knadala

Thursday Questions!

Hi Ladies!

Questions:

1. If you could be a beauty ambassador for any brand, what would it be and why?

2. What are 3 things that draw you to liking a beauty brand? (price, environmentally friendly, no animal testing, etc.)

3. How much do the Sephora reviews play a part in whether you purchase a product or not?

4. I have been a member of the BT community for less than a year, have there been any noticeable changes in the content, rules, users since it first started?

5. How often, if ever, do you participate in giveaways and contests which brands create through social media?

My answers:

1. OMG, I had to think quite a long time before answering this question since I have so many brand loves in both high end and drug store categories, but if I had to pick only one....it would be...Benefit Cosmetics. I will acknowledge that they are lacking in some categories like eyeshadow and eye liner formulations and color variety. But they are great with face products and skincare stuff. Overall the brand packaging, representation, and formula's are wonderful with their highlighters, cheek colors, bronzers, foundations, brow stuff, accessories, and skincare. The eye shadows need more variety in colors and finishes and the eyeliners as well. Revlon was a close second for me :smileyhappy:

2. Formula (not harsh on my skin and easy to apply), Results (can't argue with results), Brand culture (human and animal friendly and packaging).

3. 80%, I know products work differently for everyone, but a lot of the time,if there are a ton of like minded reviews about something, I'll go with the flow.

4. I have noticed one thing since I started, there have been some posts about how people feel like things have changed, and it has caused some longtime Bt'ers to leave. I was confused by this since I didn't know what was going on.

5. I almost never participate, but I guess it's because I feel like I don't have much of a chance of winning...which is amplified when the rules of the contest ask me to start following, liking, tagging, and posting something. Something more simple would probably draw me in. I have only participated in a few from Youtube.

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

1SultrySCENTNut

Re: Thursday Questions!

(0) Hearts

Well,I am just being honest .I read the question and took a moment to think It over and just wrote down the first answer to come to mind. If you read the  "What are you wearing today posts" ,I  tend to wear a lot of SEPHORA's  name brand. At least every post has 2 or more Sephora items included. 

JayReed

(0) Hearts

2. What are 3 things that draw you to liking a beauty brand? (price, environmentally friendly, no animal testing, etc.)

3. How much do the Sephora reviews play a part in whether you purchase a product or not?

4. I have been a member of the BT community for less than a year, have there been any noticeable changes in the content, rules, users since it first started?

5. How often, if ever, do you participate in giveaways and contests which brands create through social media?

1. I think I would go for a skin care line, it would either be PTR or Ole Henriksen. If I had to choose makeup, it would be Too Faced or Hourglass. One is sophisticated and the other just looks so dang fun! 
  2. Packaging mostly, if it's pink or sparkly I will most likely buy it. (I have been trying to be better about only buying cruelty free.)
  3. They play a HUGE part, but mostly BT plays an even BIGGER role in that. Full of enablers and disablers (idk if that's the right word?). :smileyhappy: 
  4. I have been here for about 3 months and I am going to say yeah....
  5. I never participate, but maybe I should!
Titian06

(0) Hearts

Bite Beauty.  Seems to be my current obsession.

- Quality

- Bang for the buck

- Few ingredients

Good starting point.

Yes.

Never.

1SultrySCENTNut

1. I would love to be a SEPHORA ambassador .Reason : It is an affordable alternative to most all of the very top of the line products. It makes certain products, except perfumes, affordable for young women coming into the higher end make up world able to try out and enjoy new products and how to properly use them, it also gives the ability to those on a limited budget / thrifty shoppers a choice on spending money on a High End Product if they feel they do not have the money at the moment an item is needed.

2. Affordability, New Products / Product Lines always appearing in many Colors / shades / sizes.

3. Reviews help me ALOT, especially when I am purchasing a High End, Very Expensive product. If the Majority of people who have purchased or sampled it give it a poor rating - I won't spend my cash on it, I will choose a different brand.

I'm always up for a good sweepstakes /give away/ promotion / contest - I do not know anyone who is not up to getting their hands on a product they like with out having to drain their "play money"

knadala

(0) Hearts

Wow I love it, I think I want to change my answer to Sephora ambassador too LOL.

infinitise

tough choice.. but Giorgio Armani. I don't want to have to lie about the products and with Giorgio Armani, I like most of their products. I'd be honest to the clients and tell them that it might break them out.. 

Packaging, overall image/concept, price (not being too cheap but not overly pricey) 

35%. I also check makeupalley, google (blogs or other website reviews) and Korean blogs/communities 

I do Sephora's survey on occasion and raeview's giveaways.. but is there some people who are exceptionally lucky? or am I just not lucky.. I've never ever won 

annypoo

[ Edited ]

1. If you could be a beauty ambassador for any brand, what would it be and why? UD since I like most of their products

2. What are 3 things that draw you to liking a beauty brand? (price, environmentally friendly, no animal testing, etc.) Quality of product, price, and packaging

3. How much do the Sephora reviews play a part in whether you purchase a product or not? 50/50. i also do some outside research on the product, such as reviews, youtube, etc. 

4. I have been a member of the BT community for less than a year, have there been any noticeable changes in the content, rules, users since it first started? I've been on BT since November, and I have to say there seems to be a lot more drama. That is all I'm going to say.

5. How often, if ever, do you participate in giveaways and contests which brands create through social media? Rarely. I find my luck to be nonexistent and I don't "share" "regram" or "retweet" all that much.

kbmatthews

Urban Decay or Smashbox. I just rely a lot on those two brands, and their quality is pretty consistent. I know I can buy something from them and be content.

Quality/formula, how easily available it is in Canada, and price (though price can be negligible if it's high end and something I really want).

They matter to me a fair bit. I like to read the pros and cons of a product, and sometimes can decides the cons aren't applicable to me, so it's good to get both sides. I tend to look at other blogs too on reviews, just to get a more well-rounded opinion.

I've only been around since December, but the main changes I've seen are ones where people say there have been a lot of changes and they want the old BT back. Unfortunately I wasn't around before that, so I don't know how much has actually changed, but I've been in multiple forums for years, and they always ebb and flow with old users leaving and new ones coming. There's always going to be a bit of drama and clique-i-ness unfortunately, but it's better to just let it slide and move on, or let the mods deal with it. I think Lari worded it well. I'll still be here regardless, because I feel BT still has a lot to offer, and I a lot to offer BT. 

Whenever I see one I like? Lately that's been maybe once a month/every other month. I don't like putting too much effort into contests, so if they require me to do something that I can't do on my computer or wouldn't do normally, I'm out. lol. I never win, though.

malday

Going to have to say Urban Decay. I am a fan of a LOT of their products.

Price will always draw me first but if I find something that's really high quality then I can ignore that. So price and quality mostly.

Not so much, I try to go for word of mouth more.

In short, YES. Too much to explain really.

Not very often, I never seem to win anything so now I just think "meh" lol.

tashalicious

1. If you could be a beauty ambassador for any brand, what would it be and why? Philosophy, i love their skin care products, and i have actually seen results.

2. What are 3 things that draw you to liking a beauty brand? (price, environmentally friendly, no animal testing, etc.)   Price first and then it has to be hypoallergenic

3. How much do the Sephora reviews play a part in whether you purchase a product or not? A lot! if too many people have the same complaint i won't buy the product.

4. I have been a member of the BT community for less than a year, have there been any noticeable changes in the content, rules, users since it first started?  The Mods use to be  a lot more active in post, making themselves visible, i don't feel they are as visibly active as they once were which is why i believe there's been so much drama.

5. How often, if ever, do you participate in giveaways and contests which brands create through social media? i have once, they are usually more trouble than they're worth.

BrennaBombshell

1. If you could be a beauty ambassador for any brand, what would it be and why? I would want to be a BA for Tarte. I haven't found a single thing in their product line that I didn't like or that didn't work for me. I love the way they treat their customers and I feel that I would really benefit others working for a company with good prices, service and product.

2. What are 3 things that draw you to liking a beauty brand? If it's a color product, then it's all about the pigmentation. Other than that, it's the value that I get for the price, the effectiveness of the product and the way they treat their customers in general. I'm not about to support a company that treats me like garbage.

3. How much do the Sephora reviews play a part in whether you purchase a product or not? They play a minor role for me, and usually only if I want to be dissuaded from making a purchase. I'll sort from lowest rating to highest, and then talk myself out of it. But if I'm looking for real information, then I always go on beauty blogs. I find that the answers there are far more informative and reasonable. Also, there's so many "reviews" that are just "Put me on the waiting list" or "OMG this product sux wtf." And that's not useful at all.

4. I have been a member of the BT community for less than a year, have there been any noticeable changes in the content, rules, users since it first started? I've only been a member of the BT community since late December or early January. And even in that short amount of time, I've noticed a huge difference. I feel like I've been a very active member, and I love participating in everything, but there have been so many times where people cause drama or issues out of nothing and then it results in overreaction (or no reaction) from the mods, with zero middle ground. I don't like the way things have gone the last few days, which is why I'm beginning the "breaking up" period with BT. At least for a while. I'm joining up with the other lovelies on the alternate makeup forum, and it's already a ton of fun. While I'm sure I'll always check in on BT from time to time, I just don't see myself being nearly as active (5+ times a day) anymore. It makes me sad, but I do thank BT for giving me so many new internet friends! 

5. How often, if ever, do you participate in giveaways and contests which brands create through social media? Ugggh, I'm that girl on your Facebook page that you hate. I'm always participating, either through creating my own contests for my page or through joining up with others. I try to only do contests that I really, really have an interest in, but still, makeup is makeup, and I love to win things!

LariTheLoud

Chanel, Urban Decay or Nars. Chanel for high-end, Urban Decay for eye shadow colors... But Nars would be the most well-rounded out of all of them, since I like something from everything they offer for the entire face!

Formula, first and foremost. A luxurious formula that performs extremely well will get me every time! And overall brand image. Nars, for example, is quite fresh-faced and modern. Guerlain is classic luxury. Urban Decay is funky bright color (or that's what it was originally and now with the Electric Palette, it's started to regain that a little).

They are one factor in many. I try to get a well-rounded perspective, reading reviews from beauty bloggers, folks on BT, on the Sephora product site, and from vloggers. I also check out the product in person if I think I might consider buying it. I try to be careful about which products I buy; I've never had to make a return yet, because I've been pleased with what I choose!

Honestly, I only regularly started posting at around January, but I can give you a very general opinion of recent events based on my past experience with other online communities. What I've noticed is that BT operates like any other forum-based communities: we chat, we make friends, we have circles of people we grow to really like interacting with. The longer people stay within the community and see the slow changes in forum population and the influx of newer folks that don't understand the ins and outs mixing with the old, the more stale a forum is likely to become. Drama will always happen when you throw a large group of people together, but the best we can do is let it roll right off of us, read, make your own judgments, and continue with life, fun, and makeup obsession. :smileyhappy: Moderating a forum is a tough and thankless job sometimes, and you know, there is always someone who will end up looking like a bad guy in a disagreement or tussle. All we can do, on all sides, is do our best, and treat everyone with respect. That's what I like to do, anyway - I think everyone is deserving of being treated with respect (with a feeeeew exceptions).

In sum: people will come and go, drama will swell and ebb. It happens. We can keep in touch with people who choose to leave in other arenas, but it won't stop me from hanging out with the people I like here, too.

Infrequently. Sometimes I do it for fun, but I never expect to win!

kbmatthews

Well said :smileyhappy:

levid

1. I would be MAC all day long! Though I truly hate some of their products, I think their funk and flair fits me the best. 

2. Range of colors, not necessarily products. I need lots of colors, eyeliners, lips, cheeks, bronzers, eyes you name it! I'm a fan of UD for this reason. 

3. Somewhat...though usually I will buy something anyway if I am in lust with it and if I hate it I will gift it to those less fortunate (i.e. my mother, my sister, my makeup challenged best friend). 

4. I've only been here a week so I dunno, actually I didn't even know it existed until I accidentally found it. I'm sorry "beauty advise" is not something I "need" or will admit to needing but during angry frozen computer clicking I hit it and low and behold a whole new world (yep little mermaid playing in my head or is it Aladdin?)

5. I never enter that crap, I don't want to give out my personal information and I'm so anti-social media I no longer am on FB though I lurk IG and Twitter like a hawk...

properlylost

Urban Decay or Ole Henriksen, they're what products I tend to buy the most and have been the most impressed with quality and always rave about to friends.

Cruelty-free, quality ingredients, and quality product.

They can play a large part. Not the overall rating because most people don't leave very helpful reviews, but I'll go through a few pages and read the ones that are more detailed and sometimes they can sway whether I'll buy something or not.

I feel like the quality of the content has gone down in recent months from people being off put by various things and posting less. When I started getting more active last year there were threads like these a lot more and I loved the show me yours/show you mine threads were everyone showed off their collections and things like that.

Rarely, there's not many giveways from brands I usually like.

etscore1

Burberry - I love everything about the brand and the image they portray. 

• Quality
  • Value
  • Packaging

Definitely impacts my first impression and helps me decide whether to read further and continue to consider or move on.

I've been around for only about 4 months and there's a lot of negativity and clickiness that has become really prevalent. I prefer to use this forum as an opportunity to learn and be informed, if people want to chit chat and otherwise BS over how much everybody likes one another, that's what the Off Topic/Lounge is for. Everybody says "if you don't like it, ignore it," but there isn't actually an ignore feature, so when the BS inundates the board, it definitely negatively affects my interest in the board.

Rarely - but if it can be done without spamming my friends/profile, I like doing them!

jellybean917

I'm glad people are starting to post daily questions again, they're so much fun :smileyhappy:

Dior. I'm obsessed. Or maybe one would call me....a Dior Addict? :smileywink:

This is tough. Quality of product, packaging (I'm a sucker, I know), and overall image of the brand. For some reason, I'm just more drawn to the high-end brands.

Not very much. Most of the reviews are not well-thought out or they don't have any substance to them. For makeup, I try to find swatches. For skincare, it's hard because it's so much trial and error.

I had been creeping on BT for years before I even posted. I think this has become much more of a community as opposed to Q&A, like it was. I think users come and go that create drama where there should be none. We all like makeup so we should all be friends :smileyhappy:

I'm starting to more and more. I have a Twitter basically so I can enter contests.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 20 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • malday
    • properlylost
    • Titian06
    • knadala
    • infinitise
    • jellybean917