 

mafan

Re: What products do you "cheap out" on?

L'Oreal Infallible Lip Stain -- this stuff lasts better than anything else I've tried.  I wish I liked the color range better but I'm going to look again because it really lasts.

Maybelline Color Tattoo eye shadows.  They are really waterproof and don't easily crease.  I wish they had a color like the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick I have because they wear a lot better.

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Lip Stains -- not sure of the name but they're a crayon and wear similar to Tarte's LipSurgence.  I wish that the stains didn't always seem to go bright pink (on both of them) but they are nice.

SydBristow

The ONLY face cleanser that seems to work for me is Say Yes to Cucumbers Milk Face Wash, available for about $6 at Bed Bath and Beyond. :smileyhappy: My skin is quite dry. I have tried other products, I actually paid almost $30 for a high end cleaner that wrecks my skin, drying it out and making it feel stripped (which is exactly what it says it won't do right on the package). :smileyhappy: So I stopped trying new things and just say "yes" to cucumbers! :smileyhappy:

kimmi1115

I love drugstore mascara, especially ones by Maybelline.  Right now, I'm using Avon Mega Effects mascara.  Love!

mberteig

Hi,

Mascara, I've tried both high end and low end and what works the best for me is Maybelline Lash Stiletto with the Falsies layered over it.  The only high end product that comes close to this is the Lancome Definicils and their volume mascara, but they are like 3 times the price!  Jordana Volume Extreme mascara is great and it's like only $2.99!

I really like some drugstore makeup brands, like Wet n Wild, Milani, Nyx and Jordana.  To me, the prices doesn't matter, if I like it and it works for me, low end is just as good as high end.

I will also get items such as shampoo, lotion, etc, at the drugstore.

DesertRose0706

i dont use too many drugstore products any more, but the ones i do use, i use because they just work really well for me:

Dove white bar soap

Biore nose/face strips

Cetaphil moisturizong cream (comes in a tub, and is sooo moisturizing)

Treseme hairspray

Veet wax strips

Schick hydrosilk razor

midnightangel

Always/Usually:

Mascara

Nail polish

Sunblock

Lip balm

Lotions

Bodywash

Foundation toners

Loose powder

Concealer

Sometimes:

Eyeshadow

Eyeliner

Lipgloss

Hair products

I'll give most anything a go if it appeals to me - I don't judge a product by its brand, its price tag or which store it comes from. If it works great, awesome. If not, try something else.

Thus I don't consider it "cheaping out" if a drugstore product works better than high end, which is often the case. Different things work for different people.

roxystar4

mascara!! It only lasts a few months.

My SIL went into sephora near where we live and the SA asked her what she used for mascara. MY SIL told her Cover Girl & the SA gave her a eye-roll / dirty look.  no need for that... lol!

warriorwitch

That's totally unnecessary! No need to be snobby, if something works then it works whether its $20 or $2.

roxystar4

amen warriorwitch!

jellybean917

Well said, @warriorwitch! There are people who look down on those who buy high-end products and there are people who look down on those who purchase drugstore products. How about we let people spend their money on what they want?

anaa

(0) Hearts

I found the same thing with mascara.  I have gone back to great lash, which unfortunately does contain parabens.  I tried probably dozens of samples and bought a few from Sephora as well.  I just don't get the same results that I get from great lash, which I started using when it was introduced many years ago.  I recently was in Target and saw that they had some colors, so I was able to get a cool teal for $4.50.  Can't beat it.

marydiva

Moisturizer! I use Neutrogena's 15 SPF moisturizer on the daily & I trust them not clog my pores/break me out. I also use a drugstore face wash (Biore).

Shampoo/Conditioner are also drugstore as well as all my hair products. My curly hair goes through product so fast that if I went high-end, I'd be broke!

However, I'm a stickler for high end makeup & I never buy drugstore b/c you get what you pay for! :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

Neutrogena sunscreen. I only use them 2-3 times every summer, and they expire after a yr or two anyways, so I don't buy fancy sunscreens.

Maybelline/covergirl mascara. I use mascara at most once a month, so the deluxe samples are more than enough. In the past years, I've only brought mascara twice and I'm fine with drugstore.

Body wash/soap. I use soap, Irish Spring, the end.

Panda168

Mascara. I normally prefer more natural brands in general, but it's difficult to find a decent mascara without the crazy chemicals. My current preferred mascara is Cover Girl Lash Blast Clump Crusher Mascara ....... LOVE this

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Cleansing Oils!

I always use Korean "roadshop" (drugstore level) products 

I've had Bobbi Brown, Shu Uemura, and DHC before, but because they are so expensive and adds alot to my budget on top of all the makeup and skin care stuff I buy, and feel like I can't use as much as I want whenever I want (for example if I wanted to practice eyeshadows/eyeliners, and try different foundation samples on my entire face) 

Also because I know I'm going to use a good cleanser afterwards with my clarisonic, so cleansing oils doesn't matter too much as long as it gets rid of the makeup. 

jojobe

(0) Hearts

Sunscreen/ Sunblock,

I find that that I would rather pay 8.00 for a sunblock rather than 15-20.00. I mean really if there was something more special that made it better I might buy it.

Body washes for the most part drugstore ones work just as good unless I want one that matches my perfume.

Burt's bees lip balm

Missie772

(0) Hearts

Nail polish remover, facial wipes, cotton balls, and deodorant.

misscg

Let's see, i usually buy Essie nail polish from the drugstore and things like body wash and lotion. I used to get mascara from there too but I have so many sample that I haven't had to buy any in a while. 

ghkim

(0) Hearts

shampoo and conditioner. believe me, i have contemplated using the fancy ones and buying from sephora (more points!), but i have been liking the dermorganics line which has argan oil and sulphate free. i sometimes do aveeno for body lotion as well. i definitely only buy deodorant from the drugstore - i wasn't even aware there was any other option!

spacesuit

Deodorant, facial wipes, and nail polish. I've also switched over to the Milani eyeshadow primer and I haven't regretted it.

BeautyJunkie325

Mascara (only b/c I haven't found one I love at Sephora), ELF HD powder, and nail polish (OPI, Essie and Zoya).  im always getting lip balm/gloss at Bath& Body Works.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 74 replies
  • 77 hearts
  • 57 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • hydee77
    • anaa
    • marydiva
    • misscg
    • mari316