AIixandra

What products do you "cheap out" on?

Hey guys, 

Just wondering if there are any products you buy from drugstore brands over high end brands constantly? I don't mean a specific brand per say but for example I always end up buying mascara at the drugstore these days. I've gone through dozens and dozens of tubes of high end mascara but I've never found a HG one. I don't buy many other products from the drugstore at all but I've never noticed a big enough difference in high end mascara. What about you guys? Anything you always buy at the drugstore? 

thesupergirl

Re: What products do you "cheap out" on?

(0) Hearts

I love tresemme dry shampoo, simple cleansing facial wipes, and when I'm out or it's time to replace my benefiit they're real mascara I use loreal power volume 24hr

STILLLVSEPHORA

Oh, and for fine hair, PSSSSSST! Dry Shampoo at WalMart/Drugstores has been my favorite AND the cheapest of all the dry shampoo sprays I've tried.

STILLLVSEPHORA

Having worked at Sephora and at Lancome for many years, I never found a cheap mascara that I liked because I like really plush, non-plastic brushes and LOTS of intensity.  For example, I really loved Lancome's FATALE back in the day, as well as Hypnose and Amplicils (waaaay back), and I always used YSL and MUFE Smoky Lash while working at Sephora, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new find:  L'Oreal VOLUMINOUS Power Volume 24Hr Mascara in Black Carbon. It's $7, and it actually lasts alot longer (until it runs out, I mean) than the ones I used at Sephora and Lancome.  However, NOTHING beats Lancome's BI-FACIL eye m/u remover.  Nothing.  I've tried them all.  Sephora Collection's version is my next-favorite, but nothing removes as gently and quickly as Lancome Bi-Facil.  Just sayin' :smileyhappy:

viviene23

(0) Hearts

I like Got2b volumizing powder. Its about $5 and it volumizes in seconds. Works wonders when my hair is limp and I'm on the go.swfupload_6151803494100697183.jpg

swfupload_834098942460537574.png*not my pic but I got this from an online blogger :-)

Missie772

(0) Hearts

I WANT THIS! My hair is stick straight and it is so long and thick that it weighs down all volumizing products that I have tried. I am totally going to pick it up for $5 and try it out!!!

linda84

(0) Hearts

I am going to try it! I have never seen it in stores though. I will have to look harder. I have long, thick, straight hair too, and even if I get a little volume in it, it goes flat when I walk out the door!

mishanyc

(0) Hearts

I bought that product from Ulta, Linda.  They were having a sale a while back on that brand so I picked it up along with the Guardian Angel heat protectant.  Maybe you'll have luck if you try there.

linda84

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I will definitely take a look there!

rikkie

Wow, that picture is impressive. I bought that product and it does absolutely nothing for my hair. Maybe I need to use more? I hope it works well for you!

viviene23

(0) Hearts

Hmm, it works wonders for me. A little tacky at times but I eventually got the right amount to put and it gave my hair lotsa volume. Still nothing like a good volumizing blowout.

viviene23

Oh I just wanna add, I discovered this from a hairstylist because I wanted to recreate Doutzen Kroes' messy ponytail and I guess they used volumizing powder to create messy style and volume.

swfupload_8782331057689868627.jpg

rikkie

(0) Hearts

Oh, that's a gorgeous look! I wish I could deal with long hair sometimes!

knadala

(0) Hearts

Lip liner seems to be a product that you can find dupes for at the drugstore. I find a lot of great quality and color lip liners at CVS and Walgreens. 

Bronzer is also pretty great from Rimmel, and super cheap!

I also LOVE the sinful colors brand for nail polish, they have so many colors and the quality is better than average. They are regularly $1.99 a bottle, but I often find them on sale for $0.99.

LadyInWhite

(0) Hearts

Sinful colors is great!  I always feel bad for it, since the line somehow always ends up on the bottom of the display racks, but it's got a good range and wonderful durability.

roxystar4

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

i cheap on on lip liner too!  Lots of rimmel...

missjr

(0) Hearts

Great topic!  As much as I spend  on high-end beauty and skincare products, I have to admit that there are some things I'm really cheap about.

1)  I simply can't justify spending a lot of money for cocoa butter, body oil or body creams.  I love Neutragena's Sesame Body Oil, as well as Aveeno bath washes and Palmer's Cocoa Butter, which can all be purchased at the drug store at a fraction of what Sephora, Bluemercury and other high-end cosmetic companies sell.

2)  I love my high-end facial cleansers, but in a pinch I still have my trusty jar of Ponds cold cream.  It's great for removing waterproof eye makeup without tugging and doesn't irritate my eyes.

3)  Although Tarte's Lights, Cameras, Lashes! mascara is my HG mascara, I love Maybelline's Great Lash mascara.  I also stock up on free mascara during Clinique bonus time.

4)  I balk at paying a great deal of money for my favorite fragrances and usually wait until Mother's Day or Christmas to take advantage of the Estee Lauder, Calvin Klein and other fragrance gift sets.  That way, I can get the perfume, body lotion, powder and/or rollerball for $65 or less.

CzaCee

(0) Hearts

I cheap out on mascaras. The mascaras that I'm using are mostly mini mascaras from GWPs. lol.

miabt

Hmm, thats a good one!  The one thing I havent purchased high end, has been lashes.  My favorites are Ardell  & Red Cherry <3  The other thing, lotions.  I love splurging, but I go through lotions so quick, I feel like I'll go broke staying silky smooth!

xo, Mia

Tinak321

I love Aveeno daily moisturizing lotion. It keeps may skin smooth but doesn't have much of a scent so it doesn't clash with my perfume. I also buy body wash, makeup remover and toner at the drugstore. I'm a bit of a perfume junkie but don't buy "cheap" stuff only because my best friend who is highly allergic to fragrance says that the high end stuff actually doesn't bother her as much. To me, that means there must be worthwhile difference in the ingredients to justify spending a bit more for high quality fragrances.

knadala

(0) Hearts

I love Physician's formula Happy Booster blush; the pigmentation is great and the color is buildable, and I guess it's suppose to elevate your mood so that's pretty cool.

I also use Wet n' Wild eyeshadow trios; you can't beat the price for the quality you're getting. Normally I'm weary of low price drugstore eyeshadows, but the color payoff with the trio's rivals the high ends brands. The colors are blendable and don't flake off.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 74 replies
  • 77 hearts
  • 57 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • hydee77
    • anaa
    • marydiva
    • misscg
    • mari316