MintShake

What is one brand (or some products) you think are...

Disappointing? I have a few products that have underwhelmed me:

1. Stila in general. Yes, I do love their Smudgestick eyeliner, the felt-tip eyeliner, and the regular palettes, but I always feel like each product always has one glaring fault:

- The Smudgestick eyeliner- product itself- fantastic, highly pigmented, glides on easily and doesn't budge when you don't want it to, however, you can't twist the pencil back into the case, so you have to be extra careful, and apparently there's a high chance you may get a dud, which is kinda ridiculous. 

- The Palette has beautiful, pigmented colours, but I feel that it's a real inconvenience that the palette doesn't come with a mirror of all things. 

I also don't really care for Benefit. I feel that while it has some witty names, and cute packaging, the actual products itself are left to be desired (welp, I never tried the brand, so I can't say much, I only based my conclusion on reviews). 

Then there's the ridiculously popular Nars Orgasm blush. It's a pretty peachy shimmery colour, but it's not great on my skintone, It just looks like peachy glitter, :smileysad:

annypoo

Re: What is one brand (or some products) you think are...

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Clinqiue - Mascaras, they do nothing for me. Eyeshadows are okay, not the best pigmentation. Foundation didn't make my skin look amazing, wouldn't purchase again.

Smashbox - Eyeliner, smooth but smudged a lot under my eyes. Eyeshadows, pigmentation for lighter colors did not show up on my lids.

Stila - Love their In the Light palette but that's about it. Eyeliner, dried out on me after a while. Had another older palette and the pigmentation wasn't as good/smooth as my In the Light palette.

Nars - for eyeshadow palettes only. I've purchased 2 palettes and I feel like the pigmentation is not there for the lighter colors, especially for the crazy price! I heard the eyeshadow duos and singles tend to have better quality than the palettes, but never tried those. I think they should have the same quality in their palettes as they do in their duos/singles. They aren't cheap either!

carolang

(0) Hearts

OCC lip tars - too advanced for me as well, I'm a simple girl! Haha

Too faced - I like my boudoir palette... but there are some shades that I have to use fingers with or there will be no pigment (or at least my brush can't pick it up). Also a little sad the new version has a mirror, that is pretty annoying. It's hard to use a mirror on an eyeshadow duo but on a full size palette I find I do use it and didn't realize it until this!

Ole Henriksen - why oh why did I spend $45 on a mediocre moisturizer? Shoulda bought wild rose sleeping facial instead! Anyways, I got the 500 pt perk so tried out a few things... just nothing special to warrant the price point. I do like the blue/black berry mask though - it helps me in terms of moisture rather than exfoliation.

Hourglass - OK, I didn't like the powder I tried (luminous) not noticeable enough as a highlight and emphasized my pores on my cheeks. I am holding out til the blushes come in store but I would like to try them... we'll see...

chupi

(0) Hearts

I think that Stila and Smashbox are poor quality for the price.

Orgasm doesn't look good on me.

jjuli

(0) Hearts

I agree with all of you about Benefit not even one of their products lasted or were that good,,also the Hourglass

primers and  the Urban Decay liners didn't last at all and the Kat Von D liquid liner in black either...

YouAreAlways

All these Benefit hatters, breaking my heart!

chupi

(0) Hearts

I like Porefessional and the cream shadows. Also, One Hot Minute and Fine-One-One. Their tester lipsticks at Sephora are always gross, though.

quotidianus

(0) Hearts

I really hate bareMinerals, and I'm tired of SAs trying to push it onto me like it's a miracle.  Does not work on my skin, and colors do not work with my tone.  It's not the best thing ever ... for me.

marydiva

Benefit. I think the packaging is tacky and the only product I like that I've tried is Bad Gal Lash. 

UD 24/7 Eyeliners - they smudge like no other! I look like a deranged panda. 

OCC Lip Tars - Yes, they're crazy pigmented. Yes, they look FABULOUS on my BT sisters. But on me? They feather like crazy and I'm not talented enough to apply something that requires technique. Too clumsy! 

AKRinNY

I bought a bunch of the UD eye liners in old sets on sale, like the Black Market set from UD's site. Now that I'm finally using them, yeah, they smudge. Boo!

quotidianus

Thanks for my first laugh of the morning!  I think a panda, even though deranged, is likely still utterly adorable.

pnduh.jpg

DandyLionFluff

(0) Hearts

So cute, Panda Kitty!!'

marydiva

Hahahah awwwww what a cutie! :smileyvery-happy:

rauchelle

(0) Hearts

I hate the bareminerals foundations, both the original and the matte. and I totally agree with everyone about benefit - their packaging is cute, but that's about it. the porefessional is the only product from benefit that I haven't ended up returning!

Lproductaddict

Benefit, Clinique, Murad, Stila. Cracking up at how many aren't fond of these brands, either.

I feel better, though. I always thought "what's wrong with me?", since they all seem to be favorites of so many.

AlisG

(0) Hearts

Clinique.. anything. 
I remember buying a whole skincare regime from them that was supposed to be amazing for my skin (said the girl at the counter).. It all just made me break out constantly :smileysad: I just looked at ProperIntro's post and I'm thinking it's because there was gluten in it.  

MAC powerpoint eye pencil ,.. Maybe I just have ridiculously greasy eyelids.. But I'll put it on and wear it for 2 hours (longwearing!?) and all of a sudden I have a wonderful smudge along my eyelid.. then it just keeps going from there :smileysad: and I'm not sure if it's because of this but sometimes I get a headache, but when I wipe off my eye makeup I'm better. Is that a thing?

I also tried the Benefit Moon Beam complexion enhancer (it was a while ago so maybe it has changed) but it just left my face looking greasy and .. icky :/

I talked to one of my friends who works as a makeup artist for Nars today and he said that their stuff was gluten free but (again looking at ProperIntro's post) I'm guessing I have to look a little more carefully into that too now. 

ProperIntro

Benefit (just not my forte)

-Tarte (I don't like they consider themselves all gluten free but I think most of their stuff has gluten now like their amazonian clay foundations even though on their site it says GF-so I can't trust them anymore...) I am aware that they make fabulous products like their blushes and etc.

-Shiseido and Nars losing their gluten freeness but I will still risk in purchasing some of their products because I'm horrible)

Nars new releases are usually a hit or miss

-Chanel products are hit or miss...their brushes are scratchy (my mom had some and my Sephora Tokidoki ones were softer) 

-OCC the lip tars just like unappealing on me and I shouldn't need a primer) 

-Clinique losing their gluten free status and their skincare burns my face... 

-Neutrogena makeup wipes, burned my face ....

-Kat Von D eyeshadows, they blend out way too easily on me.

-Revlon lipstick (I forgot which line) I bought a bunch and the colors wouldn't come out evenly even though I saw raved reviews on the colors I picked.

-some of UD's old lipstick... (this was before I knew that they would get sick from gluten)..they would come out unevenly and lacked opaqueness 

-Stila 12 hour liquid lipstick wasn't even long lasting

-theBalm Stainiac was a failure

-Mac has a so many hits or misses with their new LE collections 

I could only think of that stuff right now

JayReed

LaciceeB18

The Naked foundation to me feels satin(y) and when you apply it, to me it gives you like a cooling feeling on your skin. It's hard to explain, but it just feels good on the skin! I would get a sample and see which one you prefer! :smileyhappy:

LaiceeB18

[ Edited ]

Just put the hello oxygen on and i think its a bit to yellow for me too. Will definitely look into naked skin!

Add on: And it is very wet and when I get up close it looks kinda cake-y. Granted my brushes were like $15 (Don't judge me) so that might have something to do with it... Or maybe I just have to much on.. not sure

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

Definitely agree with everyone who doesn't care for Benefit.  I have tried their products over and over because of the hype, and have only found ONE item I like: the BadGal mascara.  Flops by Benefit include Boi-ing concealer, one of their eyeshadows, brow pencil, powder, and eye liner.  Blech.

I really don't like my OCC lip tar, but I think mine is just really separated, honestly.

I also didn't like Guerlain meteorites (I know), Amazing Cosmetics concealer, Make Up For Ever HD Foundation,  or pretty much any color cosmetic item by Clinique.

JayReed

LaiceeB18 I did not like the Oxygen foundation for one, I have oily skin and it leaves a super dewy finish on me so at the end of the day it started to separate. I did like the lightness of it and the medium coverage.

The Naked Foundation I love! It's not too matte and not to dewy, it gives me medium to full coverage and the staying power for me is about 12-15 hours! My skin also has a brighter appearance even when I'm not wearing it.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 64 replies
  • 66 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • nikki
    • chupi
    • emmaclaire
    • marydiva
    • melisa16
    • ChicDabbler