drrragon

Wayne Goss Brushes at Beautylish!

[ Edited ]

Has anyone been waiting for Wayne Goss (gossmakeupartist) brushes?  He previewed them briefly on youtube and now beautylish has close-up photos available.  It says they'll be arriving in September but doesn't give an exact date.  The brushes look gorgeous but they're pretty pricey.  I guess considering they're hand-made by artisans in Japan they're quite a steal, but I was hoping to get the entire set and now I'm not sure.

gem5136

Re: Wayne Goss Brushes at Beautylish!

The WG thrushes are soo worth it IMO, with maybe the exception of the #1 brush (it's just alright). My absolute must haves of the collection are the #2.#4,#6. These brushes can't even be compared to sigma and Mac they are in a whole different class. They're very comparable to my hokuhodo and suqqu and compared to the price of those brushes these are a steal. I've even heard rumors that hokuhodo manufactures the brushes as they do for other brands including TomFord. 

drrragon

argh, you guys are making me want to buy the whole set!!  When I first checked it out I was all "NO WAI!!!!!", I guess because I was expecting something like Real Techniques.....but thanks to your glowing reviews....I reeeaaallllly wanna try these.  Plus Wayne Goss is just so awesome! :smileyvery-happy:

Kiki1517

Go for it :smileywink: 

I used #3 and #4 yesterday, they really are like Hakuhodo if you have any of those to compare them to.

aviscardi

the only brushes i am interested in are 4, and 6. last i checked they were OOS. Does beautylish charge snh> or is it over $25, ive never ordered from them before. I really want to try some Hakuhodo brushes, specifically the eye brushes since they're more affordable. But you can't return them if you open it, and their snh is expensive so im holding off for now.

Kiki1517

I usually order enough that it's free but it's really affordable, I think snh is only like $5 and like I said, they have always processed within an hour, ships out the same day, and I get my package within 2 days and that is unheard of for me. Yeah I was really disappointed that I didn't read that Hakuhodo is final sale. I love the eye brushes but I bought one of the face brushes that Temptalia has on her most used brushes list that was $60 and I hate it :/ Expensive mistake.

sulfate

I have 1, 3, 5, 6 and 8.  

I should have listened to Ghkim, because #1 is the only one I don't like.  I have dry and ultra sensitive skin so it's just too rough for me to use.  I need to put that in perspective though because I'm a freak when it comes to soft anything.   For example, I would never use the MAC 217 because on my eyes it feels like a broom :smileyhappy:   I have tried the Tom Ford brushes, but I think the WG brushes are softer, although I didn't do a side by side comparison.  The TFs were really nice but I was not tempted to buy any.  The big bronzer brush was appealing and probably nicer than most but I have a softer one I much prefer.  I really wanted the TF cream foundation brush to be the one but I could still feel just a few stiff hair that bothered me. I felt like it would just kick up my dry skin too.  

Some quick comparisons..  

The only things I have that are softer are Suqqu and the WG are really really close.  

I have the Laura Mercier pencil brush which is fairly soft but I think the WG is softer.  

I was using the Trish Mcevoy eyeliner brush and just dumped it for the WG #8 which is so much finer and softer.

I don't have direct comparisons but I have some other Trish brushes that don't seem so great all the sudden and I've given away a MAC blush brush because it was too scratchy.  

I have a couple of OCC that are still really soft in comparison to either Suqqu or WG (but not all of them) and two really soft Ecco tools brushes.  

FYI, the first reviews on the new WG Christmas Brush are not great.  

I have already placed a few orders with Beautylish and I cannot say enough good things about them.  

carolang

The 217 is the only blending brush I have and it is really scratchy! Which Wayne brush would you recommend as a similar size? What about a slightly smaller size that might be good for hooded eyes? Which one is slightly bigger than 217 that would be good kept clean for final blending. I realize answering the first question i could deduce the other 2 it's hard to tell which sizes would be good to get for the eyes, but I loveWayne and you've convinced me with your comparisons to mac!

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

Go to youtube and look up @gossmakeupartist and he explains everything each brush is good for and i definitely remember him saying one was for hooded eyes! but he made his brushes to be able to be used for more than one thing so that you dont have to buy so many brushes! :smileyhappy:

sulfate

HI!

I haven't seen the 217 in a while so I can't compare the size exactly.  But, I believe (and could be wrong) the WG #6 is slightly smaller.  But, it's the one people are saying that is closest to the Mac 217 and Wayne also suggests it's the one to use for blending.  That is what I'm doing.  It's very very comfortable on the eyes and I've even been playing with it to blend under eye concealer and it's gentle enough for that too.  The 3 is bigger than the 217 and perhaps the 4 is as well? (it wasn't in stock so I didn't try that one).  But, I think 6 is meant for blending. Supposedly the 4 is a little more dense than the 3 so maybe you could use the 4 for blending but I just don't know. I'm using the 3 for all over color but even though it's bigger than the 6, the 6 is a little firmer so the 6 can do more blending.  Held sideways, the 6 could do crease for hooded eyes (the reviews say people love that brush so much because it can be used for everything).  I have very deep set eyes so I don't do anything in the crease so I can't really help you too much there.  But, for very small eyes, the crease brushes would be either 4 or 5.  I love the 5!!!!  I'm using it to put color around the outer V because it's the most gentle of the brushes, it's small enough to put the right amount of color in the small space, but the point is also more blunt than pointy so for what I'm doing, it deposits color for me in a way I don't really have to blend (vs having it land in a point and then having to spread it around).  It's tiny though so I just don't know if everyone would love it.  I purchased a second 5 for blending eyeliner because it's small and comfy.    I'm happy to email you some pictures of them or any other additional info you would like to help you make the best choice.  FYI, the 4 and 6 are the most popular, from what I've heard.  

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

I have a really hard time blending, I ordered a MAC brush set duo fiber because my current brushes are so stiff they really pull my skin. (Some of them.) 

Would love to hear more feedback on these. My current brushes are Laura Mercier (so soft, my favorites), Sonia Kashuk (cheap I know but soft and transfer a lot of color). I have some Bare Minerals brushes that are ok, some Smashbox and Stila that aren't my favorites. MAC set hasn't arrived, it's the "mineralize" set, on it's way.

Kiki1517

I'll use them for the first time tomorrow but I can tell you that these are almost exactly like my Hakuhodo brushes, which are the softest I own. I use both MAC and Hakuhodo on my eyes daily. I'll have to check out the Laura Mercier ones, I'm currently ogling her bath products but so expensive! 

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

There is a set of Laura Mercier brushes on sale at Haute.  I thought about getting them but really I need to fill in some gaps in my brush set. 

I'll send you a PM and maybe after you've had a chance to use them a bit you wouldn't mind giving me an update on what you think?  :smileyhappy:  Thanks!

Kiki1517

[ Edited ]

I just got #3 and #4 in the mail, they are sooooo soft! I need more stat, hope this line gets expanded. Definitely comparable to Hakuhodo but much faster shipping. The thing I love about Beautylish, my orders process within an hour and I receive my packages in 2 days flat! Unheard of from any other company, mail always takes forever to get to the PNW. If you've been hesitant, get them...now! Isn't their personalized packaging so cute?!

upload_1528448405779717139.jpg

magrat22

(0) Hearts

Did anyone get these brushes?  Am interested to find out what people think of them?

ghkim

i got the whole set when it launched and i love them. they are very soft, very high quality, and wonderful at blending. they are not as stiff as my mac 217 and 239 so i use the wg ones for a more subtle, blended, sheer wash of color and the mac ones for more intense color. i love the powder brush for placement of loose powder under the eyes and in specific places like around the nose. the only one that i didn't love was the white duo fiber one. i initially used it for liquid and cream foundation as suggested. i found that it was good for maybe one use, but clumped up quickly since the hairs are natural and not synthetic. since then i've been using it for powder contours and/or highlight and like it much better for that purpose. i am absolutely glad i purchased the set and am looking forward to purchasing more as they get released.

kiwikeely

Wow I happened to drop by when researching about the Goss brushes...and I have to say for Japanese hand produced brushes (similar brands include hakuhodo and chikuhodo) 210 usd is definitely not a steal..its like an absolute BARGAIN. I have a chikihodo cheek brush that cost me more than 100USD...something like 114usd (?) and that was before they raised their price this August.

emmamaybe

Oh man they're really expensive.  I'll wait a while and see what the reviews are like, the only one I really have  my eye on is the white base brush. 

wendyomgwar

I really want to just get the set! I trust Wayne Goss but at the same time I don't even wear my makeup enough to justify getting the brushes :/ and I kind of want Tom Ford brushes lol

drrragon

wow where do you get your hands on Tom Ford brushes?  Are there any dept stores that carry them?

I'm torn between the Goss set and Sigma Mrs Bunny.....I've been gunning for the Sigmas all year ... but I really like Wayne Goss ..... but it's so expensive..... twiddle twiddle

wendyomgwar

I know Neiman Marcus carries them I don't know if in store though. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 48 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • wendyomgwar
    • aviscardi
    • drrragon
    • sulfate
    • beautylovingirl
    • carolang