Esdee

Subscription Box Overload?

All that talk about Julep Mavens led me to finally sign up for the box, which is currently DHLing its way to me as we speak.  While I was at it, I scoured the BT forums for threads about other subscription boxes, and wound up signing up for Glossybox, Wantable, and Ipsy, plus put myself on the wait-list for Birchbox.  There were several other boxes that sounded interesting, but eventually I decided that they weren't really for me, based off what they offered and/or how much they cost.

I figure three months of each should give me a good idea of whether I like them enough to keep up with them, right?  At the very least, it'll give my mail carriers something other than Sephora boxes to cart around!

Esdee

Re: Subscription Box Overload?

(0) Hearts

I'm still waiting on Ipsy, but if the next boxes from Julep & Birchbox are anything like the first, I'll probably drop them, too.  Don't know if I could go for panties, though I should probably at least give it a look.  What's the name of it?

GGrace

(0) Hearts

I loved birchbox for a really long time but I just had too many samples, I'd wait them out a little bit longer.

Julep was something I skipped the last 6 months but I love their mystery boxes. they might be my weakness

And ipsy just wasnt for me

JGSFLA

to me NEW BEAUTY test tube is the best..all full size from brands we love like NARS, BLISS, ETC

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

Does that one have a customization questionnaire?  You can't tell until you put in your credit card.  If so, do you find it does a good job sending you items that fit you?

Esdee

(0) Hearts

I haven't signed up for it just yet, but from my experience with the other boxes, and what I've seen scouring the website (I usually do that so I can do a proper review later), it doesn't look like they're personalized.  There's a list down the side of the products in previous tubes if you click on the Reviews tab, organized by season and year.  :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I wouldn't cancel Julep, just skip it. I skipped boxes for almost a year, because none of the colors appealed to me, until this month & I got some add ons. You don't get charged if you skip, but when you do order you save a ton of $ on nail polish 

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

Thanks!

Esdee

(0) Hearts

I've got it on my list to check out now.  :smileyhappy:  And with it only going out 6 times a year, my wallet will probably like it, too!

SirenPrincess

I signed up for Wantable after seeing this thread and just got my first box today.  I ran out to the mailbox when I got the e-mail that it had arrived.  I am so happy to say that I love every single item in my box!  I got an angled foundation brush (awesome!, don't have one of those), a full blush in a color this fair girl can actually wear (so excited!), a nude eyeshadow (not really exciting, but one I would actually buy and wear), and a taupe lipgloss (also something I would buy and am excited to try).  I can't believe I like every single item in the box!  I definitely think they do a good job with the personalization.  I said I love eyeshadow, blush, tools, and lip gloss.  Not only is that what I got, but I got them in colors I like too.  I'll try to post pictures later.  Anyway, I think the extra money for Wantable is definitely worth it since it is so customized and you get full size products.

Esdee

(0) Hearts

Wantable is definitely proving to be my favorite so far, too!  I'm glad to hear you got hooked off my thread.  :smileyvery-happy:

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

I did!  Thank you.  It's really fun!

SirenPrincess

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

As promised, here's a picture of what I got:Wantable Sep 2013.jpg

girlystuff63

(0) Hearts

I subscribe to Allures Beauty Box and am very happy. Sept box was fantastic. Some months are a miss, it just depends, but even in " miss" months, there will be at least one thing I will use/like and the fun of opening a surprise each month of high end girly stuff is worth every penny of the 15 bucks I spend. 

thanks for sharing your pic. May I ask what brands your products are?  I'm interested in another sub box and have been looking into all the different choices. Hadn't heard of wantable and want to check it out. 

Thanks

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

Cailyn blush. Be a Bombshell eyeshadow and lip gloss. Japonesque brush.  I've not heard of any of the brands before myself, but they seem pretty nice quality from what you can tell in a day.  According to the company, retail values is $83, and I paid $36.  I don't know if that's accurate or not, but I guessed what I thought it was worth, and I came up with $65, so still happy.  What made me choose Wantable over the other ones is that you can tweak your preferences really closely.  Like I didn't want any nail polish because I get my nails professionally done, so I can pick no nail polish.  And you can give a general idea of the type of colors you like (neutrals, bold colors, etc).

I'm waitlisted for Ipsy.  That one seems pretty good too and only $10/month.

Esdee

(0) Hearts

Ooo, I may have to tweak my likes so that I get a brush next time around, I never seem to have enough brushes! 

I wound up getting Bombshell in Birthday Suit as well, when the system got my replacement lipgloss hung up for a week.  Have you had a chance to try it?  I've been really lax lately in trying the stuff from my sub boxes, but I've been having so much fun with Tarte's Day To Night palette.  ^_^

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

I did.  I rushed to the mirror and tried everything out.  I was just so excited.  On me (points to how fair I am), Birthday Suit is nearly perfectly flesh toned.  It's got a little bit of a yellow undertone, and seems to work well with my coloring.  The powder is very soft and blendable.  It feels pretty good quality to me.  The only thing I don't like about it is that the package is a little difficult to open.

The Bombshell lip gloss in "taupeless" is a lot browner on than I expected, but I do like it.  It has a nice consistency, feels good on the lips, and is relatively strongly pigmented for a gloss.  I wish it had a bit more shimmer, but that's a personal preference.

The Cailyn blush in 01 Peach Pink looks very orangy in the picture, but it doesn't look orangy applied.  The name actually describes it pretty well.  It's a soft blushed look with just a touch of a coral-pink.  I like it a lot.  And just the right hint of shimmer.

The brush is very interesting.  It's almost halfway between a foundation brush and a paint brush!  But I've been wanting an angled brush, so I'm pretty excited about it.  I've only had it a day, but so far it seems decent quality.

I tried to take some swatch photos, but the weather was just not going to be agreeable to that today.

Esdee

I am officially signed up for Birchbox!  I got my Julep box this afternoon, so I'll be unboxing it tonight.  So excited!

kimchikween

(0) Hearts

I got the Julep today as well!  Are you going to get the next Birchbox?  It's an anniversary version and 100(?) people will get an envelope that gives them 1000 Birchbox points (=$100).

Esdee

(0) Hearts

I ordered it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

hydee77

(0) Hearts

Yeah, three months is a good time frame to figure that out.  I had Ipsy for two months but I cancelled because my packages just took forever to get to me plus the last package wasn't even sealed!  They use a pink envelope instead of a box.  Birchbox is awesome.  I love it, they offer a lot of promos on their site for extra point perks, which I love.  Julep is the longest I have stuck with partly because you can skip a month if you don't like the products or colors.

Esdee

(0) Hearts

I'm struck with a sudden desire to put on the new eyeliner and the new eyeshadow at the same time.  Think it'll come off as too Barney & Friends?  :smileyvery-happy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 81 replies
  • 26 hearts
  • 26 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • hydee77
    • solveig
    • bvnny
    • syritt
    • miabt