Kiki1517

Social Media

Anyone else get uber starstruck when someone you admire comments on your social media posts? Ahhhh I about dies this morning when valerievixenart commented on the picture of her facechart that I tried to recreate. I hope one day I can be as skilled as this woman!

4eb705585d5f11e3b2e80e06f0b0885f_8.jpgig.png

Kiki1517

Re: Social Media

(0) Hearts

Awe thanks, she is much more so :smileywink:

Titian06

Your picture is really great, Kiki!  Congratulations on getting a Like from someone you admire...that is so cool!  I'm so happy for you that your career dreams are working out so well.  I'm rooting for you too.  :smileyhappy:

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

Thanks! Hopefully it goes far :smileyhappy:

PoesRevy

How awesome and exciting! Congrats and keep up the good work :smileyhappy:

Kiki1517

Thanks!

MarissaPasick

instagram @marissapasick

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

Just followed you :smileyvery-happy: I'm @kandieherrera

spoiledbrat

Kiki I believe in you and you will achieve your dreams; everything is falling into place!  There are hundreds of people on BT that believe in you as well. We cannot all be wrong. Go and conquer! xoxoxo

Kiki1517

Awe thanks, you always have a way of making me smile :smileyvery-happy: I'll get there and I'm practicing, I'm patient and know that everything takes time. Makeup is so my happy place. Even being able to do it just once in awhile makes me feel great lol! 

melde

awesome!!

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

Thanks melde :smileyhappy:

makeupmaven

[ Edited ]

Beautiful job, and yes, when I used to have an account on modelmayhem I was super happy when Diana Carreiro and Anthony Gordon (makeupman) liked/ commented on my work, since they are both some of my favorite makeup artists. I don't do makeup anymore, but I'm still FB friends with both of them.

Check out their work!

And same for twitter/ FB...Peter Giles (The Boss), Steve Dildarian (creator/ Tim) and Leynete (art director) from Life and Times of Tim all became my friends on FB.

Also always happy any time Daedelus favorites one of my tweets to him. <3

Kiki1517

Thank you, I just started a model mayhem account a little while ago. Did you find it hard to sort out the skeez ball photographers? There's so many!

Ooooh (as I start looking up all these names lol). Thanks for all these, I like finding new people to follow that are actually artists and not all about sales and marketing, which many turn into. 

This work of Diana's is gorgeous!

upload_1764251693960045746.jpg

makeupmaven

And yeah, not on there any more, but definitely be careful! Test up test up test up! It's only worth your valuable time if they are giving you a good day rate or you will have photos you want to use. I know you're newer so focusing more on testing than getting paid work is probably good so you can get a portfolio you are proud of. Once you are charging, it's important to know the half day and full day rates of artists in your area so you don't undercut.

My best work came when I worked with a full team..I don't do hair so hair, wardrobe, and a wonderful photographer who doesn't have a heavy hand in retouching. Some of these photographers ended up being friends, and one of my favorite models was Garrett Forbes. We worked on an editorial for Umag (Brazilian magazine). Working with them, it didn't feel like work, even though the photographer (Moja Ma'at) knew exactly what he wanted and how to get it (not pushy though, you just need that direction/ vision).

Sorry for the threadjack! =)

Kiki1517

No, thanks for all the advice, I can take all that I can get lol. That's exactly what I've been using MM for is to find castings to get prints and most importantly practice. I'm shy and get so nervous so I'd like to get some experience under my belt before I start charging. I do charge when I'm just doing beauty/weddings etc, but not shoots.

One of my friends is a well known artist in this area, so I ask her as much as I can, but also don't want to feel like I'm intruding. I had remember seeing a post on her fbk where she and other people in the biz were complaining about undercutting, so I just asked. I was like: I know you guys said you didn't like people undercutting, so what should I charge. I've helped her out so she has seen me work and I trust that she would give me the best place to start.

makeupmaven

[ Edited ]

Awesome, and I forgot to mention that assisting is also good (sounds like you've assisted her). Just for getting the flow of the shoot/ set etiquette, and then if she's busy she may refer paid work to you. In smaller markets (not sure where you are) it's helpful to at least do light hair. I never had much of an interest in hair....

For me it was fun because not only was I being creative, but I got to really learn which products performed/ photographed well and why. I eventually became interested in product development based on my interest in ingredients...worked on Skin IQ for quite a while and I knew that my true passion was skincare.

Anyways, long story short, you never know where it will take you, but enjoy the journey and developing your taste and talent! 

Kiki1517

Yeah I wouldn't mind assisting, I think it's the best way to learn. I wish I could have watched her as well, but when I have assisted her I was doing the makeup for all the bridesmaids so she could focus on the brides, so I didn't have much time to watch :/ I'm kindof the backup though as usually she brings her sister along she calls when she's not available. I will def keep my eye out for people in this area that I would like to learn from (I'm a little north of Seattle).

Definitely have to be able to do hair too in this market, which I don't know how I have learned with no training. Maybe just being the oldest of all girls? I taught myself how to do cornrows in high school one day when I was waiting for the afterschool bus and just watched the african-american girls braiding each other's hair. Went home and tried it on my sisters. Anytime I have done wedding makeup, I have also done the hair. 

It's true, this industry can take you in so many different directions, I'm curious to see where I am 10 years from now...but then I'm not curious to be 10 years older hahaha!

makeupmaven

Yep, she is amazing and sooo nice. Even her creative stuff is sooo clean.

She's been in the industry a long time so she's a great mentor for budding muas!

-Theresa

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 38 replies
  • 60 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • spoiledbrat
    • drrragon
    • poshified
    • MermaidBarbie