What are some things makeup companies do that you don't like?

bittersweet86

What are some things makeup companies do that you don't like?

Ok now I don't want to try and start a bad thread but I thought it would be interesting to see what are some things people don't like about companies. Now I'm not talking about like animal testing or over photoshopped images stuff like that but more little things that just kind of get annoying after a while. 

For me it's a few things like example Mac (which I do love) always seem to come out with this little exclusive collections that are only online and the only way you find out about them is going on the site or from a email. The collections though end up being all permanent items that are already in their stores. Or another example was when Urban Decay came out with the Alice palette it was basically the same colors as another palette but with different names but they said it was new colors. 

So I guess when companies just flat out lie about a product annoys me. 

If this thread is not appropriate please let me know and I will delete it because I do not want to cause trouble or drama. ^_^ 

kd006

Re: What are some things makeup companies do that you don't like?

ALSO! I forgot this!

Okay Sunlabs self tanner says right on the front of the packaging "paraben free" but then when you look at the ingredients, there is a freaking paraben right on the list! Like why do you lie to me?!

Ugh.. That drove me nuts.. It isn't so much the fact that it had parabens (which does irritate me) but it was the fact that they lied about it on the front of the bottle.

ChicDabbler

Dislike companies that withhold ingredients list from me, RAWR. And the not telling anyone about the promo until the day before/of is rather inconvinient *shifty eyes*.

kenny

I believe they are trying to pass a new law that companies have to have full ingredient lists available online

ChicDabbler

Right now that's for sunscreen cuz FDA finally decide to take action. That was the reason why Jack Black revealed that their lip balm is more than just the 10 natural ingredients, with plenty of petroleum/paraben/lanolin just like any other drugstore lip balm. I feel so cheated. I did not know you are allowed to only have partial ingredients list.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I did not know that about Jack Black... 

* Shamefully decides to search for a new HG lip treatment :smileysad: 

kenny

I find false advertising really annoys me. I find the claims companies are allowed to make on cosmetics are ridiculous. Obviously I am smart enough to know the actual limitations of a product (I know a foundation will not last 24 hours), but they can still make that claim whereas most other types of products and such are very closely regulated as to what kind of claims that they make.

I also find super exclusive collections annoying. As you mentioned bittersweet86, they can be incredibly hard to track down and it really just puts me off. I don't mind if it's available for a limited time, but I would like to at least have a chance to get something

kenny

I also have to add that I get annoyed when companies seem to treat the customers like idiots. Kind of goes along with the false advertising, but it drives me bananas when companies use "big words", or "scientific" words to make their product sound better. They like to talk about efficacy and DNA for example without really telling me anything about their product and stating things that don't really make sense, like they think I will be conned by their "smart words".

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

arielaaaaaaaa

I think it's so hard to get because it got so popular, i think they should work on increasing the number in stock they have. 

DTalksAll

I always fall victim to the "LE" items that end up becoming permanent. Chanel in notorious for this! "Buy now! limited quantities... 3 months later it's permanent" 

I hate how MAC's LE lines sell out so quickly. From a business standpoint, they know their items are going to sell out. More product sold = more $$$. 

Flimsy packaging always bothers me. I'm obsessed with NARS lipglosses, but have to constantly clean my purse due to leakage. 

I know you said excluding animal testing, but I hate it when companies are deceptive about it. *** Cough! Sephora Cough! *** It's so annoying! If your products are sold in a country that requires animal testing, then your products are tested on animals. If you as a company want to see the process of animal testing ended, then STOP selling in China. Simple as that. 

I also hate a lot of drugstore product business practices (Mainly P&G). Everyone thinks Olay & Pantene are the most amazing products because it's in every magazine & every website raves about it. It's called mass marketing & paid reviews. I used to love Total Beauty for reviews, but lately if it's not a P&G product, you can't find any decent information about it. I have a friend who's an associate editor for Allure Magazine... I can't believe the product pushing companies do, some of it's borderline illegal. 

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I agree re: animal testing...it's such a murky issue, though, because sometimes even brands that state they are cruelty free sometimes are not, because it is difficult to guarantee that all ingredients, even way back in the initial formative stages (before being added to something else, etc.), were never tested on animals.

Benefit actually has an interesting statement about this, which I suppose is a good point: "Benefit is against cruelty to animals. It is our goal to be as transparent and honest with our customers as possible. We believe the "cruelty free" certifications provide unclear explanations to consumers, as it implies that none of the ingredients incorporated into products have ever been tested on animals. This is a nearly impossible certification for any cosmetic company to make. We prefer to be able to stand 100% behind our claims."

It just made me think...but who knows, maybe the certification is possible if it's a smaller company that is able to trace the sources of all ingredients?

kd006

You hit the spot with mass marketing! Do you watch youtube much?

Many companies give free products to the beauty gurus on yt and it drives me nuts! They constantly make videos about it. i swear if blair fowler mentions that simply human makeup mirror again I'm going to freak! And they act like they don't get paid by these companies, but you know they do!

Also, about the Nars, I love their packaging look but the packaging gets so dirty! Even if you touch it.. fingerprints everywhere! Concealer.. I have concealer all over the outside of the tube from my fingers.. I have to wipe it off everytime I use it.. Gahhh.

mityren

Agreed!  That stinking mirror is like $200+!! The Fowlers are really irritating me lately. I do love Bunnys Grav3yard girl channel. She seems honest so far anyway and I find her hilarious. 

kd006

(0) Hearts

I did unsubscribe from blairs videos because I'm so tired of her but I am going to stick around with elle because she's doing makeupMAYhem and if things don't get better with her channel I will unsub from her as well.

Spyski

Bunny is my fav, love her hyper ADHD-like personality!

DTalksAll

YES! And some bloggers too. At least they need to disclose the fact they got it for free, or it's a paid sponsored post. I know MAC has cut down on the amount of free products they send out now know bloggers are going to purchase the whole collection anyways. But I liked seeing the swatches ahead of time, knowing what I would potentially purchase. 

I go to blogs/vlogs for swatches & pretty pictures... forums is where I go for reviews and insight. 

kd006

I seriously have unsubbed to beauty gurus because they are product pushers and it drives me crazy.. I haven't gotten into blogs very much (really at all) because if I go online for reviews I just come on here.

mommyto4

I used to love MakeupByTiffanyD until she became a paid sponsor for MAC and Sigma and who knows who else.  Every time she does anything it's always with their products.  Even her fashion shout outs seem to have that I was paid to do this ring to them.  I can't stand her or her videos anymore.

I get that they may not ask for free stuff but shoving it down my throat when I just want to know how to do a simple make up look annoys me.

I start searching for less known gurus that have a couple hundred hits.  They are so refreshing.

kd006

(0) Hearts

UGH! Tiffany is the WORST about sigma!! I can't even handle it.. I do like lisasd09 or something like that.. She's amazing. She gets products sent to her a lot. She mentions it twice. Once when she hauls it and once when she reviews it. Then she only talks about it after that if she TRULY loves it. She's always so honest.. and she never pushes product on anyone. she does talk about this brush tree a lot though but you can tell it really is a product she loves because she uses it everyday.

jennypenny1995

Well said!  I agree 1325%!!

bittersweet86

(0) Hearts

Oh no I completely agree with the animal testing thing I just knew it was a bigger topic so didn't want to get into that or stuff like the whole photoshopped fake lash thing too ^_^

Yes flimsy packaging I hate that or too much packaging for what you get. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 67 replies
  • 100 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • sephoralovex