bittersweet86

What are some things makeup companies do that you don't like?

Ok now I don't want to try and start a bad thread but I thought it would be interesting to see what are some things people don't like about companies. Now I'm not talking about like animal testing or over photoshopped images stuff like that but more little things that just kind of get annoying after a while. 

For me it's a few things like example Mac (which I do love) always seem to come out with this little exclusive collections that are only online and the only way you find out about them is going on the site or from a email. The collections though end up being all permanent items that are already in their stores. Or another example was when Urban Decay came out with the Alice palette it was basically the same colors as another palette but with different names but they said it was new colors. 

So I guess when companies just flat out lie about a product annoys me. 

If this thread is not appropriate please let me know and I will delete it because I do not want to cause trouble or drama. ^_^ 

DTalksAll

Re: What are some things makeup companies do that you don't like?

(0) Hearts

Just thought of another...

When companies claim their product will "reduce pore size" There's a huge difference in reducing the appearance of pores & reducing the actual size of a pore. Then people who don't know any better write awful reviews of the product because it didn't shrink their pores. 

mityren

[ Edited ]

Companies that dont seem to appreciate my business burns me up.  Some companies act like they entitled to your business. No matter how much I like a companies products I will not shop with them if their service is bad.

sephoramusthave

I HAVE to add this...when companies change the formula of an already perfect item! I don't care if they change the packaging so long as the packaging is just as good or better than the last one, but when they ruin a formula by making it "better"

UGGHHH.

ayen85

(0) Hearts

i hate it when they reformulate a great product. My current HG foundation is the estee lauder light but upon checking reviews online everyone was saying that the "old" formula was a 100x better than the current one. Bummer! 

makeupobesessed

this probably isn't the same as the topic itself, but I hate it when I buy a product (or anything for that matter) and it goes on sale a few days later, I feel like they could've told me if a big sale was coming if they knew. I hate when I go to a store and buy something and somewhere else it's cheaper, and not just because of a sale.  

I also really dislike something being out of stock forever, and it seems as if its coming back, but then it doesn't.  

I also don't like when the prices are different online than in store For the same company.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

When they discontinue a really good item >_< OR when they jack up the prices all the time (NARS...I'm looking at you!)

Also, when companies take FOREVER to restock an item (hello KVD lock it tattoo? I went into Sephora yesterday because they had a sign by that foundation that said that it would be in stock at the end of MARCH, well still all out and the sales woman said that it would be in at the end of MAY now...)

bittersweet86

(0) Hearts

Yes I hate when they jack up the price. Like when OCC liptars were first started getting big (before sephora sold them) they were like $12 and that was about a year ago and now they're up to $18. :smileysad:

I hate when companies say they're going to restock and never do too. Like Mac during the Marilyn Monroe collection they said they would restock online and never did then the collection was gone because it was a limited one.  

mafan

(0) Hearts

Just FYI, I noticed in e-mail from Macy's today that you could signup for notice when the MAC Marilyn Monroe collection is released again.  It sounds like it might be exclusively through them.  I don't know anything about their stuff or details, but it's worth checking out.

I agree with the making things exclusive/really limited for no good reason.  I understand that some things are seasonal, but making things impossible to get is pointless!

carrierose

I hate when they say something "solves 5 problems" and then the
problems" are all synonyms for each other, or close enough, like "dryness," "flakiness," "peeling."

katie1724

I'm with Kenny; false (or misleading) advertising really gets me. I think my no. 1 grievance is with anti-aging claims, many of which are just ridiculous. If you read the language carefully, it's so creative -- it suggests promises, but doesn't actually make them. I just think coonsumers pour money into products, expecting a miracle that never comes (because it can't, scientifically speaking). My other pet peeve is mascara ads, which are out of control. Now there is actually fine print in a lot of them (such as "Model is wearing lash enhancements (read: falsies) in addition to mascara," etc. -- but a mascara cannot give you false eyelashes. Some are amazing -- YSL Faux Cils actually gives me a faux cils-LIKE effect, but even that is not a substitute for actual falsies...

I'm sure there are many more, but these are two that immediately come to mind. :smileytongue:

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

-

prettyinpa

Oh, yessss! In a lot of cases the reformulated item actually works worse and you wonder if they only did this to save themselves money and they actually couldn't care that the product is a pale imitation of what it was.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

I'm also very disappointed that makeupbytiffanyd is doing fewer tutorials and more fashion and home hauls/OOTDs.  She is so talented and just isn't hitting it anymore!

mommyto4

(0) Hearts

It just seems like when they hit their peak these gurus get greedy or something.  And they lose such a huge portion of their base because of it.  I only started watching videos off and on for the last 2 years and so many have lost the niche that caught my attention in the first place.  I don't have any hope for MakeupByTiffanyD, she will continue to pretend she shops at the drugstore and really be at Henry Bindle.  I can no longer relate to that.  And that is really important to me (relating).

bittersweet86

(0) Hearts

True it is sad she's doing fewer tutorials but hopefully with her finally getting settled into her new house she will post more...or we can hope ^_^

poemelyric

Just a general "I hate..." but I hate that Kat Von D releases a perfume and then 3 months later, it's discontinued.  Why even bother? 

bittersweet86

(0) Hearts

Yes and that is why I had to buy at least the roller ball as soon as I saw them because who knows if they would even be there next time. Oh well at least I like them but sad I can't get a new one when it runs out. 

prettyinpa

@poemelyric-  I hate that too!  My other peeve with discontinued products is just when you find your absolute favorite foundation or some other staple product that matches your skintone, is long lasting, stays true to color, etc., the company stops making it! Then you have to go on the hunt again!  I can see changing up shadow colors and things like that, but not staples like foundation or mascara.

katie1724

This is so true -- and not even limited to beauty products! I can think of favorite foods (yogurt brands, cereal, etc.), jeans, even underwear (haha) that were discontinued and I always try to hoard what I can if I know in advance :smileyhappy:

prettyinpa

Underwear, yep!  I absolutely love the Victoria Secret Body By Victoria microfiber undies because they are wicking, which is great for exercise and really hot sweltering summer days, and now they don't make them anymore.  The ones they have now give me a wedgie! :smileysad:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 67 replies
  • 100 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • sephoralovex