Jessithediva

Weight loss tips??

Hey guys! So i'm 13 years old, about 5'4 and 124 pounds. I just kinda want to lose a few pounds cuz y'all probs know how hard it is to be even the slightest bit "bigger" in this society. I'm not like fat or anything but losing the weight wouldnt hurt. My boyfriends pretty supportive of it. I'm generally active... I do cross country therefore I run everyday. Please answer soon i'd really appreciate it. 

xoxo,

Jessi 

Jengeravenger

Re: Weight loss tips??

Hey Beautiful,

I am a registered and licensed dietitian (nutritionist). Did you know that you're weight is normal? Your weight is healthy. If you lost weight, you could be classified as underweight which is not healthy for a young lady at your age. A lot of things will change for you in the next few years. Keep exercising and eat healthy foods! You're gorgeous and don't need to lose a pound! Remember that!

shortstuff07

(0) Hearts

If you run everyday, you don't need to lose weight.  Sounds like you're 124 pounds of muscle, of which there is nothing wrong with.  

neko333

[ Edited ]

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum I'm 5'7 and stay at about 100 pounds. before anyone say's anything I have no disorders and I eat constantly. By all medical standards I am considered to be unhealthy. The women in my family are all just simply made this way. Everyone has a different definition of healthy. At 13 you really shouldn't be worrying about this. It's important for girls and women to understand that you will never be perfect. That's not to say not to dress nice or take care of yourself but the stress will do more harm than good. You will get picked at no matter what. A lot of people don't realize that people like me catch a lot of criticism for being the other extreme. It's no fun to be called "fat" but it's also not fun for people to say you're "anorexic" either. This is why you just shouldn't worry about it since you are already athletic.Most of the weight is probably muscle. I put on 20 pounds of muscle one time because I weight trained during P.E. class. Ironically my weight went up but my body became denser and smaller. 

eboneezer

Same here, I'm 5'7 and I'm 115...I'm thin like my grandmother who is 5'11 and 130. We always get made fun of in our family for being that way it sucks. 

Everyone has different bodies, and they are all good bodies to me.

crayzeeRN

This is absolutely true, Neko. People don't realize how hurtful it can be to be told that you look anorexic or that you need to "go eat a cheeseburger." 

jojobe

Thank you Neko for pointing out the other end of the spectrum. My almost 15 year old daughter  is going through this right now and honestly we eat clean and no GMO's and only natural meat. She eats more than a teenage boy and is still only 100 lbs. Girls got jealous of her body and were calling her anorexic to the point we had to contact the school. It is sad when a thin child has self esteem issues.  Love your body if you are doing the right things to take care of it.  

neko333

You're welcome. I always feel awkward when I say anything about how both extremes take criticism. I feel like a lot of people don't realize it and think I'm being a crybaby but it still hurts a lot of peoples self esteem just the same. That's kind of why I get irritated at all these real women campaigns. Not because I think that showing bigger models is bad but because they stigmatize being skinny. They treat it like there has to be something wrong with you to be that way. Just like there are all these weight loss pills and diets they have started to advertise the weight gain supplements as well. I don't think girls should stress themselves to look either way as long as they are healthy. I like being my size and I don't think others should compare themselves to me and make themselves feel bad, but I also don't think they should make me feel bad because I don't look like them. 

txmommyofboys

No need to "diet" Just eat healthy and continue to be active. That is how I got fit! 

gingerblack

(0) Hearts

Yeah I would completely ignore the scale. You probably have a lot of muscle from running everyday. Regardless, I would really like to point out that trying to loose weight can become pretty dangerous psychologically, especially at your age. For example, if your happiness is contingent on weight loss it can turn into a pretty harmful thing. However, there isn't anything wrong with having a goal to loose a healthy amount of weight and be healthier, as long as that is just it. 

I also don't think there are that many healthy tips for weight loss other then eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and getting exercise. You just need to make sure you are eating some dairy, whole grains, fruits, veggies, and lean meat. You could try yoga or pilates or something. I think those build more lean muscle then running which kind of bulks you up, if that is the look you are going for. 

I know it is really hard to be the slightest amount bigger but I really encourage you to see past our societies ideals on weight. It is so impractical for the majority of people and dangerous! Your body has an individual ideal weight that it will generally fluctuate to anyway. Self-confidence is much sexier than trying to fit beauty standards!

itscarin

(0) Hearts

You're 13… don't worry about a diet!  Just try to stay away from the worst kinds of junk foods, like soda, doughnuts, etc.  Even then, you should treat yourself to that sometimes, just not all the times.  

If you want to be healthier, see about eating more veggies, making sure you get enough protein, and getting lots of fiber, too.  Although you run every day, you might want to ask your coach about doing some weight training.  If you did more weights that could tighten you up, but also muscle weighs more than fat so expect that your weight could stay the same or even go up.

missey1973

I am a mom and I have to say that at 13 eating healthy is all you should be worrried about. Your body will change a lot over the next few years. And at 13, your boyfriend should not even be thinking about your body.

marydiva

(0) Hearts

Hey Jessi!

Now, I can totally sympathize. I remember being 13 and freaking out because all of a sudden I weighed over 100 pounds. I remember exercising, "dieting" and just generally obsessing over my weight. I was only about 5'2 at the time.

Guess what though? Messing with my weight totally screwed up my periods. I started having periods 2x a month because of the immense stress my body was going through.

I'm 5'4 now and 110 pounds. I don't workout (although I should to build muscle) and I try to eat healthy - but I also indulge in potato chips a lot. (Guilty pleasures.) Now, before you go and think that 110 is an acceptable weight - understand my body type.

My bra band size is 28. They don't even MAKE bras that tiny. My bones are super small and my frame is VERY petite. I also don't have a bit of muscle on me. Plus, I'm a vegetarian.

124 is DEFINITELY a healthy weight because everyone has a different body type. PLEASE for the love of God, don't mess with your weight. You don't want to end up with double periods like I had. It's literally the worst thing ever. Eat healthy and you'll be fine.

neko333

(0) Hearts

A 28 band? I need a 24........ They do make 28's though they are just expensive (though I understand that you could mean the major retailers don't make them that small) . 

BeautyLove02

(0) Hearts

Wow..I'm 5'4 and weigh 124 pounds too. I never thought of myself as a little bit "bigger". Nothing wrong with wanting to be healthier though. I've heard lots of fruits/veggies are good for keeping you full. Apples especially. If you have a YMCA near you, they can actually be pretty fun to work out at. They have an indoor swimming pool and tennis courts, so its not all boring gym equipment. On a side note, you're 13 so you are going to get taller and grow more. My daughter is 13 about to be 14 and she has grown a LOT in the past year (almost an inch!) and is still growing. She had a little baby fat and since she has grown taller, she is almost too skinny now.

IttyxBittyxMe

To back up the point to not support the BMI chart, my boyfriend is a fighter and as such knows other body builders, fighters, etc. He has a friend who is 200+ lbs of nothing but muscle, not an inch of fat on him at all, with a nice triangle shaped torso [nice big shoulders, then goes down into the super tonde abs]. But on the BMI chart he is classified as being either obese or morbidly obese, can't remember which, and cannot get insurance to cover him. This is a man who got hit by a car and he dented the car, but is considered obese.

Do not, by any means ever, trust the BMI chart. Weight is tricky to as it looks different on different people. I am 5'0 lbs and 125 lbs [It's like 121 right now, but 125 is my max weight so far]. I wear a size 0-1 in dresses and 1-3 in jeans, but when I tell people my weight they're just like 'how?' but by just looking at me they'd believe it. It's my body type. I've got a very muscular looking upper body and muscular thighs for whatever reason [I am a floor potato who loves the computer and Tumblr]. Picture provided for reference, I have on heels, I am not this tall.   

227509_2096386407877_2907680_n.jpg

Take this image for example, all of these women are the same weight but their heights and body type make it look different. The BMI chart will classify one as being overweight and the other as perfectly healthy. 

150lbs.jpg 

Do not diet, don't worry about losing weight or trying to fit into what ever society thinks. Just keep doing what ever you're doing and focus on being healthy

marydiva

Girl! You are so beautiful! You and your boyfriend make a gorgeous couple. And I totally love your dress!

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

Off topic alert!

You look STUNNING in that dress!!

LindenAnn

(0) Hearts

I actually laughed when I read this, because I got hit by a car a few weeks ago. I didn't actually dent it, but everyone was freaking out and I was like "um...I think I might get a bruise on my thigh?"

I think we might have the same body type. I'm about 2 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier than you, but no one ever believes me when I tell them how much I weigh either. Do you find it really hard to get shirts to fit right over your shoulders and biceps?

IttyxBittyxMe

Well yay to the fact that you're ok!

Yes. ;_; Getting them on is the hardest part of my day [which would be why I don't like long sleeved shirts] because it feels extra tight and I have to do a lot of extra pulling. Mean while internally I'm just thinking 'Don't rip it, don't rip it, oh God I'm going to rip it.' while trying on shirts in stores. 

LindenAnn

(0) Hearts

I actually busted the strap of a tank top when trying it on once. I unobtrusively put it back at the bottom of the pile thinking "no one notice...no one notice..."

>.<

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 55 replies
  • 140 hearts
  • 44 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • itscarin
    • nathaliew
    • marydiva