Esdee

Subscription Box Overload?

All that talk about Julep Mavens led me to finally sign up for the box, which is currently DHLing its way to me as we speak.  While I was at it, I scoured the BT forums for threads about other subscription boxes, and wound up signing up for Glossybox, Wantable, and Ipsy, plus put myself on the wait-list for Birchbox.  There were several other boxes that sounded interesting, but eventually I decided that they weren't really for me, based off what they offered and/or how much they cost.

I figure three months of each should give me a good idea of whether I like them enough to keep up with them, right?  At the very least, it'll give my mail carriers something other than Sephora boxes to cart around!

starletta8

Re: Subscription Box Overload?

For awhile, I subscribed to almost all of the boxes. Here's what I'm down to and why:

(Also- there's an intersting blog that gets a ridiculous # of subscription boxes for all topics that I like to look at. Not mine, and it's My Subscription Addiction (google it).)

• Julep (try before I buy)
  • Bondi New York (best CS of any company in any field. Happy to support this start-up)
  • Glossybox (interesting mix)
  • Ipsy (value and price work out- and I use the bags!)
  • Naturebox (this is an awesome food one)

I've tried:

• SquareHue (hate the surprise aspect)
  • Birchbox (two different times)
  • Beauty Army (didn't like brand selection)
  • Starlooks (ended up giving sub to mother)
  • Wantable
  • Beauty Bar

So really... two nail subs where I can skip a month, plus customize the box in varying degrees, two beauty subs, and a customizable food sub. Not bad for me!

hydee77

(0) Hearts

I read that blog as well!

Esdee

(0) Hearts

I've seen that blog, and lordy, does it make me want to sign up for a lot more boxes than I'm getting!  At the very least I want to add Julibox to the mix...

I'll have to look up Bondi New York; I like to support start-ups, too, since I know how difficult it is to get something off the ground!

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Bondi's Customer Service became legendary after the Glossybox snafu. The actual CEO took time to directly address the issues with bloggers, and he has been known to answer emails from customers.

That blog totally has enabled me into Naturebox, at least. (Although I won't complain- healthy snacks are a good thing).

Esdee

(0) Hearts

All signed up!  I was pleased to see that even with the block subscriptions (3-months, 6-months, etc.), you're still able to skip a delivery.  At least one of the other boxes won't let you do that.

Thanks for turning me on to them, starletta8!  The more I read on their website, the more interesting they are, and I'm sure going to like talking about them when I give all my sub box reviews.  :smileyhappy:

DST57

(0) Hearts

We love love love our Naturebox subscription. Only wish we could order full-size versions the things we like best.  Also, when we moved, something got mixed up with our new address and we didn't get our box one month.  They actually sent us two plus the next month's to make up for it :-)

Esdee

(0) Hearts

Now I'm tempted to get a Naturebox subscription!  I've just been on some pretty strict diet regimens lately, and it'd be like getting a box of crack delivered to my door every month.  Either that, or everyone else in my household would eat it before I got a chance to!  :smileyvery-happy:

Esdee

Update for those who were curious: I got an email back from Wantable, who says they're going to mail me out another item to replace the replacement, since I really wasn't able to use the "gift card" that was meant to do the bulk of the replacing.  Definitely happy with Wantable!  :smileyhappy:

aparrish

(0) Hearts

Good for them! I love hearing about great customer service. And of course good for you, too! :smileyhappy:

syritt

(0) Hearts

In my Wantable box I got the Cailyn eyeliner in a navy, the Bombshell blush in a coral pink, a Lise Watier eyeshadow quad (champagne/chocolate colors) and lipstick (mauve), and a sample of a face oil. Seems like I got a good draw on this one.

Esdee

(0) Hearts

The Bombshell eyeshadow is a purple, which I don't normally wear, but I can probably work with it.  I'm actually pretty happy with what I got, other than that "gift card" thing.

kimchikween

(0) Hearts

I got Charbon (I think the same)...it's like a charcoal/purple - it's a pretty shade.  I might change my settings so I can get eyeliners instead of mascaras but, otherwise, I'm happy with my first Wantable box

Esdee

Just got done with my video (uploading after editing tomorrow), but here's some pictures for you folks!

WantFull.jpg

Four full-sized items: Nail polish, eyeliner, eyeshadow and blush.  Insert said I was also supposed to get a lipgloss valued at $22; instead, there's the firming serum sample you see in the next pic, with a $25-off-purchase-of-$75 card for the brand that expires tomorrow, which less than pleases me, especially since by all appearances, all of my boxes are going to get here around the end of the month.

WantSample.jpg

If their standard practice for replacing a full-sized product is with a card that expires the day after I get it, and needs me to spend even more money to use it, I'm probably going to stop getting these after the third one.  Not because I don't think the overall value is worth it, but because I hate feeling like I'm being strung along into making fast purchases.

Esdee

(0) Hearts

Anyone who might want to see the video can check YouTube for "September's Wantable Unboxing".  It shows up fifth in the list when I look for it.  :smileyvery-happy:

kimchikween

(0) Hearts

It's interesting to see the differences between boxes - I supposed since I had a focus on mascaras I got more mascaras.  Have you tried the Ombre Souffle Supreme?  The glitter/shimmer got a little messy and all over my eyelid so use a little for better control over where it goes...

Esdee

[ Edited ]

Not yet, I just got home from work and got swarmed by the cats while I was trying to look at everything.  I'm currently pinned down by one at the computer...  I'll be sure to use it sparingly, I'll probably try it out in the morning.

And yeah, I don't really use mascara, since I've got naturally dark & curly lashes, so I put that in my dislikes area to avoid getting it.  XD

kimchikween

(0) Hearts

Just received my Wantable and Glossybox. Unfortunately, the bronzer duo completely cracked and got shimmer over everything...

Wantable had a bunch of Lise Watier.  The insert said I had a brush but instead I actually got a mascara.  Oh, also got a nail polish too - pretty color.

Glossybox had 2 pretty decent size items - a 3.5 oz novex hair cream thing, 3.3 fl oz facial spritz, and some other things.

I haven't tried anything yet but am curious about the Lise Watier items.never heard of that brand.

Esdee

(0) Hearts

My Wantable box is out for delivery, and while I'm hoping it gets here before I leave for work in less than an hour, it's doubtful.  :smileysad: 

But!  This just means I have something fun to look forward to when I get home, and you guys can look forward to unboxing pictures!  :smileyvery-happy:

JGSFLA

(0) Hearts

I used to have all of them but had to narrow it down so I now only subscribe to the high end ones..beauty test tube, wantable, and glossy box..these have mostly full size luxury beauty products by brands everyone loves.

nakedlunch212

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm definitely going through subscription box overload right now, but I love getting them in the mail, so I'll continue on for the time being.

I subscribe to Birchbox, Birchbox Man, Ipsy, Glossybox, Sample Society, Square Hue, JuliBox, and Bespoke Post. I recently canceled Wantable just because the brands they send out don't really change, and I don't love Face Stockholm or Besame so much that I need any more from them than I already have. I'm planning on suspending my Square Hue subscription.

I'd say out of all of them, Birchbox and Glossybox are my favorites. Birchbox for the points system and GB for introducing me to international brands.

Esdee

(0) Hearts

I'm *so* tempted to get the JuliBox.  How do you like it?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 81 replies
  • 27 hearts
  • 26 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • hydee77
    • solveig
    • bvnny
    • syritt
    • miabt