GothGirl00

What age do you think is best to start wearing makeup? :3 Advice Please!

My mom thinks 16 ( that's also the age for having a bf, or so she says) and she won't even let me use a little. i know I don't need make up to be beautiful, but I think many women feel more confident when wearing. I also know most girls in my school use at least mascara.  So what do you think?

roxystar4

Re: What age do you think is best to start wearing makeup? :3 Advice Please!

I think 16 is not too unreasonable. I think high school (9th grade) is a good time though (14 or 15?) for simple makeup - mascara, lipgloss, concealer.

Some people have acne and if my daughter were 14 and had acne I would def let her use concealer (and work with her on a good skincare routine).

Also, I think you are very wise not to use makeup if you aren't allowed to. It's not worth severing your mom's trust over something small like this

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

9th grade doesn't sound too bad c: what's waiting three more years till 16 anyway ? xD aw, that's sweet. But my mom is a little awkward with those things like shaving,etc.  like when I went to vacation to my grandma's house for a month ( she lives in another country) and when my mom came to pick me up, I had plucked my eyebrows myself xD, she was shocked but said I did a pretty nice job. 

midnightangel

(0) Hearts

Well I'm a bit different. I grew up in performing arts and have been wearing makeup since age 5.

For me it's not about confidence or any such rot. It's about being in control of the image I want to present. Different people have different boundaries for that.

If your mom is super uptight and not ok with you wearing makeup until you're 16, then 1.) don't wear makeup until you're 16, or 2.) don't wear makeup around her until then.

Generations of girls before you have left the house looking the way their parents wanted only to change into "themselves" once they got to school or wherever they were going. It sounds like you'll have to be one of these if you want to wear makeup before your mother thinks it's ok.

Just remember to change back into the "parent-approved" version of you before you go home.

Just being real.

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

My friend does that xD she users blue mascara at school and takes it off during locker room PE wich is the last period, oh how I envy her xD  True, but even I fewer to buy something, my parents are very uptight when it comes to the time I spend out of my house if its not school. I barely go to my friend's houses :c

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

For me it was high school.  As soon as I started high school I was allowed to wear make up to school.  Jr high I could wear lip gloss, but that was it.  

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

I really have to think back. but i think i agree with 16. The longer your skin breathes without makeup is probably the best. Even most of the young YT are around 15-17. But i think back 10years ago the girls didn't really wear the kind of makeup that they do now. I feel like we wore maybe a loose powder and mascara and that definitely wasn't a daily thing, most likely just for special events at school. I think the most we wore was like a clear lip gloss or the sparkly ones from VS & BBW. 

kelsey808

(0) Hearts

I started experimenting with makeup at an early age (around 10) since that's when I first started cheering competitively, but didn't start wearing it to school until I was 14 (at that time just eyeliner). I think I was wearing full face makeup around my 16th birthday. Honestly I wish I held off with the foundation and heavier makeup products because I felt like I always had to wear it after that.. but it's different for everyone! I think you should be able to wear whatever you feel comfortable and confident in at whatever age!

ragdoll4mom

Just remember.... modest is hottest!  Use everything in moderation.

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

I won't use unless I'm allowed to c:

Candy357

(0) Hearts

Well I hate to go against your mothers wishes, since many moms have different opinions.

I started at 13, well I think I did start using lip gloss like at 11, it all began with the period, that's how my mom based it on.

Because she did the whole you're a woman now thing. :smileytongue: And in poured in all the women stuff!

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

lol it's fine xD , I disagree with most of my family's teachings anyway :smileytongue: I started my period when I was 11/ almost 12 and she just kind off fled -_- , c: that's great!

nhunka

(0) Hearts

Also I wanted to add one more thing. Its better not to use too much makeup as you and people who see you get used the the way you look with makeup. But at the end of the day when you take off your makeup you may feel that you are not pretty without it. (Especially if you use foundation and lots of eyeshadow). And when people dont see you with makeup they think you got sick. So take it easy on makeup and enjoy your natural beauty. 

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

Wow that is so true, I normally won't notice the difference at all because my friends don't use a whole lot. My mom will wear dark eyeshadow occasionally 

nhunka

(0) Hearts

Hmm thats a very good question!

I started wearing eyeliner when i was 13. Then i also added mascara to my beauty regimen. Then when i turned 16 i stopped wearing mascara as i wanted to look more natural but still used a little bit of neutral eyeshadow.

I would say as long as you keep it look natural and neat and not too flashy 13 is a good age to start using makeup (just mascara and maybe a bit of neutral eyeshadow). 

I try to take it easy on mascara as using it daily will damage your lashes and they will fall out. Lipstick is however a nice thing to wear anytime. 

But the most important thing is to take good care of your skin so that it stays healthy and you have confidence walking barefaced. If you have good skin you dont really need makeup! 

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

I've wanted to wear some, but my mom won't let me. I understand though c:

nhunka

I am sure you mom wishes the best for you. Maybe she is afraid you will turn like many other teenagers who are (pardon my french) trashy **bleep** before they are even in high school. They only care about makeup boyfriends and getting tickets for Biebers concerts. You will have plenty of time to wear.makeup. I am twenty and have only recently discovered the joys of using lipsticks and powders.

Be yourself and you will suceed. Follow others and you are a sheep. 

Sorry for the rant :3

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

Not at all!! I locked the wary you explained it c:    Probably she is, after my first boyfriend ( which I broke up with not very long after) I discovered that being single was incredible and I liked it ALOT BETTER! Im more of a hit and run kind of girl :smileywink: kidding! I hate those people, they wouldn't lift a finger to help someone in need tout would break someone's heart to get what they want ( exaggeration *.* ) , and nope. I don't specially 'like' Justin Bieber , I listen to hard rock bands. Point.

marydiva

(0) Hearts

I remember wearing mascara and eyeliner in 8th grade, but I didn't wear really anything else until I was 15 when I discovered what foundations, etc can do. 

Just know, in the long run it doesn't really matter. You're beautiful the way you are. :smileyhappy: So take a deep breath and be yourself. 

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

Thanks! C:

akaber

(0) Hearts

I think you should wait on makeup as long as you can. Putting products on your skin will clog your pores and age you. You have to take care of your skin because it needs to last you a lifetime. If you put on makeup for a special occasion, make sure you take it off before going to bed. You don't want to look like you are 40 years old when you are only 25. At school, your mom is right, you don't need to wear makeup on a daily basis. Let your inner beauty shine. That is what will give you the confidence. Also, always use high quality products. And watch out for expiration dates too. I sound just like your mother, I bet!

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

I started wearing makeup at 13, but have playing around with it since around 10? I don't know, my mom was never strict about makeup and just wanted me to feel good about myself

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 50 replies
  • 17 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • kenny
    • akaber
    • marydiva
    • aviscardi
    • annonymous1
    • roxystar4