GothGirl00

What age do you think is best to start wearing makeup? :3 Advice Please!

My mom thinks 16 ( that's also the age for having a bf, or so she says) and she won't even let me use a little. i know I don't need make up to be beautiful, but I think many women feel more confident when wearing. I also know most girls in my school use at least mascara.  So what do you think?

LuckyWinter

Re: What age do you think is best to start wearing makeup? :3 Advice Please!

Personally from seeing many girls way too young to wear makeup or seeing girls wearing makeup when they don't need to, I would say around 16 - 1., I would only wear makeup if I had skin conditions or something to hide, If you have nothing to hide then I feel like there is not really any reasons to wear makeup, yes to enhance but in general makeup is worn to hide flaws. Example, blemishes, hyper pigmentation etc. Eye makeup is fine, but many young girls do the error to wear neon / colores eyeshadows or too dark eyeshadow, or too much eyeliner, but then again we all have our styles! Im also not saying that there is anything wrong with it, but its one of the top makeup error that I see, because I feel like it doesn't suit someone young.

But then again, if you feel like you are good with makeup, and it looks natural (Because that's what everybody is trying to do nowadays) Then go for it!

person11

You should absolutely respect your mom, but you should also get a chance to play at some point.  I think it's okay to start learning application techniques at 14-15 and exploring brands and products even if you're not actually wearing makeup to school.  Maybe you could ask your mom for a mini-makeover for your birthday?  Or would she allow you to try something out just at home one weekend?  If you still consider yourself goth in a couple years, you will definitely want some good makeup artistry skills!  Goth makeup can either look amazing or awful.  The goth girls in my high school had terrible makeup.  Truly tragic.

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

I started wearing a little bit at 13 basicilly I wore a little lip gloss some eye shadow and mascara only on special occasion. At 16 I wore everything! 

missey1973

(0) Hearts

My mom didn't set a make up age for me. I just learned the hard way. At about 11 I got some makeup from a friend (she had an older sister we snuck it from). We use to love to put makeup on each other. Well one day we decided to wear it to school. Now this was in the 80's when blue eye shadow was the thing and let me tell you we had it on. We went to school that day and all the older kids made fun of us. I learned that make is something you grow into. You need to learn the right amount and how to put it on. I only have boys but if I had girls I wouldn't mind them wearing things like lip gloss and soft eyeshades until they were older. Like a lot of people have said, skin care is more important.

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

Yeh is till dont get the skincare thing, I know that means washinto your face, etc. but could you give me some more info?

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

Wow, then you didn't touch make up until older right? XD it's okay to learn from mistakes xD   

kenny

I think it is best to respect you mother's wishes, 16 is a reasonable age to start wearing makeup. You may be able to talk to her about just easing you way in, with some tinted lip balms, or lipgloss.

I actually started fairly early wearing makeup, but I always stuck to fairly neutral shades and products. At 12-13 I basically just wore lipglosses and sometimes a bit of nude eyeshadow (not sure why I did, it was basically invisible...). At 13 I got my first job so I was able to support my makeup wants. So at 14 I expanded into more eyeshadows (sheer, shimmery shades) and some tinted moisturizer. It wasn't until high school that are started wearing more, since I got acne. Overall while I was in grade school I kept everything pretty natural, my mother honestly didn't really know I wore or loved makeup that much until I was 17 and started to get more adventurous (and my more obvious, very hard to hide, stash).

If it is something you really want, you can talk it out with her and hear her concerns. She probably is just worried about you relying on it or being one of those young girls with racoon eyes (I'm not sure why, but there is always those tweens that just go for as much black eyeliner as they can, when they get their hands on some makeup). But I do agree 16, isn't an unreasonable age to wear makeup

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

Thank you for making your points, I'm treacly glad it worked well for all of you guys c: And yea, my mom hasn't had a civilized chat but she did mentioso that I would wear a lot of black eyeliner, means so,  darker look ( I wear all or mostly black) but its whatever makes me comfortable, I guess I'll just have to wait to find out xD

shellyhb

(0) Hearts

My daughter started at 13, she got my crap skin and the boys and popular girls at her school decided to be horrible people and use her blemishes as an excuse to call her ugly and just tear into her and make her cry daily this last school year. Makeup was a LAST resort though we tried all sorts of skin care stuff first which really didn't help as much as we hoped. she ended up doing concealer, foundation, power and nude gloss, It helped her confidence a LOT. Luckily this year shes grouped with different kids and feels NO need for makeup to hide her blemishes though she still rocks some gloss every now and then. Had my daughter been blessed with nice skin, she wouldn't have had any makeup till 16.

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

That's so cruel :c to gang up on her , so sad. I mean, I don't really want to wear make up because  I'm insecure, I actually have a FTW attitude or I don't care attitude, just thought make up could be a way to express oneself. So sorry about your daughter. /.\

ghkim

i think tinted lip balm and lipgloss (without too much pigment) is reasonable to wear around 13 or so. i think much more than that looks bizarre on someone so young. i tend to agree with your mom that 16 seems like a reasonable age to start wearing a modest amount of makeup. special occasions are a different story - i think you should be able to wear a little more at weddings, homecomings, etc. its not a bad idea to start a skincare regimen at around that age too.

annonymous1

[ Edited ]

i started wearing makeup on a regular basis when i was like 15, there wasn't really a need for me too until my skin got bad, i would wear foundation from MAC (which wasn't a good decision, mac is notorious for pore-clogging makeup) and mascara, i didn't need to wear more until i was like 16 in high school, where you experiment with other products and you eventually find something to put into your routine. 

i think if you wanted to get into wearing makeup you should start with lipgloss, mascara, and either a light foundation or tinted moisturizer, and over time you can ease your way into eyeliner, brow stuff etc. 

i mean you don't want to be that girl in school who is 13-14 who wears more makeup then everyone else, and to answer your question, YES some women do feel more confident with makeup, but its because most of the time they don't like the way they look without it, if you train yourself to love your face with very minimal makeup youll always look and feel beautiful :smileyhappy:

but most importantly keep a good skincare routine, i wish i could have told myself that back then, but its so important to take care of your skin when your young. 

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

Yeah I guess it's good to start with the smallest and work your way up. I mean, there are some girls who use those brows that you draw ( I'm sorry I forgot what it's called but they basically have no brows, ) and I think ' what happened?' I do pluck my eyebrows, I thought it was funny how meye borrows make me look mad xD    You know ... I'm young, I don't know much about skincare.. So.. Care to fill me in a little? :3

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

I 2nd the skincare. I can't even remember what i washed my face with, all i know is that it use to be super oily! lol. i would have told myself to focus on a cleanser and moisturizer. though i didn't really wear much besides mascara and gloss, and really get into it until college

kittichick

(0) Hearts

Personally, I think 13 or 14 is fine, but just a little. Maybe a BB/CC, tinted lip balm/lip gloss, mascara.

I remember when I was in high school, there was this girl who had bad acne, but instead of trying to treat it, she wore a LOT of makeup to try to cover it. It was not well-received. 

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

wow :c I mean, I do have acne but I don't try to hide it

bratknits

I don't think 16 is unreasonable, sounds about the time my mother took me to the Estee Lauder counter at Jordan Marsh to get my first few things.  The "all the other girls are doing it" is the worst argument you could possibly make and if one of my girls came at me with "the women on the cosmetics store boards said this" the response wouldn't be positive.  Also, if you aren't confident without out, you aren't going to be really going to be confident with it.  That kind of confidence is very fragile and easy to see through.  In the end it's your mom's call, the only thing you can do is decide that risking a breach of trust and potential consequences is worth it to you.  

person11

(0) Hearts

Ha, my mom took me to Estee Lauder, too!  That seems like such an "old lady" line for a teenager now, but that foundation really was awesome for covering my zits.

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

thenE then fido you think I should have a chat with her? I've tried but the answer  was no to every sentence I said xD 

kellsmuneoka

(0) Hearts

I started using makeup when I was around 10, but I wouldn't wear it out. If I did it would probably lipstick. I'm starting to wear it a lot more now (I'm 15) , but even when I was 15 I'd wear mascara and eyeshadow. It really depends on your parents.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 50 replies
  • 17 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • kenny
    • akaber
    • marydiva
    • aviscardi
    • annonymous1
    • roxystar4