MintShake

What is one brand (or some products) you think are...

Disappointing? I have a few products that have underwhelmed me:

1. Stila in general. Yes, I do love their Smudgestick eyeliner, the felt-tip eyeliner, and the regular palettes, but I always feel like each product always has one glaring fault:

- The Smudgestick eyeliner- product itself- fantastic, highly pigmented, glides on easily and doesn't budge when you don't want it to, however, you can't twist the pencil back into the case, so you have to be extra careful, and apparently there's a high chance you may get a dud, which is kinda ridiculous. 

- The Palette has beautiful, pigmented colours, but I feel that it's a real inconvenience that the palette doesn't come with a mirror of all things. 

I also don't really care for Benefit. I feel that while it has some witty names, and cute packaging, the actual products itself are left to be desired (welp, I never tried the brand, so I can't say much, I only based my conclusion on reviews). 

Then there's the ridiculously popular Nars Orgasm blush. It's a pretty peachy shimmery colour, but it's not great on my skintone, It just looks like peachy glitter, :smileysad:

HelloCoffee

Re: What is one brand (or some products) you think are...

[ Edited ]

Wow, it seemed I was the only way that felt that way about Benefit!   Honestly, great packaging and names, but yea, the products are so-so (and quite over-priced for that matter).

What I hate most about Benefit is that they are ALWAYS discontinuing things just to relaunch something else.  I used to work for the Benefit counter years ago.  I mean, the line isn't out too long and they are on their 4th generation of lipsticks? And only 9 colors? I mean, how can you not get lipstick right?

That's why I don't buy Benefit anymore...you never know when they will just stop making something you love.  I know lots of brands do that, but I feel Benefit is notorious for constantly discontinuing things. They've kept around a handful of their "fake-it" products, but that's it. 

*Seriously, we can make a thread discussing all the products they've discontinued.

spacesuit

Gotta be the OCC Lip Tars - beautiful pigmented colors but soooo drying on me, even after exfoliation and moisturizing lip treatments. :smileysad: </3

I was also disappointed with the Kat Von D pencil liner - it smudged really well but then... never stopped smudging. So far it's the only eyeliner to give me the dreaded "panda eyes".

MintShake

(0) Hearts

I also don't like OCC liptars. The colour is highly pigmented, but it kinda feels greasy, and doesn't leave a stain, :/, and dry.... bleh. 

nikki

Clinique's skincare does nothing for me. And I have never liked any Murad product I've tried. Drugstore brands have been more effective for me.

And everyone here seems to love Origins Charcoal mask, but I don't think it does anything. 

I like MUFE, but the Mat Velvet foundation was a disappointment, especially for the price. It oxidizes, and didn't have great coverage, and would apply patchy and emphasize pores, as well as it didn't wear as long as the SA said it would

melisa16

You are like my beauty twin. Clinique skincare was so disappointing. I received samples from Murad and talked to a Murad representative at Sephora, and still no products worked for me. The Mat Velvet did not have good coverage, and I always hear people say full coverage and it looked so cakey on me. 

MintShake

Omg same :smileysurprised: I bought these clinique starter kits and they were a disappointment :<

nikki

I'm glad someone else didn't like the Mat Velvet, so many people rave about it! I was starting to think it was just me:smileyvery-happy:

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

Can I be a triplet? Agree with everything you've said. but I'm also not a fan of Clinique makeup (I'm sure there are some gems here or there but I'd rather spend my money elsewhere)

melisa16

Haha of course, also not a fan of Clinique makeup. Nothing ever excites me from the line!

Alygal90

I also don't like the Charcoal Mask... If anything, it made my skin really dry.

kittichick

It's funny that you should mention them, because Benefit and Too Faced are THE two brands that I kind of HATE.

Benefit - I think I may have tried every product they make (Slight exaggeration - but not by much!) and I have found exactly one product that I like: Porefessional. And it's not even my favorite primer. But it is in the top three. Or four. I like Benetint's longevity but I don't like the color on me. - And the brush always tickles my lips!

Too Faced... They do make some pretty palettes, but the more glittery/shimmery colors have the most awful drop-off!! Sometimes I wonder if it's me, though, because I rarely see other people comment on it. But everything else they make, especially if it requires a good formulation and not just a pretty color (e.g. mascara) I find to be terrible.

Those are the only brands I consistently dislike. Stila is hit and miss for me. Love their liquid eyeliner and I've had good luck with their mini palettes (but again with the drop-off), but their lip glaze is hooooorrid! The texture is unbearable - the epitome of a sticky lip gloss.

NARS, otoh, I kind of love. Orgasm was the first blush I thought worked on me.

Urban Decay's 24/7 eyeliner took less than an hour to give me the worst panda eyes ever. Really disappointed with that one.

OCC lip tars. I want to love them, but the feathering is insane. I tried a few application tricks that helped but didn't eliminate the problem. I didn't think I had a problem with lines around my lips until I tried the lip tars. :smileysad:

nishcakes

(0) Hearts

UD 24/7 glide on eye pencil or waterproof eyeliner?? If it's the pencil, I agree...it's garbage. (I mean unless a person prefers to look like they went a couple rounds with Tyson in the ring). The waterproof eyeliners are great though.

punctuationgeek

Benefit. Adorable packaging, but so-so products (in my experience). Benetint was a disappointment. IMO, their skincare is also pretty harsh (I'm quite sensitive, though, so that's just me).

Too Faced. Again, nice packaging, but I've never been wowed by any of their products.

Stila. I've tried a few things, and I've never really been impressed. The gel liner I had dried out immediately. I have a blush sample sitting in a drawer somewhere; I guess I should try that out sometime lol...

To end on a good note--one brand I was shocked by with how much I loved it is Clinique. The Chubby Sticks (for eyes and lips) amaze me. The BB cream was nice but my skin was way too dry for it at the time (thanks to BT, my skin is so much better). High Impact mascara is also nice--it's the only mascara that doesn't wear off under my eyes.

I agree with you on Orgasm--it doesn't blow me away, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I'm more tempted to buy Peach Pop from Clinique.

laurennnlove

I'm glad there is someone who agrees with me! People tend to make fun of me because one of my favorite lip products is the clinique chubby stick in super strawberry.  it is my go-to daytime color. i am in loveeee!!! I recently ran out and everyday I struggle to find a color to wear.  i feel so lost without my super strawberry :smileysad:

LaiceeB18

(0) Hearts

I actually just got my first chubby stick in two ton tomato :smileyhappy: So far I really like it!

punctuationgeek

(0) Hearts

A year ago, I got a set of Chubby Sticks--orange, pink, red, berry--and I was hooked! If I'm going out and my lips are dry, the Chubbies are my go-to. Chunkiest Chili (intense) is my favorite red--it doesn't look too bright or too dark on my skin.

HelloCoffee

(0) Hearts

I have several shades!  The Strawberry one is awesome!  I wish they would make a gift set with lots of shades...during the holidays they only had the duo set......maybe next time : )

HelloCoffee

I love Chubby Sticks and High Impact too!  Seriously, it's an underrated mascara!  It's great!

kittichick

Once upon a time, I bought Clinique's skin care but not their makeup. Now that's reversed. Their newer eye shadow quads are pretty awesome and High Impact mascara is one of my top mascaras, too! I want to love the Chubby sticks, but I can't find a color that works on me. I'm even using one of their foundations right now. :smileyhappy:

ladymeag

(0) Hearts

I've had terrible luck with Too Faced. When I'm not allergic to the ingredients (*grumblegrumble*ChocolateBarandMilkSoliel*grumblegrumble*,) I don't have good luck with color payoff or staying power. I really wanted to like some of their products but I just can't. 

MUFE is a fan-favorite and I've had zero luck with their products. The lipstick is terribly scented. The Aqua Liners didn't stay put. The foundations are no help to me. They have a great range of colors available, I wish I liked the products. 

stacv

I totally agree regarding stila. there packaging is cute and yes, kitten is a pretty color, but I feel like they don't bring much of anything special to the game That can't be found elsewhere. I just used one of their waterproof liners today on my waterline and my eyes were on fire for hours until I washed everything off. In to the garbage that went.

there are a few brands I have never felt the drive to buy so I can't comment on their actual value nor performance but the brands have never enticed me. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 64 replies
  • 66 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • nikki
    • chupi
    • emmaclaire
    • marydiva
    • melisa16
    • ChicDabbler