Answer
Teen acne

usually i have very clear skin for my age(im 14) my parents both had bad acne when they were my age and my brother has some acne(its not very bad) well i am starting to get more acne and i do wash my face (but i forget to do it sometimes so i do it every other day usually) i have some money leftover from christmas, and i have heard that the clarisonic can help with acne. would you recommend it?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 5
Answered

I agree that acne is something that's very personal to the individual. There's lots of information on the subject of acne but to be honest, there's an awful lot of mystery about the condition as well. My advice is to pay keen attention to your skin and to trust your gut. If you think something you do/wear is a trigger than mark it down. keep an "acne journal" if you will and see if anything is consistent.

I honestly believe that the best way to start fighting acne is from the inside. Keep foods with a lot of saturated fat to a minimum and find a vitamin rich in Vitamins A and E. I know they're kind of gross but I swear by Cod Liver capsules to keep my skin looking even.

I honestly wouldn't recommend the Clarisonic, somehow it seems that using a brush and scrubbing your face in circular motions might do the same thing for your face. I have a feeling that the Clarisonic is a good delivery system. That is, I think that it delivers your skin cleanser to your face in a far more efficient way than if you were to do it yourself. The problem with this of course is that the results you get will greatly depend on the quality of cleanser that you use.  I also think it could get a bit expensive having to replace the brush every 3 months (for $25!!). For such an expensive product 3 months doesn't seem that economical... but hey I could be wrong.

If you haven't done it already, go to a dermatologist and have him/her assess your skin properly. It's always good to know concretely what your skin type is.

Also, you really should be washing your face everyday especially at night before you go to bed I cannot stress that enough and invest in a daily SPF lotion that doesn't irritate your acne. You have no idea how UV rays irritate problem skin.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Answered

Its good to look at what type of acne you have and then find a product that is tailored for you.  For example, if you have dry skin you don't want an acne treatment that is for oily skin, if you have white or yellow lesions you don't want a blackhead treatment.  Some tools can also spread acne if not used or cleaned properly. Some acne is hormonal while other types are caused by bacteria so active ingredients and skin care systems should be looked at carefully.  If you have sensitive or a lot of broken/irritated skin clarsonic may be too abraisive for you and can lead to the spread of acne by increasing your risk of infected pores (the reason behind those pesky white heads). Common active ingredients for over the counter treatments include salicylic acid (like clearasil or neutrogena to dry up pores), benzoyl peroxide (careful, this can discolor your pillow cases and towels, used as an antibacterial but can be irritating), and triclosan (sometimes in noxema but is the main active ingredient in dial, used as an antibacterial but can be drying if you use the hand soap and not a specially formulated face wash). Clarsonic systems are used mainly to exfoliate the skin which in many cases will help clear acne caused by clogged pores and oil not skin imbalances.  I know this doesn't answer your question, but it may help you avoid a lot of trial and error time, along with saving you money. 

Another thing to remember is to try not to touch your face with your hands, keep your hair away from your face, especially if you use hairspray, and look for products that you put on your face to say "noncomedogenic" which means it won't clog your pores.  Liquid make-up is very hard on skin, especially young skin that is sensitive and changing, it tends to cause break outs more often than powders. I hope this helps you get a start on what you're looking for. Good luck! 

Answered
(0) Hearts

I absolutely love my Clarisonic Face Brush...I've had it since they first came out and it's been one of the best investments I've ever made.  Now Clarisonic has a less expensive version called the Clarisonic Mia that you should take a look at:  http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P245414&categoryId=B70   The Clarisonic really gets the deep down dirt, makeup, bacteria, etc., out of your pores which helps to reduce acne breakouts.

A very good cleanser that I'd recommend using either alone or along with the Clarisonic is Clinique Acne Solutions Cleansing Foam.  It is a very gentle, yet effective acne fighting cleanser that you can find at: 
http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P188309&categoryId=B70

I hope this helps you. Smiley Happy

Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi ! I'm the same age, and I can relate to your kind of problem Smiley Tongue I actually do have okay skin- I'm oily in the t-zone, occasional noticeable blemishes on the chin and nose, rarely on the forehead, and mostly pinkness and bigger pores around my nose. Of course, I care alot about my skin. A lot a lot. I wash my face twice a day, spot treat anything, at home facials one to a few times weekly (Body Shop Tea Tree Oil Mask is a current favourite, I love it! ), so it's not like I'm born with okay skin.

My mom still struggles with acne, and has since being a teen. I'm talking weekly cortisone shots, dermatologist trips through life.. the works. She purchased the Clarisonic last year, and I've noticed a BIG improvement in her skin. Then again, that's her skin. 

Just a few weeks ago, I bought the Clarisonic Mia.It's the same as the classic, just a mini size (but the brushes are the same size), one speed, and aroundt $100 less.  Already the whiteheads around my nose are clearing up, my redness is less noticeable, and I haven't been getting random zits on my chin. Smiley Happy It feels SO nice, like a massage for your face. I would definitely, 100% recommend it. Note: If you're getting it, Nordstrom has a great deal. But if you are a Beauty Insider- if you aren't sign up right now! buy it from Sephora. Yes, the value probably isn't the best, but that's like 150 points! Depends. I personally got it from Sephora cause I want to save up my points. Anyways, definitely get it if you're considering it. 

Best of luck! xx

Answered
(0) Hearts

The Clarisonic brush is excellent for getting your skin really clean and it has helped my acne a lot. It does a great job removing makeup and has helped make my pores a lot cleaner and lessened my blackheads. You can also wash with a good acne cleanser like Peter Thomas Roth Beta Hydroxy Acid Acne wash, and do try to wash at least once a day. (The Clarisonic is fun to use, and only takes 1 minute)!

Link for acne cleanser:http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P3553&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=3728

Hope this helps!

Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 4 hearts
  • 6 in conversation