carlyanne

What are some must haves for wedding makeup?

What are some products that are great for wedding makeup / photography? 

carlyanne

Re: What are some must haves for wedding makeup?

(0) Hearts

I'm still stuck on the powder but am leaning toward the MUFE HD finishing powder or the smashbox photo set powder-- so far I did a semi-trial with just my foundation to check how it appeared with flash photos and it wasn't white at all but super oily- ick! 

Thank you so much your response was super helpful! :smileyhappy:

jennypenny1995

Go watch Lisa Eldridge's bridal video on YouTube.  She is amazing and has done covers for Cindy Crawford, Kate Winselet's, Keira Knightly, etc.  very knowledgeable!

carlyanne

(0) Hearts

Thank you! I will definitely check this out!

brittieeee

dior.jpg

ABSOLUTELY Waterproof Mascara.  Dior's Diorshow Black Out Waterproof Mascara is a favorite and bestseller!  The Rich Black color is dramatic and elegant.  WaterproofWaterproofhttp://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=DIOR%20Diorshow%20Black%20Out%20Waterproof%20Masca...

Blotting Papers!  Any Brand can easily fit in a pocket or purse, you just dab on the face to wipe away the all the oil and shine off the face that comes with the stressful day!         http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=BOSCIA%20Blotting%20Linens%20P61217&skuId=1...

lylysa

In regards to SPF, check out this thread, it's covered why/how a reflective cast can be produced if working with mineral based sunscreens or mineral based make up:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/I-need-help-figuring-out-what-is-wrong/td-p/514023

Silica/HD powders help to mask the issue it can cause.

Also, as a photography note, avoid taking photos outdoors during peak afternoon hours when sun is at its highest, this can cause harsh shadows since the sun is directly above you, and unless the photographer has an assistant with some diffusing or reflector panels, you could run into some issues. Right as the sun is rising or setting is great as natural light will still be present, but be low enough to not cause as many issues with shadows.

carlyanne

thank you for that post! I've been doing a ton of researching & talking to people about the whole spf thing! I've been debating what powder to get because I have the most oily skin ever & want to make sure I get one that won't photograph white or washed out with a flash. 

placaminero

[ Edited ]

Guerlain Meteorites!!! If you want to look ethereal, I'd definitely invest in the light diffusing primer and the perles du paradise.

And absolutely NO SPF that day!

mafan

Also, be careful of SPF in your makeup, as it can affect pictures. I don't know if a tinted finishing powder can help with that but I do like Hourglass' Ambient Lighting Powder a lot. 

You might have someone take pictures of you on a makeup trial run just to make sure that the colors come out nicely. 

placaminero

(0) Hearts

Hearts for simultaneously warning against the woes of SPF in photos!

lylysa

1. Primer, it'll prep skin for product, prevent your make up from settling into areas (such as fine lines, pores, dry areas, area of uneven texture, wrinkles, etc.), prevent your make up from fading/sliding off due to sweat/environmental conditions/oil/dryness, keep product true to shade and wear better (especially true for eyes). Check out brands like MUFE, Smashbox, Urban Decay, and Too Faced for great foundation and eye shadow primer options.

2. High definition/silica based setting/finishing powder, a true stand by and staple for photography, spherical silica particles layered thinly on skin help to bend and diffuse light around skin and any minor imperfections to give skin a more flawless and smooth look. Use a fine amount with a fan brush or stippling brush swept onto skin or if using a large/traditional powder brush, swirl some onto the brush and press and roll it onto skin. No need to buff it on like traditional powder as it's meant to lay on top rather than be worked into the skin. MUFE, Smashbox, Tarte, Urban Decay, and Too Faced make great HD powder options.

3. Waterproof mascara, even if you don't want to only coat lashes with it, layer a good waterproof formula over your normal/favorite formula to give some insurance to lashes on your big day so tears won't ruin any photo ops. My hands down favorite is Urban Decay's Cannonball, I've showered and had water running over my face and it didn't come off even after rubbing my face and towel drying it off.

4. Setting spray, just like waterproof mascara, setting sprays are like added insurance added as a last/finishing step. It preserves make up, helps it last even longer, and seals in every step that you took the time to complete and have it done right. It's great for protecting against environmental factors as well. MUFE, Urban Decay, and Kat Von D make great ones!

5. Lip stain/longwear lip color, aside from saving time and preventing the hassle of having to reapply color throughout the night/event, lip stains/long wear colors also stay put and won't end up all on silverware, glasses, or on your groom. Tarte, YSL, Bite, and MUFE make some to look into.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • carlyanne
    • jennypenny1995
    • lylysa
    • mafan
    • brittieeee
    • placaminero